Honor, adore and worship. Why?

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:03 am
mark noble

Anger at your foolishness transferred to me is a good start to thought. Good for you.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:10 am
@DrDick,
DrDick wrote:

Yes. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to answer or find out with your thread? Are you attempting to state that you do not?

I am trying to point out that emotion laden labels are thigns shared.

If you love someone and there is no reciprocity then you waste your love and it will soon die if it is not returned by the recipient.

If you adore and honor a God who does not accept it and return them, these will die as well.

There is a God that does and if yours does not then you deceive yourself and that is not a good way to go through life.

Regards
DL
sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:39 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

sozobe wrote:

What is the purpose of worship, though? Is all of its meaning directed towards the entity receiving the worship?

While I don't actively worship anything myself, I think there can be value in the act of worshipping for the worshipper. Meditation, a sense of meaning a purpose, a sense of community, a sense of structure, lots of other things.

So you are saying that it is basically an act of selfishness and self gratification.
Perhaps. Rather shallow though.

Regards
DL

I think worship can (not always, to be sure) be pretty much opposite of self-gratification, and in many religions that's the point. Sadhus in India divest themselves of worldly possessions and mortify the flesh in a variety of ways. Self-denial and helping others is frequently a cornerstone of worship.
DrDick

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:53 am
@Greatest I am,
The return on one's emotional investment with God varies. What measure are you using? What do you define as reciprocity?
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:21 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

sozobe wrote:

What is the purpose of worship, though? Is all of its meaning directed towards the entity receiving the worship?

While I don't actively worship anything myself, I think there can be value in the act of worshipping for the worshipper. Meditation, a sense of meaning a purpose, a sense of community, a sense of structure, lots of other things.

So you are saying that it is basically an act of selfishness and self gratification.
Perhaps. Rather shallow though.

Regards
DL

I think worship can (not always, to be sure) be pretty much opposite of self-gratification, and in many religions that's the point. Sadhus in India divest themselves of worldly possessions and mortify the flesh in a variety of ways. Self-denial and helping others is frequently a cornerstone of worship.

Make up you mind.

“can be value in the act of worshipping for the worshipper.”

Indicates a benefit for the worshiper.

“Self-denial and helping others is frequently a cornerstone of worship.”

This also shows the worshipper feeding his own ego that says, what a good boy am I.

Again indicating a benefit for the worshiper.

People tend to do what is rewarding. If there was no reward for doing something then we would likely not do it.

Regards
DL
mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@Greatest I am,
Hi Greatest,

What anger? I'm not angry. I'm just correcting you on your misinterpretation of my dialogue.

Here's a thought thought for you though ------ Only a fool rebukes a fool.

Hence - By condemning that which one believes to be foolish, One is merely exposing oneself as a fool.

Don't you agree?

A wise man seals his lips in such matters.
And - "A man who is wise in his own wisdom, is a greater fool than He who is not".........

Have a terrific day, Greatest.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:35 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

Make up you mind.

“can be value in the act of worshipping for the worshipper.”

Indicates a benefit for the worshiper.

“Self-denial and helping others is frequently a cornerstone of worship.”

This also shows the worshipper feeding his own ego that says, what a good boy am I.

Exactly. It's consistent. A given action can both be valuable for others and valuable for the person performing the action.

At some level, absolutely everything is selfish. If a sliding scale is applied, what some worshippers do is at the far regions of the selfishness scale (approaching, if not reaching, "truly unselfish").
DrDick

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:14 pm
@sozobe,
Agreed.

I think this is what "Greatest I am" is struggling with. He/she presents a picture of either yes or no, without consideration for degrees of honor, adoration, or worship.

In addition, Greatest is struggling with his/her internal perception of what observable value must be provided by God, the sun, one's parents, etc. before wasting one's time honoring, adoring, and/or worshipping said object.
Greatest I am

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:06 pm
@DrDick,
DrDick wrote:

Agreed.

I think this is what "Greatest I am" is struggling with. He/she presents a picture of either yes or no, without consideration for degrees of honor, adoration, or worship.

In addition, Greatest is struggling with his/her internal perception of what observable value must be provided by God, the sun, one's parents, etc. before wasting one's time honoring, adoring, and/or worshipping said object.

Perhaps.
It has yet to be shown how one adores just a bit or adore just a bit or worship just a bit or just a bit selfish.
Then again, there are many that just a bit Christian.

Regards
DL
Pemerson

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

Perhaps this is why one of the Jesus archetypes said, have ye forgotten that ye are Gods?

Yes, I think a small light within all of us is God. Why are we looking elsewhere? We are like beings who dove into the ocean eons ago, learned to live as fish do, and now we think we are fish. Remember the little book that came out in, I think the 70s, Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach?
DrDick

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:52 pm
@Greatest I am,
I find it disingenuis that you would state the capability to adore one thing more than another has to be shown to you. I believe you only make that statement to keep your view intact. If you are unable to reflect on your own experiences in life and concede that there is such a thing as degrees of honor, worship, or adoration then my time is better spent participating in more productive discussions.

I hope this thread has been beneficial for you. I also look forward to discussing issues with you in some other threads.

Regards
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:01 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Perhaps this is why one of the Jesus archetypes said, have ye forgotten that ye are Gods?

Yes, I think a small light within all of us is God. Why are we looking elsewhere? We are like beings who dove into the ocean eons ago, learned to live as fish do, and now we think we are fish. Remember the little book that came out in, I think the 70s, Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach?

It is unfortunate that way to many will just follow some idol or God without doing the search for a true God and yes, it is accessed from within us as the Gnostics used to teach. that is why the Christians killed them and burned their gospels.

Regards
DL
Pemerson

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 06:30 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

It is unfortunate that way to many will just follow some idol or God without doing the search for a true God and yes, it is accessed from within us as the Gnostics used to teach. that is why the Christians killed them and burned their gospels.

A perfect loving God created us in his own image. But, God is spirit, and he created the spirit within us, not these bodies. Lesser gods created this world, and our bodies (who could possibly think otherwise?). As children of God, we have no need to worship, or be in awe of our creator. Our only purpose in life is to connect with this perfect, healing presence within us and to remember who we truly are. These concepts were removed from the Book of John by the early Roman Bishops.

This is the way I see, but then as a child nobody filled my head with ideas that somebody told them, that somebody told them, that somebody told them...I've always studied on my own.

Perfect thoughts to you, Greatest
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 11:10 pm
@Greatest I am,
You make an excellent criticism of primitive idolatrous religion. True, if God were just some vain being, such adoration would be questionable. The next question, in my opinion, is asking what indeed is worth honoring, adoring, and worshiping? You quote "Ye are gods" and this seems on the right track. Life in all its beauty is perhaps the "God" worth honoring, adoring, worshiping.

But how does one honor/adore life? By enjoying it to the full, perhaps. By being grateful for our mortal portion, awake to its beauty and wonder. That sort of thing. 2 cents.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:04 am
@djjd62,
I honor you sufficiently with this Sunday morning reply ? I value your ease with words, like Babylon disaster never happened. Can a God make mistakes or is this a human and angelic thing...
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:08 am
@Krumple,
I studied Bes. One of the few ancient "gods" who was a peoples god. I got fascinated by the character (changing as Time went by) and the history of his worship along the mediteranian coasts of Africa and Spain.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:19 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Only a fool rebukes a fool

Thât's what I often think, reading "religious" postings. Nobody knows, every-one tries to convince the other.
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:39 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

A perfect loving God created us in his own image. But, God is spirit, and he created the spirit within us, not these bodies. Lesser gods created this world, and our bodies (who could possibly think otherwise?).

This is all hear say and Bible say.

You have bought into a myth. Try sticking to reality even if it hurts.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Only a fool rebukes a fool

Thât's what I often think, reading "religious" postings. Nobody knows, every-one tries to convince the other.

Depending on the issue at hand, some things can be seen with logic and reason.

This eliminates fantasy characters for all who can use reason.

This also states that literalists and fundamentals cannot use reason and intelligence is discussion of religion. They begin by believing in talking animals and reason does not go well with this type of silly thinking.

Regards
DL
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:03 am
@Greatest I am,
I won't rebuke you because U're no fool.

0 Replies