6
   

restart drilling baby

 
 
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
I support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision of legitimate regulations and protocals I see no valid reason for the current moratorium.
 
BillRM
 
  3  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision of legitimate regulations and protocals I see no valid reason for the current moratorium.


Other then conducting a complete review of all safety regulations and the enforcement of those regulations and the overall technology in the hope that we can find any problems that might result in another such happening.

We did stand-downs when it came to the space program three disasters beginning with the Apollo program and the military does this as a matter of course when they have a problem with some war machine or other.

Given the cost of having another such blow out when drilling it seem to be just commonsense to have this stand-down.

0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:05 pm
@dyslexia,
I am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.


We are talking about new wells and the percent of oil supply that would be slow down in coming to market is far far less then one percent of our needs.

Second if we had another such blow out now you can forget about the gulf oil and US off shore drilling completely in my opinion for decades.
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm
@BillRM,
We are not talking about new drilling permits, you know. We are talking about work already in progress.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
We are not talking about new drilling permits, you know. We are talking about work already in progress.


It is still very very small percent of the total off shore oil fields production and an even smaller part of the US supply.

Now what the hell do you think will happen if we just go on drilling and we do get another blow out as a result in the near future?

Do you think that the American people are just going to say fine we need that oil or are they going to force a shut down all future drilling off our coasts completely?

So balance the chance of no more oil drilling off our coast to a six months slow down in increase oil production.
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
Oh the oil firms are crazy to had found a low level federal judge with a lot of stock in them to issued a restraining order on the ban.

As the oil is still flowing into the gulf now worst then ever(the cap came off), it is one hell of a bad PR move.

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  2  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.


We won't get an alternative until we accept the fact that we actually need one. Resuming drilling delays this acceptance. It's just going back to the drug, because nobody wants to admit that we have a problem.

Nothing and nobody changes until they are forced to...

Cycloptichorn
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:28 pm
i agree that the drilling should continue

but, in my opinion, any rig that continues to drill needs to be registered in the states, no more foreign flag registrations, that should help with regulating safety to a certain extent
Irishk
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:31 pm
It makes me too nervous. I read about another rig near the one that blew up. It's also owned by BP and is purportedly bigger, deeper and with more output. It also may have some of the same safety concerns. Eek. Then again, it's possible it could operate for years to come without any problems. How many rigs are in the Gulf anyway? Hundreds? Thousands?
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.


We won't get an alternative until we accept the fact that we actually need one. Resuming drilling delays this acceptance. It's just going back to the drug, because nobody wants to admit that we have a problem.

Nothing and nobody changes until they are forced to...

Cycloptichorn


Would that it were that simple. If we stop drilling right now, thousands of people from around the gulf will be out of jobs and the companies will simply go to other parts of the world. We will still be on the oil addiction, but the jobs will be elsewhere. There has to be something less abrupt.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@djjd62,
I think I think that drilling should go on, but I've no confidence in regulations to date. I'd like to hear from farmer on that. He posted very early that there was a diff in rigs between those on the gulf and in the north, re protective devices (if I remember correctly).

I also get cyclo's point about forced attention to new modes.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
I want them to be strict about safety for the rigs, but I don't see how we can quit using oil cold turky. It would be an extended Day the Earth Stood Still scenario - everything that uses oil would have to stop.
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.


We won't get an alternative until we accept the fact that we actually need one. Resuming drilling delays this acceptance. It's just going back to the drug, because nobody wants to admit that we have a problem.

Nothing and nobody changes until they are forced to...

Cycloptichorn


Would that it were that simple. If we stop drilling right now, thousands of people from around the gulf will be out of jobs


I don't care about that at all. The buggy-whip manufacturers all went out of business too.

Quote:
and the companies will simply go to other parts of the world. We will still be on the oil addiction, but the jobs will be elsewhere. There has to be something less abrupt.


Why? Why does it have to be less abrupt?

To avoid inconveniencing people, and no other reason. It isn't as if oil or gas will disappear if we stop drilling; far from it. It will simply become more expensive. I am not concerned by this in the slightest, for that will greatly increase the pressure to kick the habit.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:43 pm
We have a teetering economy and you want to remove billions of dollars and many thousands of jobs from it without even giving the workers advance notice their careers have gone with the wind. I just don't see it and I don't think very many others will either. I agree wholeheartedly with the goal you are pushing, but we have to disagree on how to get to it.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:58 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision
of legitimate regulations and protocals I see no valid reason for the current moratorium.
OK, go ahead.





David
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We have a teetering economy and you want to remove billions of dollars and many thousands of jobs from it without even giving the workers advance notice their careers have gone with the wind. I just don't see it and I don't think very many others will either. I agree wholeheartedly with the goal you are pushing, but we have to disagree on how to get to it.


The economy can't be used as an excuse not to take action, because the economy will NEVER be deemed 'good enough' to deal with systemic change. There is a lot of money tied up in oil interests, money at the very tip top of that pyramid o' wealth in America, and they will fight tooth and nail to stop any serious transition away from it. Just think, if the economy recovered and we were ticking mostly okay, what would you say about a radical new plan to reshape the economy? I think you'd easily argue that we shouldn't change things and put the economy in a nosedive.

I think the opposite is true - this is the BEST time to transition to something new. It is cheaper to do it now than later, because we are already having to spend vast amounts of money to build our economy back up; we should simply spend that money to build it in a more positive direction.

Gotta take the economic impact of oil, all the way it hurts us and costs us money, into account as well when you do the equations, too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:45 pm
It's always the best time to transition to something new. To me, a moderate pace with no yielding to the big oil interests is the way to go. Frankly, I am pessimistic that we will change over before the oil begins to visibly dwindle. And leading the charge to something new and equally expensive will likely be the same ones that led us by the nose through the oil era.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I am of the same opinion. The economy runs on oil. When we get a viable alternative, I will then support that.


We won't get an alternative until we accept the fact that we actually need one. Resuming drilling delays this acceptance. It's just going back to the drug, because nobody wants to admit that we have a problem.

Nothing and nobody changes until they are forced to...

Cycloptichorn


My thoughts exactly...well, almost. I actually have all but lost hope that our collective addiction to oil isn't going to be our doom as a nation.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  3  
Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:15 pm
There can be unintended consequences of adding to the recession's woes. To do it as abruptly as you are promoting, might snowball a political movement that sweeps a Sarah Palin into the White House next election.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » restart drilling baby
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2021 at 05:46:04