Ban on Ice Cream Trucks

Linkat

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:41 pm
Should there be a ban on ice cream truck? At first I thought how crazy, what is summer without these ice cream trucks. Then I began reading various news articles about different communities banning ice cream trucks and/or certain rules they need to follow and some of it made sense as some communities have no rules.

For example - banning sex offenders from driving them (makes sense)
Can't play music and/or restricted music when stopped - again if it parks next door to your house for an hour you'd like it stopped.
These don't make sense - no parking at playgrounds/schools/ball fields - basically any where children are. Banned between 5 and 7 pm.
And some towns completely ban them.

So are you for or against the sacred ice cream truck? What sort of restrictions should be imposed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,738 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

Brandon9000

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
I have pleasant memories of them and I hope that they stay around.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
Really? How sad

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:48 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, save the trucks!

I don't mind hearing the music when the truck comes through my neighborhood. It's a nice sound of summer. I wouldn't put any ban on them.

This is the sort of truck I happily recall from my past. No music, only a little bell, and we always managed to hear it and answer the call.

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_arts_john/051308goodhumor.jpg

I also remember these, although Good Humor was my fav.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/bungalowbar1240356810.jpg
0 Replies

Pangloss

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
If the sound of ice cream trucks is worthy of a ban, then we should add lawn mowers, motorcycles, and "performance" exhaust systems for cars to the list.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
I remember running into the house to see if I could get a quarter to get an ice cream once I heard the familiar sound of the ice cream truck coming down the block. Or if I was very lucky, a Rocket Popcicle.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:44 am
I like ice cream trucks. I hadn't heard one in the recent years when I lived in northern california, so when I first heard one here in new mexico, I went out and got an ice cream bar - a pleasant experience. Time has passed and I no longer just zoom out the door to catch one, and it turns out that might be just as well. We have a recent thread here at a2k giving news info about a reckless and gun wielding/threatening ice cream truck guy - and the last I read of that is that the ice cream truck company stood up for him. Butrflynet has seen him driving recklessly more than once. (We live in nearby neighborhoods.) So, yuck to that. Link - http://able2know.org/topic/145704-1

Still, that might point more toward some regulation/oversight rather than banning the trucks that I figure have brought some happiness to folks over the years. Plus, there seem to be some neat new ice cream truck companies. Then there are paleta carts, which I also like..

firefly

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:

NY Times
August 19, 2009
When Parents Scream Against Ice Cream
By HELENE STAPINSKI
IT’S a spectacular day at Harmony Playground in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, with children swinging and running through sprinklers. An “icy man” with his pushcart of fruit ices stands near the jungle gym, as parents look toward the gated entrance. A second ices vendor enters, also setting up shop inside the playground’s cast-iron fence.

Vicki Sell, mother of 3-year-old Katherine, tenses when the vendor starts ringing his little bell, over and over, hoping her daughter doesn’t have the typical Pavlovian response.

Ever since Katherine had an inconsolable meltdown about not being able to have a treat, Ms. Sell has been trying to have unlicensed vendors ousted from the park. She has repeatedly called the city’s 311 complaint hot line, joining parents nationwide who can’t stand the icy man or his motorized big brother, the ice cream man.

“I fall into the camp of parents who are irate,” Ms. Sell said. She has equal disdain for Mister Softee and the ice cream pop vendor outside the park, but since they are licensed, there is not much she can do about them.

“I feel kind of bad about having developed this attitude,” she said. “I want Katherine to have the full childhood experience and all. But it’s really predatory for them — two of them — to be right inside the playground like this.”

Ms. Sell says she is not obsessed with health and nutrition. She — and others — feel they have been pushed to the brink by that little bell. Across message boards and playgrounds, soccer fields and day camp exits, parents have been raging. In a greener, more health-conscious, unsafe world, the ice cream man has lost some of his mojo.

read the rest of the article here...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/dining/19soft.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hp

I think parents have to learn how to say, "No" to their kids, and the children have to learn how to accept that for an answer. The solution isn't to ban the ice cream trucks from being outside a playground, although I do feel they should not be allowed inside the playground. I can also see the wisdom of banning them from being outside a school. Children are eating and drinking enough sugary junk these days without tempting them to consume even more as soon as they exit the schoolhouse door.

Linkat

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
@firefly,
Glad you wrote that - parents need to learn to say "No". When I was reading that article that is immediately what went through my head. What is this mom's problem - just say no to the kid if you don't want to buy her an ice cream. What is so hard about that. I do it all the time. I am a mean mom.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
Funny story - what prompted me to write this was a discussion on the radio about the banning of ice cream trucks - which town has them, etc.

So this guy calls in and tells his story-
There is an ice cream truck that comes by his house every evening right before or close to dinner time. He says he kids go crazy when the truck comes, but because it is near or during dinnner they are refused ice cream. He figures to prevent the melt down (of the kids), he'd go and talk with ice cream man. So he asks him to come a little later (after dinner). Ice cream man flips him the bird and tells him to f*ck off.

The guy goes to the local hardware store and buys these (I forget what he called them) but some sort of large nails and places these nails right where ice cream man parks. Again next night ice cream man shows up with that irrating music - a little latter he drives down to get milk and as he is driving he sees ice cream man - truck is on its roof with ice cream spilled all over the road. Kids are taking the ice cream - ice cream man is unhurt, with just some bumps and bruises standing nearby with a look of disbelief. Guy slows down and rolls down the window and flips ice cream man the bird and says how the f*ck do you like (or some such thing).

He never sees ice cream man in his neighborhood again.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:38 am
@Linkat,
Criminal!

... I mean it, that was probably highly illegal and dangerous, that guy should be ashamed.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I laughed my a$$ off when I heard it. Of course after I heard ice cream man was ok.

He wasn't trying to hurt the guy - just give him a flat tire or two.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@firefly,
I agree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
That's a silly premise in the first place.. people eat dinner at different times. Besides, ice cream bars can usually fit into one's freezer.
I think the nails thing is an immature way to handle it, with potential dangers, including what happened re the truck, but not limited to that. Not that flipping what may or may not have been a guy with an irate presentation and request re the route guy is all so wise either.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:19 pm
its all part of the growing litigious trend in the United States. First cigarettes, then fast food, banning soda machines in schools, now ice cream trucks.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:45 pm
I remember a rather sublime experience at the Lowell Folk Festival in 1987 when I discovered ChocoTacos from an ice cream truck for the first time. The ice cream truck is a true rite of summer, and the first time you bum a buck from your parents and buy an ice cream ALL BY YOURSELF, with no grownup helping you, is an American rite of passage.

Don't ban 'em. Maybe limit them to playing the tune twice when stationary, rather than continuously. One often parks by the Mystic Lakes beach in summer here, and he usually carries ChocoTacos, so I stop when I go that way. Still. The best part of taking my car to my mechanic.
0 Replies

cindyloohoo2

Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
Toss all of them in the junk pile and don't forget to turn off the Christmas songs in the middle of July!
tsarstepan

Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:11 pm
@cindyloohoo2,
Good evening Cindyloohoo and welcome to a2k. What an odd coincidence to accidentally revive this thread on this night when another controversial thread on censorship and banning is at it's bonfire heights.

I personally have nothing against the actual ice cream trucks but I can't stand their annoying clarion call. Ban the electronic trill/excuse for music and recommend that the ice cream trucks drive down busy commercial avenues and move them from residential streets during late evening hours.
0 Replies

Sanjeev Agrwal

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 04:28 am
If the sound of ice cream trucks is worthy of a ban, then we should add lawn mowers, motorcycles, and "performance" exhaust systems for cars to the list.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ban on Ice Cream Trucks
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:33:12