Texas Man Chokes to Death on Marijuana

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 01:35 pm
Texas Man Chokes to Death on Marijuana

Quote:
A.P.
FORT WORTH, Texas - A man changing a flat tire choked to death on a bag of marijuana he had stuffed down his throat in an apparent attempt to hide it from police who stopped to help him, authorities said.

Nickolas Sandoval, 24, died Wednesday.

Officers were unaware at first Sandoval had drugs when they spotted him on the highway in Corinth, about 45 miles northeast of Fort Worth, said Corinth police Cpl. Frank Lott.

"Officers went from 'Oh, hey, here is someone with a flat tire' to 'Hey, this guy is choking,'" Lott told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Sandoval, of Ponder, was pronounced dead at a hospital. Cause of death: "asphyxiation due to aspiration of plastic bag," according to a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office.

Sandoval was convicted at least three times of marijuana possession, and pleaded guilty two years ago to a drunken-driving charge.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 01:36 pm
Why do you think they call it dope?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 01:58 pm
That is a wonderful example of poetic justice!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:07 pm
What a tragic waste of good weed!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:08 pm
Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A baby's accidental 911 call led to his mother's arrest when a deputy saw cocaine, marijuana and mounds of cash on the woman's coffee table, according to Local 6 News.

A dispatcher who took the phone call heard only gibberish and a baby crying.

The toddler had dialed 911 and then hung up, Local 6 News reported.

The dispatcher called the number back, but was told by the boy's mother that the baby had been playing with the phone and that everything was fine.

Orange County Deputy Sheriff Jeff Mayer decided to check out the call, and stopped by the east Orange County home of 27-year-old Navera Alexcia Noel.

Sheriff's spokesman Carlos Torres said the woman let Mayer inside the house, where he saw drugs and large amounts of cash lying in plain view on her coffee table.

"At that point she invited him inside the house and as soon as he came in he noticed large amounts of money sitting on the coffee table and large amounts of marijuana," Torres said.

Mayer alerted narcotics officers, who obtained a search warrant. They found 30 grams of cocaine, 100 grams of marijuana and $69,440 in cash. Also found was a .45-caliber handgun that had been reported stolen in Volusia county.

Authorities estimated the cocaine to be worth between $15,000 and $20,000.

"Ironically, what alerted us to this house was the 911 call," Torres said. The child "didn't even know what was going on. He just grabbed the phone to play with it."

Noel was arrested on charges of possession of cannabis and cocaine with intent to sell, and trafficking in cocaine. She was released from Orange County Jail on $7,500 bond Wednesday evening.

The baby was placed with his grandmother, and the Department of Children & Families is investigating.

Deputies were also looking for Noel's live-in boyfriend who was not home at the time of the search.

It could not be determined whether Noel had an attorney.

how about that ladies & gents?!?!

she will, no doubt, appear in my courtroom - wahoo.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm
JUSTICE!

That is a tragic example, in my view, of stupid criminalization.

I would assume he was so fearful cos of some stupid three strikes law? Might he have gone to prison for life for a bag of dope?

Death penalty for possession of marijuana? That was a human being - doing something for which criminalization is a ridiculous and, in this case, deadly response.

Justice? ha!!!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:45 pm
well....as a an ex-weed smoker...I don't think that smoking weed should be legal...though working in the courtroom I've seen some sentences that are really harsh because of it.

I am sooo put off by anything that distorts your mental functions in a manner that could possibly, one day, endanger my children. I have enough to worry about people with full sober possession of their mental faculties endangering them...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:46 pm
He died because he was stupid. Marijuana being legalized has nothing to do with it. No matter if everything under the sun was decriminalized people like this hide stuff from their wives, friends, associates, strangers and what are we supposed to do then? Blame ourselves for the idiocy of some people who boob?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:48 pm
uh oh no. i agree that he was stupid heeven....you wouldn't believe some stupid things I see every day...people just being stpid (in need of a stupid sign)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:08 pm
Laws against pot make less sense than laws against booze, tobacco, and coffee.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:11 pm
Sure they're trying to ban tobacco as it is ... what's next?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:21 pm
So - now he deserves to die for being stupid? How many would live if this were a capital offence?

He died, Heeven, because marijuana is illegal. His stupidity had failed to kill him before this, and would, one assumes, have let him live for longer if he had not been panicked.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:28 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Laws against pot make less sense than laws against booze, tobacco, and coffee.

I agree.

dlowan
I also agree with what you're saying and it's exactly what I was thinking before I read your post.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:04 pm
Setanta wrote:

Why do you think they call it Texas?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
I think Roger as pretty much answered this topic. Next?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:21 pm
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see his name on next year's Darwin Awards.

Geez, he coulda put it in his pocket, hid it in his car, thrown it away when the cop wasn't looking...what was he thinking?!?!?!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:09 pm
Prison, I expect - and then he stopped - thinking AND breathing...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:13 pm
Yeah Eva, I hope he ends up in next year's Darwin awards. Holy mackeral....as they say, if you can't swallow, don't try to suck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:05 pm
roger wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Why do you think they call it Texas?

Tejas is a piece of work, no doubt . . .

How many texans to eat an armadillo?

Three: one to pick out the bones, and two to watch for traffic . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:59 pm
I know this is tragic, and I shouldn't but I just came in and read this and I can't stop laughing........'course I'm pretty stoned..........
0 Replies