phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

ogletree

Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:40 pm
problems and suggestions
I installed your mod and have some issues with it. For starters you don't rewrite the URL's for catagories they still load as index.php?c=3. It would be a good idea to install some code that detects the URL and 301 redirects the old ugly url's to the new ones. You should put some noindex, nofollow on some pages like search.php. Search.php has some bad url's for the subject line. I get links like. post-18.html&highlight=#18. Which by the way is exactly the same post as about16.html. This mod has some good ideas but leaves the site in just about as big of a mess as it tries to get the site out of.
0 Replies

phpnewb1

Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
Using Jet style
I am using the Jet Style and I just got to this line "<span><a>{L_VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOPIC}</a> :: <a>{L_VIEW_NEXT_TOPIC}</a>  </span> "

In Jet I have a similar line "<span><a>{L_VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOPIC}</a><br><a>{L_VIEW_NEXT_TOPIC}</a></span>"

What changes do I make to the mod code for this to work.
0 Replies

Nobby

Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:01 am
Hey Craven de Kere, thanks for writing this Mod, looks like its exactly what i am looking for.

I do have a slight problem though, when it comes to carrying out such mods, i am a beginner, within moments of begining, there were lines in your mod that didnt match up to my index.php file, i dont suppose you offer the pre modded files for DL do you? That way i can simply UL the new files and away i go! Failing that, is their a more automated method of install i can use?

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

tms

Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:01 pm
Installed in 3 sites,2 are working fine and 3rd NOT, HELP
Hello Craven de Kere,
Thanks for writing this mod. I love it, so far is working great for me. Just a one problem now. I have installed this mod in 3 of my sites and 2 of them are working the way it is supposed to be but the 3rd one isnt.

Problem: On the right side of the index page , the "date" supposed to be highlighted NOT the user "name" . But this is happening on my 3rd site. Once i go beyond the index page then it work, then dates gets highlighted.
I saw somewhere that i cant post a link so , dont know how can i redirect you to that site so that you can take a look.
PLEASE HELP
0 Replies

kevintmckay

Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:33 pm
If I use a google site map will that pose a problem since the site map is generated from the http access logs containing dynamic pages with special characters?
0 Replies

Boomn4x4

Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:43 am
Static URL's not working
I have a forum at Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

I made all the mods in the SEO 2.0 including the static URL's. The forum works fine for a logged in user, but guests now get "page cannot be displayed"

It appears that the rewrite is working, that static URL's do appear as a link.

My assumption is that there is something wrong with my .htaccess????

If I enter Edit [Moderator]: Link removed.htaccess I can view the file so I know its there. Here is a full text of the htaccess file

Code:RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]
0 Replies

jshpik1

Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:53 pm
@Boomn4x4

Put this on the line directly below RewriteEngine On

Code:
RewriteBase /

if you had read even the main post you would've realized that
0 Replies

darkhors3

Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:38 pm
It works... but crawlers don't use the html paths
Well, I did everything step by step and it seems to be working. As a guest, I get the static html pages and when logged in, I get the standard pages.

So... when I run a program like GSiteCrawler (or other sitemap programs) the system does not register the html pages but instead uses the standard pages.

Thoughts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:47 pm
That's a client-side app that requires IE. Sounds to me like it's using your cookies.
0 Replies

darkhors3

Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:26 am
I have read more posts than I can count and figure I just have to ask for some help here!

I have applied the mod and the static url mod to my site. My robots.txt looks like this:
Code:User-agent: *
Disallow: /forum/index.php?
Disallow: /forum/posting.php
Disallow: /forum/groupcp.php
Disallow: /forum/search.php
Disallow: /forum/login.php
Disallow: /forum/privmsg.php
Disallow: /forum/post
Disallow: /forum/member
Disallow: /forum/profile.php
Disallow: /forum/memberlist.php
Disallow: /forum/faq.php
Disallow: /forums/post-*.html$
Disallow: /forums/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /forums/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /forums/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: /forums/ntopic*.html$

and my .htacces looks like this
Code:RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^forum/forums.* /forum/index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) /forum/viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/post-([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*).html&view=newest /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/about([0-9]*).html /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/mark-forum([0-9]*).html* /forum/viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/updates-topic([0-9]*).html* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/forum-([0-9]*).html /forum/viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/forum-([0-9]*).* /forum/viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* /forum/viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/ptopic([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum/ntopic([0-9]*).* /forum/viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

the .htaccess and robots.txt sit in my root directory and my forum is in a sub directory (root/forum) which is why I added to the code above.

So: Everything works fine when browsing the forums as a guest and as a registered user. My sitemap files even output the static links for the forum.

My issue is that when google crawls my site, it gives me 100's of web crawl errors. Looking at the log, it is trying to crawl the correct static links for my forums (as it should) but it gives the "file not found 404 error"

If I enter the links, I get the site to pull up just fine. I assume I have something wrong with my robots.txt or my .htacces file.

Can someone point me in teh right direction here?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:17 am
Put the .htaccess file in the right place.
0 Replies

Nobby

Thu 30 Aug, 2007 05:02 am
Quote:

I do have a slight problem though, when it comes to carrying out such mods, i am a beginner, within moments of begining, there were lines in your mod that didnt match up to my index.php file, i dont suppose you offer the pre modded files for DL do you? That way i can simply UL the new files and away i go! Failing that, is their a more automated method of install i can use?

Can anyone assist here?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:25 pm
In those cases it's often spacing, tabbing or just some other minor differences. What I do is search for a smaller portion of the find code, make sure it is a unique portion (i.e. if you find several occurences you'll need to make sure you are modifying the correct line) and modify from there.

It's a little more difficult than blind find/replace but it's usually very easy to compare the lines you find from the smaller find string manually to make sure you are doing it right.

And if you are backing up your work just use some trial and error. It's a great way to learn.
0 Replies

Nobby

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:55 am
Thanks for the reply, im not sure thats going to be an option, i find looking through such code like reading Chinese, i just dont know what i am doing. Well i guess i will have to look at alternative solutions, its not that im am not willing to learn its just a good few levels too high for me to start with.
0 Replies

acleitao

Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:08 am
hi,

this mod works with phpBB 2.0.22 ?
0 Replies

Nobby

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:20 am
Craven de Kere

I deciced to try to tackle the mod anyway, actually, it was much easier than i thought most of it was just find and replace and you were right the few instances that were not were easy to find, just some spacing etc.

However

Having completed the mod, my forum will now not work, just get errors the whole time, i am 99.9% sure i got the mods correctly done, so im not sure what the issue is. I have restored the forum to the old files and moved the modded forum to a test domain.

I have put the forum on a subdomain here - testing.pg03.com - any chance you could take a look, or advise whats best to solve the issues.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:09 am
Nobby,

It looks like you made a mistake somewhere in the mod. One way to find out where you go wrong is to test after each change you make.
0 Replies

olson

Tue 11 Sep, 2007 04:54 am
phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0 is scrambled
Hi,
Thanks for the great Mod. I am half way thorugh.

In the latest download of the mod, the file:
phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0
is very scrambled. Do you have a clean copy?

Cheers
0 Replies

Nobby

Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:23 am
Hey Craven

Thanks for the advice, i took it and have got through the first half or so of the mod without any problems.

I am now at the point where i need to carry out the changes to templates/subSilver/viewtopic_body.tpl and similar files, am i to asume if i use a different template from subSilver i need to mod those file and not the ones in the SubSilver folder?

ie: templates/genBabyLone/viewtopic_body.tpl etc etc
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
Re: phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0 is scrambled
olson wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the great Mod. I am half way thorugh.

In the latest download of the mod, the file:
phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0
is very scrambled. Do you have a clean copy?

Cheers

Sounds like your text editor isn't displaying line breaks correctly, use one that does (a free one that works is Edit Pad Lite).

Nobby,

Yes, you should make the changes in the the template file you use, and the template file you use may differ slightly from subsilver so you'll need to get your hands dirty a wee bit.
0 Replies