phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:59 pm
persianmind wrote:

excuse me craven
im not aware of law
please help me
i asked 2 question

first question about robots.txt
but second question about topics anywhere

you can only answer first question
thanks

1) I do not use or support mambo software. And this thread is not about robots.txt files, it is about code I provide and support within limits.

2) "topics anywhere" is not my code, it is code you got from someone else. This thread is for support for my code.

You should ask both your questions elsewhere (i.e. new thread, or to the authors of the software you are asking about) and be as specific as possible.

You might want to study up a bit before asking. The robots.txt protocol is simple enough that I think it would be easier for you to learn yourself than to explain your robots.txt file to others.
0 Replies

Zend

Sun 16 Jan, 2005 05:42 pm
OK, i know a little about mysql and php, what im curious is is there a list of items that i need to change in
Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0.txt
Also i have a custom theme, do i simply change the path from subsilver to my theme?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 16 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
Zend wrote:
OK, i know a little about mysql and php, what im curious is is there a list of items that i need to change in
Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0.txt

Mods are , themselves, "list[s] of items that [you] need to change".

Quote:

Also i have a custom theme, do i simply change the path from subsilver to my theme?

Yes
0 Replies

Zend

Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:32 am
Ok, i have applied the mod, however i still dont have static pages, which im guessing the mod doesnt do, suggestions on how to make topics static?
0 Replies

MrGunn

Mon 17 Jan, 2005 07:30 am
Hi,

unfortunately the mod_rewrite details of the zip file don't show up corectly. Is there a place where I can see the code?

Thanks in advance...

Fabian
0 Replies

4techies

Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:08 pm
Thanks - All aspects of the mod work great!
I posted this note to thank Craven for going to all the trouble he has to post this mod and provide so much free support and also to confirm to everyone having problems that all aspects of his mod work perfectly if the changes are properly applied.

I have applied the mod many times to several versions of phpBB running under both Linux and Windows. The changes can be made in a few minutes. However, it is essential to be very careful. I have never had a modified system fail to work perfectly. However, computers are very unforgiving of program code mistakes. Apply the changes exactly as Craven has outlined and everything will work perfectly. Fail to copy a single semicolon or to fully delete or remark-out every character of code that is to be removed and you are sure to have trouble. Pay attention to every small detail and you won't have to spend time asking Carven what's wrong and he won't have to waste time telling you to do the job right.

-Bob
0 Replies

Zend

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:36 am
I have completed the modrewrite modification, but when i configure .htaccess options for ModRewrite on the forums are suddenly forbidden and there is no access to the site....i am running nothing on my site but phpbb, no pages or anything.
0 Replies

FSE

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:12 am
This code works great - but when my users view topics - the Moderators title no longer exists. Is there anyway to fix this?
0 Replies

megahyperion

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 04:32 am
You know what really sux?

I was getting nuthing but the 404 error and spent about 4 hrs trying to fix it.

I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to php, I have quite a few mods and even a portal and some other usefull things.

I have installed mods that said they take 1.5hrs in about 30 mins and this one says 5 mins HAH.

Well anyway heres the kicker, after reading a ton of posts on this forum and others I found my fix inadvertantly in someone elses post who also couldnt get it to work but it was because they had the wrong .htaccess file.
I took a snippet from their file and it works.

Here is what I needed to add to my .htaccess
RewriteBase /

although if you add it (you being anyone else with the 404 problem) you may need to add your forum directory.
i.e.
RewriteBase /forum

here is my .htaccess file now

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm portal.php index.php

the last line is for my portal to redirect.
0 Replies

Zend

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:52 pm
I only get a 403 error....... Confused any ideas why? I have the forums in the root of my site.

as soon as i uncomment the RewriteEngine On my whole site gest 403'd
0 Replies

rbaseball1234

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:46 pm
Looking for Static HTML Mod for my Phpbb, I think?
Hi,

Please don't delete my posting. I was told to come here. I've every where from phpbb.com to phpfreaks.com to now here. Please I am trying to find the right answers to my questions. Thanks

I have the phpbb 2.0.11 installed on my website. I've included the EasyCMS mod(for articles/blogs) and the links directory, where members can add their own url and description. I also have a sports blogs page
ending in .html/. I am trying to take those who post articles(using my phpbb) and post such articles on my regular blogs.html page. Same with the links. Why? so search engines pick up those pages.

I've tried and tried for weeks to find the Mod/hack or what not. I even posted on phpfreaks.com/. My AIM is bigcool23. If anyone could help, I'd be more then willing to post their URL on my about page. Thanks.

1. How do I change Edit (Moderator): URL removed

TO

Edit (Moderator): URL removed

2. How do I change the titles for each of my forums? Example: Baseball Cards Wanted list would say just that instead.

3. How do I change the name of my links directory? Right now it shows this: Edit (Moderator): URL removed .

I'd like to change that to this: Edit (Moderator): URL removed

4. Edit (Moderator): URL removed

How do I change each category's title? Example, the above link I'd like to have it read, "Baseball Directory." The URL would be: Edit (Moderator): URL removed

I am trying to change the titles, mega tags, get rid of the ID's and long URL's and change name of articles to sports blogs.

Basically, this all will help the rest of my site. My home page I am trying to
add the categories to the links and etc..........And would like for the search engines to pick them up. Thanks
0 Replies

rbaseball1234

Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:39 pm
don't tell me I am not going to get a response here, either? Heck the url examples were removed so nobody will understand my questions. This is great. Authors write some coding but fail to have the brain cells to explain their mod in simple terms to your non-programmers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:00 am
1) Read the first line in this thread. It's in plain simple terms, just like the ones you received upon registration that told you not to post your links.

2) Your request has nothing whatsoever to do with my mod and my code.

If you want help with your request you should start a thread and not post your links (everything you said could be explained without your links).

You might also try being less rude, I for one am not likely to help you after your "brain cells" remark about me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:01 am
4techies wrote:
I posted this note to thank Craven for going to all the trouble he has to post this mod and provide so much free support and also to confirm to everyone having problems that all aspects of his mod work perfectly if the changes are properly applied.

I have applied the mod many times to several versions of phpBB running under both Linux and Windows. The changes can be made in a few minutes. However, it is essential to be very careful. I have never had a modified system fail to work perfectly. However, computers are very unforgiving of program code mistakes. Apply the changes exactly as Craven has outlined and everything will work perfectly. Fail to copy a single semicolon or to fully delete or remark-out every character of code that is to be removed and you are sure to have trouble. Pay attention to every small detail and you won't have to spend time asking Carven what's wrong and he won't have to waste time telling you to do the job right.

-Bob

Thank you, a very large portion of this thread consists of problems that exist because people fail to read and follow the mod instructions carefully.

Zend wrote:
I only get a 403 error....... Confused any ideas why? I have the forums in the root of my site.

as soon as i uncomment the RewriteEngine On my whole site gest 403'd

This is common when the mod_rewrite module is not available to you.

FSE wrote:
This code works great - but when my users view topics - the Moderators title no longer exists. Is there anyway to fix this?

You need to be more specific.

MrGunn wrote:
Hi,

unfortunately the mod_rewrite details of the zip file don't show up corectly. Is there a place where I can see the code?

Thanks in advance...

Fabian

Yes, in the zip file. Try saving it before opening it. If this does not work for you and your computer continues to have issues with zip files you should seek help on the computer forum.
0 Replies

Hendy

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/dodger/public_html/forum/index.php on line 396

Edit (Moderator): Link removed

I need some help immediately! This is not good! I tried to add in this mod and it messed up the index.php page.

hendy.music_at_gmail.com
0 Replies

Ivan Minic

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
Hi there, I have a problem with .htaccess file.
After uploading it i constantly get forbbiden or internal server errors.
I searched forum before asking but since nothing was found i tried asking.

My .htaccess looks like this:
Code:RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

Tried some of the modifications posted here, got same result.

I checked apache setting and as you can see mod_rewrite is on
Code:Loaded Modules
mod_fastcgi, mod_jk, httpd_defines, httpdmon, mod_perl, mod_php4, mod_frontpage, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_unique_id, mod_usertrack, mod_headers, mod_expires, mod_digest, mod_auth_db, mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_proxy, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_referer, mod_log_agent, mod_log_config, mod_env, http_core

Please help Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
Re: Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING
Hendy wrote:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/dodger/public_html/forum/index.php on line 396

This just means you made a mistake, probably just a small error in syntax. Do it right and it will work.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:50 pm
Ivan Minic wrote:
Hi there, I have a problem with .htaccess file.
After uploading it i constantly get forbbiden or internal server errors.

This usually means you can't run mod_rewrite. You claim that it is available to you so put it to a simple test:

Upload an .htaccess file with just this in it:

If you get 403 errors then, then it clearly has nothing to do with the rewrite rules or this mod and you should ask your server administrator about it.

If you have no problems then try a simple rewrite:

With that, forums.html should display your index page.
0 Replies

rbaseball1234

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:51 pm
Craven de Kere.

First off, it was rude to ignore my questions and just delete my examples:
Second, is it not your mod? If yes, you need to explain things better in your files for those non-programmers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 19 Jan, 2005 05:00 pm
rbaseball1234 wrote:
Craven de Kere.

First off, it was rude to ignore my questions and just delete my examples:

I did not ignore your questions. As to posting your links you had ample warning that it was against the rules.

Quote:

Second, is it not your mod? If yes, you need to explain things better in your files for those non-programmers.

Yes this is my mod, and your questions are not about my mod.

You want to use similar techniques on different code.

And like I said, if you are asking for free help and free code you might want to avoid being rude to the people who you are soliciting from.

I explain my mod well, and at length, and you have no basis on which to gratuitously insult me just because I won't write more free code for you.
0 Replies