phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

tazmanz

Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
what about
If im done all of this mod are i must make this who i find
First
Quote:

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
includes/sessions.php

#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
global $SID;

if ( !empty($SID) && !preg_match('#sid=#', $url) )

#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
global $SID, $HTTP_SERVER_VARS;

if ( !empty($SID) && !preg_match('sid=', $url) && !strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'Googlebot') && !strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'[email protected]'))

#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#
# EoM

And 2
Quote:

Its about make pages Short url

And 3
Quote:

Make the page and .html not .php

What you think about this
0 Replies

turna

Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
turna wrote:
hello

i did not do any changes related with template files (viewtopic_body.tpl-overall_header.tpl-index_body.tpl) because i dont use subsilver template and my current template files does not have same codes you mention to change in SEO 2.0

is this really problem? if it is what can be the solution?

can anyone please answer this question since i cant find any related help/topic with this situation.
0 Replies

EugeneD

Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:42 pm
Static URLs Page Not Found
Hi every one,

In order to allow guests to access The Forum I had to change the initial lines of .htaccess from

<Limit GET POST PUT>
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Limit>

To

<Limit GET POST PUT>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from All
</Limit>

Is this the standard way to do it, or not, if not what is the other way to enable html-access, is what I have done a great security risk for the site if it is not a standard procedure

Best Regards,
Eugene.
0 Replies

ThisUsernameNotTaken

Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:27 am
i now allow from all to get mod_rewrite to work....
EugeneD and i stumbled upon the same solution and have the same doubts about security. he is the early bird. hahaha

this seems to be the only way for it to work for me. i'm on virtual hosting so i don't have access to httdp.conf, and i tried all of the other .htaccess rules to no avail.

craven, thanks for the smashing info.
0 Replies

mikeinjersey

Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:26 am
i have a question on the mod rewrite part..it says :

Quote:

.htaccess

#
#-----[ ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

robots.txt

Disallow: forums/post-*.html$
Disallow: forums/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: forums/ntopic*.html$

Are we suppose to create these 2 files since they arent there already? (the robots.txt and .htaccess file)

And where it says :

Quote:

Disallow: forums/post-*.html$
Disallow: forums/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: forums/ntopic*.html$

are we suppose to replace "forums" with whatever our extension is ? (example /phpBB2/ )

and how about here too :
Quote:

RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]

should ^forums be replaced with /phpBB2/ or whatever we have?

thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:08 am
turna wrote:
turna wrote:
hello

i did not do any changes related with template files (viewtopic_body.tpl-overall_header.tpl-index_body.tpl) because i dont use subsilver template and my current template files does not have same codes you mention to change in SEO 2.0

is this really problem? if it is what can be the solution?

can anyone please answer this question since i cant find any related help/topic with this situation.

The title change in the template is important, but this should be easy to find in any template.

Most of other changes are more important for sites that need to focus context (i.e. sites using contextual advertising) than plain SEO, and skipping them is not a huge problem.

Just try your best and see how it goes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:11 am
Re: Static URLs Page Not Found
EugeneD wrote:
Hi every one,

In order to allow guests to access The Forum I had to change the initial lines of .htaccess from

EugeneD,

"Guest Access" in the context of this mod referrs to phpbb security limitations, not your Apache security.

Why you are needing to modify your Apache security is something you'll have to explain.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:13 am
mikeinjersey,

All your questions = yes

Except the last question:

Ignore that line, it's not ever used except for my testing of my clients' installations.
0 Replies

nizouille

Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:40 am
forum already rewrited
Hello,

How can I do if my forum is already rewrited ?
Please, can you help me ?

Nizouille
0 Replies

SwordfishCentral

Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:02 am
Excellent mod!!!

Question - My forums are at www.mysite.com/forums/

I would like the url's to rewrite to the root directory.. Can I do this through htaccess?

I'd rather make it easier on the SE's.

Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
It really won't make a difference for search engines. You can do that, but it would be a lot easier just to install in the root directory.
0 Replies

Gookie

Sun 17 Jul, 2005 06:26 am
Search Spider Simulator Problem
Hi Craven! First off, THANKS alot for this awesome mod! I have a question though.

My problem is when I use Search Spider Simulators to test my site, the static .html's are not generated correctly, they lack the domain and subdirectory (/forum/).

They look like these:

http://forum-1.html/
http://post-66.html/
http://forum-2.html/

But when I navigate my site as a guest, the links all work fine, they are all generated correctly.

Google has indexed my site the day after i have installed your great mod. But it wouldnt go deeper, probably because of the this problem.
Again, when i navigate to my site as a user, everything is working fine, links all being followed.

Before all that, I had created a test forum and installed your mod on it. I then tested this test forum on several Search Spider Simulator, and all the links are showing up all fine and being generated correctly. They contain my domain and subdirectory.
ex: http://www.mydomain.com/testforum/forum-1.html

I've checked the mod on the main forum several times and I couldnt see where the problem is. Could it be with the mod_rewrite? Probably no, because on my test forum, it's all working fine. Could it be another mod interfering with this mod? I'm running hyper cells mod, topic description mod and my forum is bridged with coppermine gallery.

Hope you can help me.

Again, Thanks alot!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:22 am
What spider simulator are you using?
0 Replies

SFC

Tue 19 Jul, 2005 02:06 pm
Craven - Can you peak at my site Edit (Moderator): URL removed It looks like the engines are not indexing the .fishing links.. We had it working before.

Did I miss something in the mod?

Thanks for your time.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
I sent you an email.
0 Replies

iphorum

Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:37 am
Working for 2.0.15?
Does it also work for 2.0.15 and higher?
0 Replies

SwordfishCentral

Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:02 pm
I have an issue. WHen I look at the source code of each forum page.. before the title tag is showing the following:

<link rel="top" href="./index.php" title="Sport Fishing Forums Forum Index" />
<link rel="search" href="./search.php" title="Search" />
<link rel="help" href="./faq.php" title="FAQ" />
<link rel="author" href="./memberlist.php" title="Memberlist" />
<link rel="prev" href="ptopic1473.html" title="View previous topic" />
<link rel="next" href="ntopic1473.html" title="View next topic" />
<link rel="up" href="forum-1.html" title="Swordfishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-1.html" title="Swordfishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-35.html" title="Deep Dropping Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-30.html" title="Marlin and Tuna Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-31.html" title="Wahoo Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-29.html" title="Shark Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-43.html" title="Bimini Bahamas Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-42.html" title="Fly Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-20.html" title="General Saltwater Fishing Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-8.html" title="Find A Mate & Fishing Partner" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-10.html" title="Prepping and Cleaning Your Catch" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-3.html" title="SwordFish Recipes, Grilled Fish, Baked Fish Recipe" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-7.html" title="Fishing Tournaments Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-33.html" title="Marine Photography Forums" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-4.html" title="Boat Classifieds - Buy & Sell Fishing Gear" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-41.html" title="Sport Fishing Tackle & Boating Gear Reviews" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-44.html" title="Fishing Boat Reviews" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-58.html" title="Florida Keys Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-59.html" title="Southeast Florida Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-60.html" title="Southwest Florida Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-63.html" title="Ten Thousand Islands Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-62.html" title="West Central Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-61.html" title="East Central Florida Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-64.html" title="Northeast Florida Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-65.html" title="Big Bend & Panhandle Florida Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-66.html" title="New York Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-67.html" title="New Jersey Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-68.html" title="Massachusetts Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-69.html" title="North Atlantic Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-17.html" title="California Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-28.html" title="New Zealand Sport Fishing Reports" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-21.html" title="Off Topic" />
<link rel="chapter forum" href="forum-22.html" title="Swordfishing Central News" />

I recently installed "Super Quick Reply" mod, not sure if this messed with anything..

Thanks,
Mike
0 Replies

Maqs

Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:12 am
Hi, i installed SEO 2.0.0 and static URLs mod_rewrite and eveything seems to be working fine.

But i do have 2 questions.

1. What shall i do with meta description and keywords in overall_header? For now i kept them. But when i view source on this site on index.php i see description and keywords, but when i view source on this site in a thread/post there is no description or keywords. On my site i see them when viewing source whereever i am (even in threades/posts etc.).

2. Im a little bit unsure if my robots.txt is correct. My forum is not in a subdir (it´s in root) and my robots.txt now looks like this, is that correct?
Code:User-agent: *
Disallow: /admin/
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /includes/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /templates/
Disallow: /common.php
Disallow: /groupcp.php
Disallow: /memberlist.php
Disallow: /modcp.php
Disallow: /posting.php
Disallow: /profile.php
Disallow: /privmsg.php
Disallow: /viewonline.php
Disallow: /faq.php
Disallow: /updates-topic
Disallow: /stop-updates-topic
Disallow: /ptopic
Disallow: /ntopic
Disallow: /post-

I espaccily wonder about the last line: "Disallow: /post-". Should it be a "/" before "post"??

Thanks for a great mod! Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
Re: Working for 2.0.15?
iphorum wrote:
Does it also work for 2.0.15 and higher?

Yes

SwordfishCentral wrote:
I have an issue. WHen I look at the source code of each forum page.. before the title tag is showing the following:

I think your "issue" is normal phpbb behavior. They used to do something like that for some browsers.

Maqs wrote:

1. What shall i do with meta description and keywords in overall_header? For now i kept them. But when i view source on this site on index.php i see description and keywords, but when i view source on this site in a thread/post there is no description or keywords. On my site i see them when viewing source whereever i am (even in threades/posts etc.).

I don't use them here. I may eventually write code for custom meta tags per thread/forum but have not yet been compelled to do so because they are of limited value and this site's not my SEO battleground.

Quote:
2. Im a little bit unsure if my robots.txt is correct. My forum is not in a subdir (it´s in root) and my robots.txt now looks like this, is that correct?

Looks fine.
0 Replies

Maqs

Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:16 am
Hi, and thanks for your reply Craven de Kere. I don´t doubt that you know this, but i´m curious, in robots.txt it says disallow posting, profile and so on, that i do understand the reason for. But disallow post-? I mean, shouldent it be allow, since we want robots to look trough the posts.html? And about "/" before "post-", it´s the same as i had my forum in a subdir...? It confuses me a bit... Confused
EDIT--> Got it about why post- should be disallowed (it´s just one post, its about we want it to index, i think anyway). But / still confuses me a bit.

About metatags and keywords, what do you think is best, keep them or remove them. Are they doing any "harm" to robots that indexes my site or something? Words and frases posted in my forum will be found by google anyway?

Thanks!
0 Replies