The Fables of the Bible

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 01:17 pm
The deserts of the Sinai could never have supported nearly a million Israelite fleeing Egypt for x amount of years. No archaeological record of a mass exodus has been found in the desert sites mentioned in the bible.

A world wide global flood never happened for forty days and nights 6 thousand years ago. The biblical patriarchs are surrounded by fables that never occurred. Thus scholars fall back on the idea, well, they were not meant to be factual but simply to relay moral proponents.

We have Elijah proving the validity of the biblical God to the lowly pagans by having God burn a haystack soaked in water as fire comes from the heavens. Well this could be a lightning bolt or something. And Moses says the finger of God wrote the ten commandments and that he saw the face of God.

Well maybe while Moses was taking to God he might have asked this singular God of the accuracy of the words that would one day be attributed to him...

It is also know by archaeologists that the Hebrews were pagans much later in the narrative than the bible suggests with a mother goddess also. Jericho was not destroyed when the bible says it was. The list of fables is extensive.

The other scholars say that the words of the bible were made non factual on purpose so they would not be radicalized. In other words God made them purely ambiguous on purpose to restrict them from becoming a superlative.

Half truths, what kind of "God" is this that doesn't even know the actual course of events in history? Yet we have the three major religions of the world resting on this sandy foundation of outright fabrications woven in with strict moral imperatives and "laws" imposed by a jealous and vengeful God...

Can we even trust the story of Sodom and Gomorrah too? Was the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to demonstrate that homophobes existed in olden times too? Why put the effort to look for ruined cities that originate from a book of so many apparent fabrications? If so many numerous passage of the book can be found errant what authenticity sets the writings apart from any other non holy book? What authority does the book have after being found untruthful in so many instances? What historical precedence does the Bible set? If one is continuously lied to how long should one resist before trust is eroded?

Please add to the list of known biblical fables, maybe we might find out why the God of the bible feels it necessary to LIE about past events.

Thou shalt not bear false witness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,483 • Replies: 35

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 01:39 pm
Correction:

I may have confused Elisha with Elijah. Sorry
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
A world wide global flood never happened for forty days and nights 6 thousand years ago. The biblical patriarchs are surrounded by fables that never occurred. Thus scholars fall back on the idea, well, they were not meant to be factual but simply to relay moral proponents.

i like Avant-Garde Musician Laurie Anderson's take on the flood

A certain American religious sect has been looking at conditions of the world during the Flood. According to their calculations, during the Flood the winds, tides and currents were in an overall southeasterly direction. This would mean that in order for Noah's Ark to have ended up on Mount Ararat, it would have to have started out several thousand miles to the west. This would then locate pre-Flood civilization somewhere in the area of Upstate New York, and the Garden of Eden roughly in New York City.

Now, in order to get from one place to another, something must move. No one in New York remembers moving, and there are no traces of Biblical history in the Upstate New York area. So we are led to the only available conclusion in this time warp, and that is that the Ark has simply not left yet.

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@RexRed,
Um, since when did you consider the Bible fables, Rex?
ABYA

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@RexRed,
Hi Rex
The problem is that we don't know how to read the Bible.
The Bible is about the kingdom of God, not the Kingdom of man. There is nothing in the old testament about our world, it's all about Gods kingdom,Spirituality, A desire to give, God and a desire to receive, man.
You mention Sodom in your post, heres how we should read that story.
Sodom was a better place than the world we live in today, The laws in Sodom were, don't be good to others but don't cause them harm either. They were even forbidden to wish others harm in thier thoughts. There was no mixing in Sodom, everyone kept themselves to themselves and this was the problem.
Sodom is an aspect of the desire to receive pleasure that keeps its self to its self and won't mix with other desires, correction of the souls equals the mixing of the lower desires to receive pleasure with the higher desires to give pleasure, as Sodom will not mix, it cannot be corrected and needs to be destroyed.
You can think of Sodom as a desire within someone today that has the attitude to the rest of Humanity of, leave me alone, stay away from me, you do your thing and I will do mine. Such an attitude may not be doing anyone any harm but if we only realised the necessity for humanity to unite before we blow ourselves up we would understand that such an attitude needs to be eradicated.
RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
@ABYA,
This just shows the torturous mental calisthenics you have to jump through to make the stories of the bible fit with the history of the past. And God created eight thousands varieties of fruit flies and lentils in one hour (cynical).

Since the old testament shows a hatred for the major cities surrounding them on Rome, Greece, Egypt perhaps Sodom and Gomorrah were fabricated stories meant to show the distaste the OT and NT writers had for these cities indirectly?

These stories represent nothing whatsoever to do with god and everything to do with controlling the people with the fear of getting rocks hurled at you by a rabid mob of religious zealots. These old testament stories are still today justifying hate and murder to feed a lust to power over others.
RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@Arella Mae,
1 Corinthians 14:32 KJV
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

Comment : What, the spirits [words] of the prophets are not subject to God but they are subjected to the mind of the prophets? Were they making stuff up?

So is the bible the word of God or the word of the prophets?
RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
After the Catholics in my state overturned the marriage equality law, I left ALL RELIGION for good. Never going back...

I am an agnostic now and if religion keeps showing its ugly face around here I will become an atheist to counter the preposterous assertions made by the religious.

No one is going to outline my own personal connection with "God" but me. Not Abraham, not Moses, nor the conservatives interpretation of who Jesus was, will affect my own personal belief in goodness, liberty and human love. I would suggest for the Christian God to take a wife or a husband and leave humans the same right...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
@djjd62,
That is cute.

I like it when people use sound philosophy to knock down sophistry. Smile

Thanks
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
Genesis 5:27 KJV
And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.

Comment:
Truth or fable?
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@RexRed,
I have one for ya Rex.

The tower of babel.

Did they mistake the collapse of the tower as being the work of god or was it just simply the result of physics? Think about it.

Let's just assume that there was no god involved in the story. How high could they have constructed the tower of babel? All the way to space? No. We know that even if they were using stones, that eventually due to tensile failure of stone from the weight pressing down onto the base stones there is a point where you could build no further without a collapse.

So was the collapse a result of stone failure which they interpreted to mean god was angry with their plans and that is why the tower fell?

This of course uses Occums razor to point out that simple natural laws of physics was mistaken for the wrath of god. You really don't need to analyze the story very much to realize that the hole thing is nothing more than a huge misunderstanding and flawed interpretation due to the lack of knowledge.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
@RexRed,
Um, you might want to keep reading Rex. You are totally taking that one statement out of context.:

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Paul is giving an admonition to this church because they were misusing the gift of tongues. He makes it very clear that you need witnesses, etc. So he is not saying what you think he is. There has to be two or three witnesses.

Rex, if I may ask, you don't have to answer if you would rather not, but you seem to have changed your beliefs quite a bit. May I ask why?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:17 pm
@RexRed,
Sorry Rex, I hadn't seen where you already explained your departure from.......religion as you called it. So because someone disagreed with you on the views of something you are throwing it out the window? I am not understanding this I guess.

God is not like us Rex. It's not the first time someone has made the mistake of thinking He is or should be.

I do hate to see you doing what amounts to mocking God (calling the bible fables). I never thought I'd see that from you.
djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I do hate to see you doing what amounts to mocking God (calling the bible fables). I never thought I'd see that from you.

i don't understand why people get upset if someone mocks god, surely god is a big boy and can handle things himself, if god is offended let him fight his own battles
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:51 pm
With god showing himself by setting fire to a sopping wet haystack, I can't help thinking about his recent total destruction-by-lightning of "Touchdown Jesus"
 http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/15/article-0-0A0C0671000005DC-915_306x372.jpg
 http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/15/article-0-0A0C0C20000005DC-271_306x372.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:53 pm
Here's all that's left, "Touchdown Jesus" becomes "RoboJesus"
  http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/15/article-0-0A0BFCC2000005DC-635_634x391.jpg
RexRed

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
How fitting that God would be offended by such an ugly piece of artwork.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:44 pm
@djjd62,
The problems is that people assume that the God of the bible is God... So if you mock the writing's of fable makers you are mocking God. Go figure...
ABYA

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:31 pm
@RexRed,

Quote:
This just shows the torturous mental calisthenics you have to jump through to make the stories of the bible fit with the history of the past.

Sorry Rex, in order to keep my post brief, perhaps I never stressed my point clear enough.
Far from making the Bible fit in with history, I was saying the O.T has nothing to say about world history, its not about this world. Egypt, Sodom and Gomorrah and all other places mentioned are Spititual states. The hate and the murder you mention are aimed at our egoism.
I wish you all the best and look forward to getting to know you better.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:53 pm
@djjd62,
If someone was mocking your mother, father, or child, you just going to sit there and say let him fight his own battles? It is not about whether God can fight his own battles or not. It's about respect.