Very Smart Idiot

mark noble

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:57 pm
The answer to your question is simple when you consider the processes involved.
Your brain processes and stores information, much like a hard-drive, as it fills it condenses (defrags) less essential items (unused or rarely used (desktop icons)). It is, nevertheless restricted as to the quantity it can digest. You can't upgrade your brain's hard-drive, so unless you are prepared to "Throw some of the toys out of the toybox", you will always have difficulty with other than what your brain is, by common programming, used to dealing with.
It's like teaching a salmon algebra.
Have a brilliant day guys.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:15 pm
@mark noble,
You can build new pathways though. The brain is an extraordinarily plastic and adaptable organ.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
While reviewing the thread, reacting to my own post - I think I should have taken college physics at a city college, which is where I took trig and had no trouble. I might have caught on instead of being overwhelmed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
That's interesting. My ex, the playwright, etc., passed his science requirement that way too, but back in high school (the carmelites, as it happened). He knew a fair amount of the history of science when I met him, but I had to clear him up on how to do percentages.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:31 pm
@Roberta,
I seem to remember hearing that men's brains were better re spatial stuff (no data from me, if there is any). On the other hand, now that I am clearer on much re spatial understanding, after comfort with it with my endeavors probably triggered by my interest in design, I know plenty of men that I-know-more-than on it. (Here's the map, honey..)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@sozobe,
Agreeing on that with Sozobe.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:56 pm
The point is that a science that relies entirely on statistics cannot be a true science as it fails to find cause and effect. Statistics only shows correlation i.e. it points the way just like a guide. It need neurology to find the spots in the brain and how thinking is processed and how abstraction of data is processed by the brain cells not where it is processed as that is the level of knowledge right now. Only then then intelligence be truely explained.
0 Replies

Homomorph

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
This issue has always bothered me, that is the idea that we can quantify the internal with the external, or processes with vague prescriptions. I take the assumption that our minds are indeed bio computers. But, it doesn't necessarily mean to me that I can process information at the speed or level of complexity that a non biological computer can, at least in the way we consider it to be complex. The problem arises from the emotional and social complications resulting from an intricately woven and complex understanding of the world. If things get too complicated, even simple tasks or conversation can be drudgery. I think the entire idea of attaining status through intellectual achievement is a hindrance to most of us, since it negates the mental purities that are necessary in order to understand the world quintessentially. They will remain unattainable unless we neglect the importance of relating to each other, which can very well lead to insanity. In some ways, the more you get the more you lose.

It's another award that gives others motivation to attain the same or better, which in the long run is great, but it does make life temporarily difficult. Sorry for rambling, but that's my take...
talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:56 pm
@Homomorph,
I read an article that the brain is really a neural network and process a few trillion bits of information faster than any man-made computer. It is this network that processes logic and alertness simultaneously. It is for this reason scientists in universities are trying to fashion a neural network. It is a 3D network thus optimizes thinking in ways 2D networks made by man can't really compete.

All those high achievers of IQ tests have one good bit of news. They are great recruits for the French armyand could get to see Paris free.
Homomorph

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:34 pm
@talk72000,
I read a similar article, and it was very fascinating. There was a universe episode about nanobots scanning our neurons, and mapping them into a digital reality. Interesting, but definitely on the creepier side of things. They said by 2030 or thereabouts it would cost around $1 to obtain a processor a fast as the human brain.
talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:28 pm
@Homomorph,
I am skeptical of all future predictions. A family flying car was predicted. There is no flying car around. For one thing if the car falls from fifty feet to the ground everyone is toast.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:16 am
@Roberta,
The ability to understand subject matter doesn't necessarily translate equally for all in all areas. Think of this is a multi-sided but not symmetrical shape. The 'flat spot' on this shape for you happens to be math. Some of us 'smarties' have flat-spots in other areas. The fact that you have this non-affinity is by no means a reflection of your IQ.

Call this math area your non-comfort zone. It's not that you aren't capable, you just didn't learn to excel. Then, due to the discomfort ('cause you excelled in other areas), you avoided it. And like any other brain activity when not exercised, those 'math muscles' atrophied.

If you were highly motivated or rewarded enough and taught math in a way you liked, you could learn math; however, it might not possibly be the advanced calculus or some of the extremely esoteric areas. With the right training, you could go pretty far, but you would have to unlearn the anxiety you associate with math.

Know-it-all academics call some folks with a math deficit as having math-anxiety. Back when we were kids, society often imposed a pre-conditioning on young ladies as they went from grammar to junior high and the on to high school. I noticed while growing up that girls would be socially conditioned away from excelling at math. Somehow math wasn't 'pink and cuddly' enough

Math teachers were in on this conspiracy and would focus their energy on the boys and would consciously or unconsciously discourage the girls. This translated to very few girls in the early-'70s going into engineering and the some of the sciences. During the mid-70s the trend faded a bit but the damage was already done.

Women and Advanced Math
Mavericks who ignored the conditioning did extraordinarily well, encouraged by role models such as Madam Curie, and computer pioneers like Ada Lovelace (considered the world's first programmer), whom they named the Ada programming language after.

The famous math whiz and computer expert Grace Hopper received graduate degree in 1930 and was the first programmer for the Mark I Calculator, known as the "Mother of COBOL". In her role as Rear Admiral with the Navy in WW II, she was quite instrumental in early years of computer industry. In her later years she was a senior consultant to the computer industry and at Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) until she was 85 .

Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:25 am
@sozobe,
Very true about growing of new pathways. Medical research done with stroke victims shows how well the human being can create new functioning pathways.

Also I see Phoenix's earlier note explains well about comfort zones and learning. Spatial relations is an area men seems to excel in versus women. Of course, as some men have an avoidance for asking for a set of directions, though somehow this isn't related to spatial relations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
@Ragman,
The nuns at my girls' high school refused to send one girl's transcripts because she wanted to study engineering (that was '59). So, rags, I know what of you speak. On the other hand, I had another class friend who was tops in math and did get her transcript sent; guess she never mentioned engineering. (I think she went to Cal Berkeley, but maybe not the first year, as the nuns also didn't send transcripts to the UC system that year, or so I heard. 'Communists', ya know.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:29 am
@ossobuco,
Addendum - I went to a UC school myself the second year, so I know by 1960 they were sending transcripts. I'm guessing some family mentioned the word lawsuit back in '59.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:04 am
@Ragman,
Ragman, Thanks for your cogent and thorough response. You really addressed all the areas that concerned me. And everything makes perfect sense. Yes, a combination of natural ability and emotion. Throw in living up to (or down to) what became my own expectations.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and reflecting on the past. In my case, I think that my personal likes and dislikes play a strong role in how good I am at something. I remember a college semester in which my personal preferences were reflected perfectly in my final grades--two A's, a B, and two D's. A in Philosophy and Art History. B in I don't remember what. D in statistics (I was glad I passed). And a D in English. Yes, English. I was an English major. I loved literature. I was very verbal. How did I end up with a D? I hated the professor. HATED that woman. In looking back on the situation, I think I just completely shut down because of that feeling. And I was unable to master my emotions to do what I was capable of.

I realize that, yes, there are natural abilities at play. I also realize that it's not possible to separate feelings from intelligence. Eveything going on inside our heads is connected. And, yes, as you suggested, there are outside forces to deal with as well. Societal expectations. Family expectations and pressures. Smarts ain't the only thing going on here.

BTW, I have no problem with spatial relationships. And I have a very strong mechanical bent. Love putting things together and taking things apart to see how they work. Not always possible to put things back together again. When I was a child, I did a lot of taking apart. I had to promise my parents that I would never touch the television anywhere other than the knobs.

talk72000

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:31 pm
The point is to look at the brain as organic wires that during the teenage phase are generic connections. Our interest causes the brain cells to become hard-wired to our likes or interests. It is during this phase that our abilities are formed.
One must also look at the brain as a wiring diagram. The logic in a wiring diagram fails when the environment is harsh such as the voltage being too high or too low. Then if the temperature is too high or too low the wiring logic also fails. Emotions such as anger, comfort, fear interfere with the logic system in the human brain. If you have not developed math skills in your teen years it is harder to handle math in the adult stage. Avoidance of activities makes it even less likely that the network forming so crucial to skill building will occur so it is a vicious cycle.
The brain does form pathways but not that well in the adult stage. Imagine the brain to be a storage room. All the childhood memories are at the bottom. As one grows older data are piled above them. By the adult stage it is brimming with memories. So during old age recent memory is discarded while childhood memories still linger. During adulthood there is less room to move things around and no new networks (brain cells) are available to form new skills or it is very difficult to form as circuitious routes are required. e.g. try connecting a computer network in a room filled with furniture. This will give you a graphic view of what obstacles the brain faces.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:21 am
@Roberta,
You're very welcome. Nice thread, BTW.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@talk72000,
While I tend to agree with this analogy, I find it highly speculative and theoretical. Not intending this a challenge as much as I am asking for some research sources to back it up. I'd like to think it is true as it makes sense.
talk72000

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@Ragman,
I actually have a booklet on the brain. However, the part about the memory is my invention as I took microcomputer system course. The similarity of computer and the brain is also used by scientists if you follow the website: www.gizmag.com (an Australian website) where all gizmos and research are presented on their website similar to Popular Science and Popular Mechanics.

www.gizmag.com
0 Replies