did the earth move for you?

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
people got off calls with colleagues in Connecticut and Montreal (those places are a long way away) - they felt it

This is the first I'm hearing about it. So no, I didn't feel it in New Hampshire.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:19 pm
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/42.52.-80.-70.gif

Magnitude 5.0 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA
2010 June 23 17:41:42 UTC

Versión en Español

* Details
* Summary
* Maps
* Scientific & Technical
* Additional Info

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.0
Date-Time

* Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 17:41:42 UTC
* Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 01:41:42 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 45.862°N, 75.457°W
Depth 18 km (11.2 miles) set by location program
Region ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA
Distances

* 38 km (24 miles) N (356°) from Cumberland, Ontario, Canada
* 44 km (28 miles) NNE (21°) from Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
* 51 km (32 miles) NNE (26°) from Hull, Quebec, Canada
* 53 km (33 miles) NNE (21°) from OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Quebec earthquake rocks New England

Updated: Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010, 3:19 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

QUEBEC (FOX 25 / myfoxboston.com) - A 5.5 magnitude earthquake that hit the Ontario-Quebec border region of Canada has been felt all the way in New England.

The earthquake, which was reported at around 1:41 p.m., has been felt in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

The tremors have gone so far as to cause evacuations in Massachusetts, including buildings in Wellesley and Brookline. People across the state have reported shaking and swaying.

Katie Collins, a college student at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams, said she felt the effects of the quake in her dorm room on the 7th floor.

Her chair began to shake and the water in her fishbowl started flashing, Collins told FOX 25.

Jonathan Collins felt the quake at the Hanscom Air Force Base near Bedford. In an e-mail to FOX 25, he said that he experienced "a gentle, barely noticeable swaying for about 45 seconds."

Reports also came in of tremors in Vermont and New York, felt in places as far as Albany.

The Associated Press reports that there have been no immediate reports of damage.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the area experiences around three or four small earthquakes a year. The last major incident was a 6.2 magnitude earthquake in 1935.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:39 pm
Some people here in Chicago felt the Ottawa earthquake and were interviewed on the local news.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:54 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Some people here in Chicago felt the Ottawa earthquake and were interviewed on the local news.

Reporter: Did you feel it?

Customer: Yaeah, I did. It come right out of the polebeans. I said, "Doooon't look, Ethel, but she'd already bin moved, tormented, she got a freebie right there in the dairy section.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:55 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
whoa - the building really sways on the 24th floor

Oh yes! That sure can be an earthquake magnifier.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:41 pm
Felt it here in Detroit. On the fourth floor. I started feeling kind of dizzy and thought I was getting sick and then my chair slid forward into my desk and I realized it wasn't me, it was the building. It only lasted for a short time but it was SO weird.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

the twitter feed to cp24 says it was felt in North Bay and Sudbury - northern Ohio, Michigan, New York, Philadelphia ...

Yeah, supposedly it was a measurable thing here, some locals claimed they felt it, I didn't! I think I was on the road at the time though.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:14 pm
Got it in Utica, NY. In a meeting and the projector started shaking. It was very weak here though.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
I'd be interested in viewing any video that was being taken at Niagara Falls at the time. Curious to see if there was a change in the flow at all.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:33 pm
A few reports of structural damages coming in now...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html

Quebec quake damages buildings, highway

A Quebec town near the epicentre of a 5.0-magnitude earthquake is calling for emergency help after tremors felled the steeple of its church and damaged several other buildings, including the town hall.

Wednesday's quake badly damaged Gracefield's church and a local restaurant, Quebec provincial police reported.

It also caused significant damage to a community centre and a hotel, Mayor Réal Rochon told RDI, CBC's international radio service. Police reported that no one was hurt.

The temblor hit at 1:41 p.m. ET south of Echo Lake, Que., 60 kilometres north of Ottawa near the Ontario border, and was felt across southern and eastern Ontario and western Quebec — as well as in some U.S. states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Jersey and New York.
Your Report

Do you have footage of the quake? Send us your photos and video.

Rochon has called for emergency help from nearby Maniwaki, Que. Gracefield is about 40 kilometres west of Echo Lake.

Some local streets were closed to avoid injuries, and town employees were sent home for the day because they were so shaken up by the incident.

Rochon said he was arriving at the municipal offices when the quake hit.

"I saw the employees in a panic, running out of the building," he said. I personally called 911 to ask for help. It was terrible to see."
Highway buckles

A section Highway 307 near Bowman, Que., north of Ottawa, buckled as a result of the quake, shutting down that route.

Quebec Transport Minister Julie Boulet said officials would be conducting inspections of infrastructure in the Outaouais region to make sure nothing else was damaged.

"Be assured that we will be very, very vigorous about the quality and the security of our structures," Boulet told reporters in Quebec City.

Buildings in Toronto and Ottawa were evacuated in the minutes following the tremors, and Ottawa's O-train was shut down until further notice.

Windows at Ottawa's city hall shattered, and a brick chimney came apart at the nearby solicitor's building, dropping bricks that fractured both inside the fireplace and outside the building.

Employees on Parliament Hill were evacuated from buildings and sent home. Crews were inspecting main and satellite buildings to be sure they were safe. Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he did not feel the earthquake.

The Ontario Provincial Police reported no injuries, but the Ottawa fire department said it was overwhelmed with false alarms.

In Montreal, the Metropolitan Transport Agency briefly shut down four of its five commuter train lines as CN and Canadian Pacific inspected the tracks, but had reopened them before 5 p.m.

"Earthquakes across [this part of] Canada are definitely rare, but we do have them," said Johanna Wagstaffe, a CBC seismologist and meteorologist.

"There are small fault lines along Lake Erie and Lake Ontario," and a "relatively active fault line that runs parallel to the St. Lawrence Valley," she said just minutes after the quake.

The last comparable earthquake on that fault line measured 5.4-magnitude in 1998, she said.

Janet Drysdale, a seismologist with the Geological Survey of Canada, said people should take precautions to protect themselves in the event of aftershocks, either by taking cover under a desk if the building is solidly constructed or leaving the building and getting a safe distance away if the building is poorly constructed.

She said that because the Ottawa area is in an earthquake zone, most of the buildings have been built to withstand this type of earthquake.

Felt like 'dynamite'

Geneviève Blais lives on Hawk Lake, about five kilometres from the earthquake's epicentre in western Quebec.

She said she and her husband were doing some work on the deck when they noticed the first tremor.

"Thank God we weren't on a ladder," she told CBC News. "It felt like someone set off dynamite below us. Pictures fell from the walls and lamps got knocked off their pedestals."

Blais said she still felt rumbling below the house at 2:40 p.m., nearly an hour after the earthquake was reported.

"It sounds like thunder, but the electricity hasn't gone out," she said.
Office workers shaken

Kathleen Sullivan was working on the eighth floor of an office in downtown Toronto when the quake hit.

"It was very peculiar, because we could actually see the plants on our window shelf shaking.

"By the time we gathered in the hall and figured out it wasn't our imagination, it stopped. But it was easily a minute of things shaking."

The quake was felt as far southwest as Windsor, Ont., along the Canada-U.S. border.

"I was just laying in bed … and the bed just started to move side to side … just gently," said Darren Bonnici, who lives on the 10th floor of an apartment building along the city's riverfront.

"Sort of, almost like a mother would rock a baby in a crib," said Bonnici, adding the feeling lasted for about five seconds. "I thought right away it must have been an earthquake."

The earthquake was felt across Montreal and in the city's outer regions, including the Laurentians and the Chateauguay Valley.

Marcel Maheux said he felt the ground move under his house in the Laurentians just after 1:45 p.m.

"It was big enough that my house and windows shook hard," said Maheux, who lives in Rivière-Rouge. "It lasted at least 15 seconds and it passed, but it was very, very strong."

Hugh Maynard, who lives in Ormstown, southwest of Montreal, said his house was "rocking back and forth."

Montreal police said no damage was reported to them.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's a long way from Niagara Falls to the valley of the Ottawa, north of the city of Ottawa. There was video on the Weather Channel by a guy in Ottawa who had his video camera running at the time. What was interesting about that was that you hear the earthquake there.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:01 am
Eating lunch on the roof-deck yesterday afternoon.

Just as an airplane cruised overhead out of JFK and headed West...
I felt a weird vibration..it lasted four or five seconds...

"Wow", I said, "That didn't seem that low, but it must have been or I am losing it"

Later, in the elevator, one of my neighbors asked me if I felt the earthquake..."Ah," I thought," what a relief. Not the airplane and I wasn't having a stroke.

I am on the North End of Manhattan Island, Washington Heights, New York City, New York, USA, North America, Planet Earth.

Joe(What was the damage done up North?)North

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:07 am
apart from the earthquake, Ontario got hit with a tornado last night

now, unlike the naming of hurricanes, we let the storms destroy communities in a more or less alphabetical order, two weeks ago it was Harrow, Kingsville and Leamington that were hit, yesterday Midland

if i lived in Napanee or Orleans or Oshawa, i'd be worried the next time the skies darken
djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:18 am
@djjd62,
Warnings dropped after suspected tornado touches down in Midland
Madeleine White
Staff Reporter

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/11/cb/ea57cf064cd8ba973f046244fab8.jpeg

All tornado warnings in Ontario were dropped just after midnight on Thursday.

This news that further damage is unlikely comes as a relief after a suspected tornado ripped through the town of Midland, tearing off the roofs of several buildings, toppling trees and displacing about 150 people.

The damage led officials in Midland to declare a state of emergency Wednesday night.

Local officials described the damage as “extensive” and said there had been some injuries, although no serious injuries were immediately reported. Thousands of people were left without power.

“I have people in the field that tell me it’s quite bad,” said Mayor Jim Downer.

The first reports of funnel clouds came in at 6:50 p.m. after a severe thunderstorm cell quickly developed in the area, said Environment Canada meteorologist Mark Seifert.

Several residents reported seeing strong winds and darkened skies.

Celeste Beck, 31, was in the town’s Wal-Mart, on Highway 12 near William St., when the storm hit.

“The lights flickered, the power went out, and we were rushed to the centre of the store,” she said. “It was black outside and you could see the shopping carts whipping by the door. When they let us out, the cage around the garden centre was destroyed.”

Downer said Smith’s Camp, a mobile home park in the heart of Midland, was hit particularly bad.

“Of the 40 mobile homes, they’re totally destroyed,” Downer said.

Karen Wright, an employee in the park’s store, said: “I hear one person was taken to the hospital, ambulances were going in and out, and the power is off.”

Other residents said a local car dealership was severely damaged.

“The Honda dealership’s roof blew off,” said Betty Carter, 88, who watched the storm from her home. “Everybody in Midland that’s under 20 has come out to see the damage.”

Officers from Barrie’s police force and the Ontario Provincial Police were called in to help respond to the disaster.

Environment Canada says it will have to analyze the pattern of debris in Midland before it can confirm if it was, in fact, a tornado.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Those swayers are scary.

You're lucky you don't live in LA or Frisco where real earth quakes are, not just tremors.
0 Replies