phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

FoulFoot

Mon 9 Oct, 2006 12:58 am
You should be using 2.0.21. And yes, it works fine.
0 Replies

khuram

Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:19 pm
My Forum is not Changed as discussed
I have applied all changes as described in MOD. I have no knowledge of PHP, i simply downloaded and changed files as described.
But unfortunately, my site is not working as described.
SIDs are not removed. And i have no idea why.
PLease check my forum www.wisacc.com/forums
Also if you need files, i can send you that also to check.
0 Replies

Su27

Sun 15 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
code displayed in viewtopic
Could you please tell me why is there the code line
Code:$topic_author .= ( $searchset[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? '' : '';
displayed below my test post in my forum. I know this line is present in the search.php file but the content of the file looks ok to me. You can see this page [EDIT: MODERATOR: YOU CAN ASK FOR HELP BUT CANNOT POST YOUR LINKS HERE. THANK YOU]

Thank you.
0 Replies

HB

Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
I've applied a few of your changes to my forum by removing the site title and description, and hard coded it in the langauge/lang_eng/lang_main.php. The result of this has caused my viewforum and viewtopic titles to not read how I like them ex. mysite.com - topic,

My question is what changes would I need to make to allow my titles for these two pages to display like I want them?

I'm guessing for the viewtopic it would be the second line of this code, but I'm not 100% sure. Thank you in advanced. I also wanted to point out that I have CH Categories Hierarchy installed.

Code:$forum_name = $forum_topic_data['forum_name'];
$topic_title = $forum_topic_data['topic_title'];
$topic_id = intval($forum_topic_data['topic_id']);
$topic_time = $forum_topic_data['topic_time'];

currently for the viewforum it reads
Quote:
viewforum - offtopic.
I would like for it to read mysite.com - offtopic.

For the view topic it reads only the topic. I would like it to read mysite.com then the topic.
0 Replies

itsonlybarney

Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:46 pm
I just installed this modification, and it appears to work perfectly. But at the top of everypage it displays the error:
Code:Warning: preg_replace(): Unknown modifier ' ' in /home/itsonlyb/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 113

I searched the forums for a solution and haven't found one. Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
0 Replies

cajuns

Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:31 am
First of all, let me say thank you for all the work, and the help you have provided. Great job!

I did the mod, but have gotten to the static URLs mod_rewrite yet. I never did a mod before, and was scared spitless, but, I actually did it, and it worked! Laughing The rewrite I am a little worried about doing!

I hope I am posting this in the right place, but if I am not, it is not intentional.

Please keep in mind that this was indexed before doing your mod, and I am asking because I was wondering if the mod would help take care of this problem? I am still in the doghouse with google, and this is what they have cached on most of the view topic pages, not quite all of them. Some show the actual posts:

"FAQ FAQ Search Search Memberlist Memberlist Usergroups Usergroups Register Register. Profile Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in ..."

So I am assuming that is why I am still in the doghouse, Laughing

Will this mod help that, or is it something completely different?

Thanks
0 Replies

sssphpbb

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 01:27 pm
Do you know if this MOD will be compatible with phpBB3?

Or if some of the features will be incorporated into that?

I'm cautious about applying your MOD shortly before phpBB undergoes a major code upgrade.
0 Replies

sssphpbb

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:42 am
I went ahead and tried this on a test forum and got the following result:

SID's removed okay, but I'm getting blank pages (not 404's, just a blank white page) on all forum links. The links seem to be correct, but nothing shows on the page.

Any ideas?
0 Replies

sssphpbb

Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:33 am
I got it -- needed to slightly edit the file paths in .htaccess. Guess my server routes them differently.
0 Replies

h2d2

Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
I am using your mod on my forum and it's working just fine. One issue that I see is that the pagination links i.e Page 1 2 3 4 differ between the forum listing page and the viewtopic page. The viewtopic page ads the word "asc" to the url and I think this inconsistency between the urls will throw off bots because they will be indexing the same exact page at two seperate URLs. Can you fix this?
0 Replies

mykkal

Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
Meta descriptions
Has anyeone though of a way to get the meta descirptions to update? Right now becuase of the description put in through the control panel they are all the same.

This is a definate "no no" in the search engine world. It would be nice if the mod could somehow take the first 250 characters of text in the body of the post and make it the description. Wouldn't that make this much more searchable?

If this exist in in form please let me know. I'd like all of my descriptions for each page to generate on the fly for higher search engine placement and better searching of my content.
0 Replies

palehorse777

Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:33 pm
Hello,

I have used this on two different phpbb forums I have and I have confirmed that they work.

It's been 3 months now and the forums are still PR0

The sites themselves have nice PR, in fact the first one was one yybbs and the forum was PR5, I converted to phpbb because it was more modifiable and secure. I changed forums before and only momentarily lost PR. However, not only this site, but my other one I converted to phpbb has yet to get any PR...

The first one:
http://www.sleeps.com/phpbb/index.php

Is on a very old well established site. The old forum STILL holds a PR5
http://www.sleeps.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Even though it's discontinued and there just for archive reasons.

The second site is:
http://www.outdoorplaces.com/forums/

The old forum is offline but it had a nice PR too

Why is it, even with this fix and several months have passed, is it STILL PR0?

The fix here works fine from a technical standpoint...

Can't figure it out...

edit: thought I might add that the core sites get good PR and are established in google.
0 Replies

EditFast

Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:11 am
optimization for all languages
I have a translators forum and I have installed all language packs available but I am wondering how this will affect the optimization mod or if I need to do something special to optimize for each language. Your advice/help/comments are appreciated.
0 Replies

curtm

Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:21 pm
Why does this work?
I've implemented most of the changes suggested in the mod, and it works great. One thing I don't understand though, is how this works...

Code:<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

To me, it looks like a simple html comment. Can someone tell me how this works?
0 Replies

vfunk

Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
Why when i log in do i see different url extensions
When im logged out of my forum i get urls for threads reading

/forums/forum-37.html

when i log in I get

/forums/viewforum.php?f=37

why is this happerning and how can i change this so there the same

Please help!
0 Replies

montanadaver

Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:26 pm
vfunk:

This is the way the hack was intended to work. When you aren't logged in, you see 'spider friendly' urls. When logged in you see the actual php script and its args. The intent is not to cloak but to serve up urls that the spiders like better. When you see urls like 'xxx.php?f=37&blah&blah' they are not considered good spider food. Spiders visit without logging in and will see the same urls you see when not logged in. Nice plain 'xxx.html' urls are much preferred by the spiders over urls with args attached.
0 Replies

vsergione

Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
bug discovered + bug fix
Hello

I've discovered a bug produced by this mod.

The bug is visible it seems only on W32 platforms. I encountered it on a PC running Win XP SP2, and happened both in Firefox and IE6. The bug consists in the session not being persistent, meaning that on each access of a forum page a new SID is generated, but only when the visitor isn't authenticated, otherwise everything goes OK. The first problem that this bug generates is that it isn't possible to register new users because the captcha image confirmation method relies on SIDs. As a first consequence is that the captcha image doens't appear in the registration form.

After waisting around 3 hours, I've cammed to a workaround to this issue.

First, the problem is in file includes/sessions.php, and it appears after the following modifications specified in the install instructions of this mod.

The mod install instructions says this
Quote:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

includes/sessions.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

$SID = 'sid=' . $session_id;

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#

if ( $userdata['session_user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ){
} else {
$SID = '';
}

To fix this bug my solution is this:
Quote:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

includes/sessions.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
$tmp = explode("/",$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);

if ( $userdata['session_user_id'] != ANONYMOUS || $tmp[count($tmp)-1]=="profile.php" ){
} else {
$SID = '';
}

Hope this is useful.

Leave long and prosper
S.V.
0 Replies

cajuns

Fri 1 Dec, 2006 05:10 pm
Hi

I did the mod, but, I think something is still wrong somewhere!

Google is still mainly picking up the title of the page, the index, instead of the title of the posts. I am also still getting sids. For example, (I won't name the name of the forum) Let's say the name of the forum is ABC, well, on the topic pages, it is picking up, ABC instead of the actual name of the post. If I log out, and then log in as a guest, the title of the page shows the actual name, and not the forum name, but google is not picking it up that way.

Can someone please look at my forum and tell me if I did something wrong somewhere? I checked an re-checked, but still can't find what I did wrong.

Thank you
0 Replies

tracy457

Sat 2 Dec, 2006 01:46 am
Re: Why does this work?
curtm wrote:
I've implemented most of the changes suggested in the mod, and it works great. One thing I don't understand though, is how this works...

Code:<BEGIN>
<END>

To me, it looks like a simple html comment. Can someone tell me how this works?

In PHPBB they are used as switches in the templates. Anything that goes in between them is only executed if the condition applies. In this case it means that only when the user has logged in will they see what is inbetween the comments (switches.)

There is more info here at PHPBB home site

Code:http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=200
0 Replies

jaiak

Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:17 pm
Hello

I'm spanish user. This mod don't update since 2004, I have a phpBB 2.0.21

This mod work correctly?

Regards from spain!
0 Replies