restart drilling baby

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There can be unintended consequences of adding to the recession's woes. To do it as abruptly as you are promoting, might snowball a political movement that sweeps a Sarah Palin into the White House next election.

We don't have to stop what's going on, just not move forward with new drilling. Focus our energies moving forward on more sustainable endeavors.

A few points -

- Oil is really useful stuff, and anything we use up now won't be available later.
- We will be able to purchase oil on the open market the same way we do today; it will just become more expensive over time.
- the number of jobs involved in building oil rigs which will be lost, will be lost at any point that we seek to transition to something new. It's unavoidable. But then again, thanks to oil, we have a ton of shrimpers and hotel owners who are fucked too, so the alternative has proven to cost jobs and money as well.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
As I said earlier, I want to get the ball rolling. We might disagree on some of the details, but that's where people in a position to make decisions get together and decide what will work.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:35 pm
emotional reactionaries----it's been about 49 years since a nuclear power plant has been built in the USA. nuclear energy is the cheapest, most reliable, safest, and potentially available source of energy available. The primary reason for the lack of new nuclear generation is emotional knee-jerkism. this knee-jerkism is primarily coming from liberal distortion of facts. coal is our second best energy resource, the technology for clean coal electric generation is only a matter of applied techology, the third source of energy is nat gas, again we only need to improve efficient technologies for acquiring/distributing. The energy solutions are available in the near foreseeable future. What prevents our society from utilization of these energy sources is knee-jerk reactionarism.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:29 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
emotional reactionaries----it's been about 49 years since a nuclear power plant has been built in the USA. nuclear energy is the cheapest, most reliable, safest, and potentially available source of energy available. The primary reason for the lack of new nuclear generation is emotional knee-jerkism. this knee-jerkism is primarily coming from liberal distortion of facts. coal is our second best energy resource, the technology for clean coal electric generation is only a matter of applied techology, the third source of energy is nat gas, again we only need to improve efficient technologies for acquiring/distributing. The energy solutions are available in the near foreseeable future. What prevents our society from utilization of these energy sources is knee-jerk reactionarism.

SO STIPULATED!

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:15 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision
Thats sorta been the problem . Oversight has been nonexistent and supervison has been "baksheesh driven"
The oil company argument is that seafood is 1% of the economuy of the Gulf but oil services and drilling is 16%. However, , boatbuilding, real estate, hospitality , etc account for , collectively, greater than 50% of the economy.
I dont think they have a foolproof method of blowout prevention in their quivers yet. That alone needs to be pilot tested and made available to prevent even more of these events.

This isnt Nigeria where the oil prodeuction has left the land and gulf a toxic wasteland.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:11 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision of legitimate regulations and protocals I see no valid reason for the current moratorium.

I, and, more importantly, U.S. District Judge Martin L.C. Feldman agree with you.

Unfortunately Ken "The Boot" Salazar is trying to figure out a way to bypass Judge Feldman's ruling.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
"I don't care about that at all. The buggy-whip manufacturers all went out of business too."

This is similar to your posts on bums... what I have called posts from a chair.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:50 pm
If that storm gets over the spill area this weekend, it could get even more interesting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:55 pm
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/overview_atl/atl_overview.gif
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not all against deep sea drilling. I am against it when I don't believer proper regulations and the watchdogs on that are in place.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:41 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

"I don't care about that at all. The buggy-whip manufacturers all went out of business too."

This is similar to your posts on bums... what I have called posts from a chair.

And yet, the buggy-whip manufacturers are out of business. And 'saving their jobs' would have been a terrible reason not to move forward into the future. Yet that is the argument which is currently being made.

You can think that I'm as callous as you like, it doesn't change the way that history or the world work. I've lost a job due to an industry downsizing; I didn't bitch and moan about it. I just moved on with my life.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
Public support for drilling is plummeting.

http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=1745

Quote:
Opposition to allowing more offshore oil and gas drilling in U.S. waters has grown dramatically in recent months as oil continues to flow into the Gulf of Mexico. For the first time since the question was first asked nearly two years ago, a majority (52%) opposes the government allowing more offshore oil and gas drilling in U.S. waters. That is up from 31% in February and 38% in May, shortly after the April 20 rig explosion that triggered the leak. In April 2009, 68% favored allowing more drilling in U.S. waters; 27% were opposed.

Support for offshore drilling has dropped across party lines, most sharply among Democrats and independents.

This is a necessary first component to the changes that need to be made in order to transition us away from our addictions - a realization that there is a problem.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I support lifting the moratorium on oil well drilling in the gulf. With responsible oversight and supervision
Thats sorta been the problem . Oversight has been nonexistent and supervison has been "baksheesh driven"
The oil company argument is that seafood is 1% of the economuy of the Gulf but oil services and drilling is 16%. However, , boatbuilding, real estate, hospitality , etc account for , collectively, greater than 50% of the economy.
I dont think they have a foolproof method of blowout prevention in their quivers yet. That alone needs to be pilot tested and made available to prevent even more of these events.

This isnt Nigeria where the oil prodeuction has left the land and gulf a toxic wasteland.

The posters against drilling - at least as long as it is not foolproof environmentally and safetywise - have swayed me. I now side with the ones who say make the transition away from oil, using this for a starting point. I know it will not happen, but, well, it ought to happen.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
We need to accomplish ALL these things and at once.
I favor

1Moaratoria on the drilling until blowout protection at these extreme depths is FOOLPROOF .

2Research on appled drilling techniques using water jet drilling and fracking along with better slant drilling technology.

3Search for more oil fields at greater rock depths and research into conversion of green river shakles into good complex ester diesel fuels (We have enough for a 200 year diesel economy is the several waxy shale deposits)

4Reserch into algae esters, solar, geothermal and several other fixed base energy systems(Im not a big wind fan , its not as viable as say, solar which is at projected energy needs , 6000times more than all the other energy means combined(including nuke)

5 nuke research and fusion research to bring the solar energy day closer.

6 non wire energy transmission.

7More energy efficient forms of transport
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:37 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, I've come to accept your thinking. But I know human nature well enough to know there are very few seriously thinking about it. Most persons I meet with around here call Obama names for wanting to even think about slowing the drilling, calling him a crook and wishy washy at the same time. Business as usual for most.
0 Replies