phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

BellyBelly

Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:29 am
Thank-you very much for that - I have repaired them once this weekend as the forums went down altogether, but seems there are still problems. I know our host had server problems just before it happened so I don't know where it's all come from - them or something which we've done.

Hmmmm repaired the forum database and got this error for the sessions file: belly_xmb1.phpbb_sessions
error : The handler for the table doesn't support repair

Any clues or do I need to look elsewhere for support on this one?
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:05 pm
Hi,

How can I have google ignore the session IDs or just take up 1. Currently, there are like 130 IPs in the who is online and most of them is for google bot. Its causing server load (according to my host and they are not allowing me/people to view topics. Sad

Please help.

thanks
0 Replies

Olney

Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:34 am
I'm using another script that uses mod rewrite also. You gave me code that let's me use both scripts.

I have a few quick questions.

Does the Static rewrite work only AFTER you do the search engine optimization? (I got the impression I could install only the static rewrite first)

Do I have to include the same code in my forum directory for the .htaccess? If so do I just put the rewrite rules that apply to the static rewrite?

Thanks in Advance
0 Replies

J R Miller

Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:42 pm
any new developments for this optimization mod?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:09 am
BellyBelly wrote:
Thank-you very much for that - I have repaired them once this weekend as the forums went down altogether, but seems there are still problems. I know our host had server problems just before it happened so I don't know where it's all come from - them or something which we've done.

Sorry for using imprecise wording.

Use the phpbb "resync" features in the admin panel (in forum management somewhere).

If you have more problems start a different thread (since it's unrelated to this mod).

Quote:
Hmmmm repaired the forum database and got this error for the sessions file: belly_xmb1.phpbb_sessions
error : The handler for the table doesn't support repair

Any clues or do I need to look elsewhere for support on this one?

This is normal, the sessions table is a HEAP table and is stored in RAM. It can't be repaired.

When there are problems with that table, it should simply be truncated.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:13 am
Defencetalk wrote:
Hi,

How can I have google ignore the session IDs or just take up 1. Currently, there are like 130 IPs in the who is online and most of them is for google bot. Its causing server load (according to my host and they are not allowing me/people to view topics. Sad

Please help.

thanks

It doesn't make much of a difference in server load, the heavy work will still be done. But if you want it, something like this should work:

IN includes/page_header.php

FIND

Code:if ( $row['session_ip'] != $prev_session_ip )

REPLACE WITH

Code: if ( ($row['session_ip'] != $prev_session_ip) && (!strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'Googlebot')) )

Note: I have not tested that snippet.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:15 am
Olney wrote:

I have a few quick questions.

Does the Static rewrite work only AFTER you do the search engine optimization? (I got the impression I could install only the static rewrite first)

They work (as in function) independent of each other. But they do not work (as in optimize well) independent of each other.

Quote:
Do I have to include the same code in my forum directory for the .htaccess? If so do I just put the rewrite rules that apply to the static rewrite?

Your question is unclear.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:15 am
J. R. Miller wrote:
any new developments for this optimization mod?

Yes, but I haven't had time to update the mod yet.
0 Replies

Olney

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:41 am
Thank You
Thank you for replying
I finally got it to work on an unmodded version of phpbb

Basically I was wondering if I can just use the static html mod
I'm trying to put it on phpBB Plus (I won't write the link)

I'm not sure if you are familiar with that board.
0 Replies

993ti

Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:45 pm
It will work on phpbb plus.
I've got it working on integramod.

It only affects the forum though.
0 Replies

erth

Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
Status / keywords in url
Any status on possible inclusion of this idea?

keywords in static urls

It would seem to be the crowning achievement of this already shining SEO mod.

There is a working beta mod on the phpBB development forums, but I don't want to post a link w/o permission.

It's topic # 219953 if that helps anyone Wink
0 Replies

ghetto puppet

Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:32 am
problems viewing profiles
hi!

I apologize if this has been posted, I could not find it.

It seems the mod works fine, except for when I try to click "profile" in the header. I don't know if it will allow me to view profiles of others, as this is but a test forum and has only one member, me.

i get this message:

Parse error: parse error in /nfsn/content/hatihati/htdocs/forum/profile.php on line 125

but I looked at line 125, and it's just:

Code:?>

I went over and can't find any steps I missed, but I'm pretty new so maybe i did, please help!
0 Replies

kingsley1

Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:14 am
hi there,

First can I just say thanks for all your hard work, much appreciated. Very Happy

The mod works just fine after installation bar one small problem .

Whenever try to log in or out 404 page is thrown up, if you continue on to the index page it has logged you in or out.

Don't know if anyone has any ideas, I've checked through the code alterations again(twice) and all are OK) Confused

Thanks

King
0 Replies

kingsley1

Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:05 am
Please ignore last message,

I was a pratt, and had one file missing Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Thanks again for all the work, really impressed

Kingsley
0 Replies

kb

Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:57 pm
I just installed music online mod and able2know mod isn't working with that page. It's still showing the id.
Can anyone help with that? I would like to see the .html instead of ID song. And also it would be great if the song tiltle become the title of each page as we view topic.
0 Replies

aalishan

Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:07 am
I am using this mod since long and its working great.

I have a small issue: I have portal mysite.com and now I want to have another copy of this site mynewsite.com. I want the indexpage1 to be displayed when user types mysite.com as address and indexpage2 if user types mynewsite.com .. I already have both sites pointing to index.php .

I need advice on the best possible solution without effecting my current search engine position
Please help
Thanks
0 Replies

Joe Belmaati

Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:25 am
Craven, I am playing arĂ³und with my htaccess file and I wanted to hear your opinion on the following: I want to get rid of people who steal content and try to rip email addresses. Here is some htaccess stuff that I would like to add without messing up my nice html urls

Code:<Files htaccess>
deny from all
</Files>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailSiphon [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailWolf [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^ExtractorPro [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Mozilla.*NEWT [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Crescent [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^CherryPicker [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^[Ww]eb[Bb]andit [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^WebEMailExtrac.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^NICErsPRO [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Teleport [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Zeus.*Webster [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft.URL [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Wget [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^LinkWalker [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^sitecheck.internetseer.com [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^ia_archiver [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^DIIbot [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^psbot [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailCollector
RewriteRule ^.* - [F]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://www.iaea.org$
RewriteRule !^http://[^/.]\.your-site.com.* - [F]

If I remove

Code:RewriteBase /

it works well. But will rewrite change the links for those user-agents without the rewritebase statement? (I removed the dot before htaccess - otherwise your board wouldn't let me post)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 1 Oct, 2004 03:05 am
Re: Status / keywords in url
I lost a post with some server issues, so here is a quick repost.

erth wrote:
Any status on possible inclusion of this idea?

keywords in static urls

It would seem to be the crowning achievement of this already shining SEO mod.

There is a working beta mod on the phpBB development forums, but I don't want to post a link w/o permission.

It's topic # 219953 if that helps anyone Wink

The existing solutions have some flaws. I really do want to incorporate this, but have been waiting to address this in the conversion to phpbb 2.2 because I suspect the link structures will change a bit.

I welcome suggestions and discussion on the technical aspects of that feature, and to throw out one example:

url character issues need to be addressed, and the easiest way to deal with duplicate titles is to also include the thread/post number and have mod_rewrite only work off the number.

A special separation of thread number and title would be needed, so that if the title had a number it would not break the rewrite.

Only alphanumeric characters from the titles should be used.

Those are the specs for a basic version of that feature. I do plan to work on it, but if others get to it first please just make sure to share.

ghetto puppet wrote:
hi!

I apologize if this has been posted, I could not find it.

It seems the mod works fine, except for when I try to click "profile" in the header. I don't know if it will allow me to view profiles of others, as this is but a test forum and has only one member, me.

i get this message:

Parse error: parse error in /nfsn/content/hatihati/htdocs/forum/profile.php on line 125

but I looked at line 125, and it's just:

Code:?>

I went over and can't find any steps I missed, but I'm pretty new so maybe i did, please help!

This mod doesn't cause that, but look to see if there is extra white space after the closing php tag.

kb wrote:
I just installed music online mod and able2know mod isn't working with that page. It's still showing the id.
Can anyone help with that? I would like to see the .html instead of ID song. And also it would be great if the song tiltle become the title of each page as we view topic.

This mod comes with rewrite rules for vanilla phpbb pages, and clearly can't forsee additional pages and provide rules for them.

At the moment, I can't write custom rules for other mods but perhaps others are willing to do so.

Joe Belmaati wrote:
But will rewrite change the links for those user-agents without the rewritebase statement?

Those rules come with conditions, and when used correctly should only perform said rewrites if they match said conditions.

The conditions mostly check for user-agents and a particular bot from China that likes to use the iaea referrer.

rewrite rules are processed in sequential order, so I'd put any rules you want to add under any rules you consider more important.
0 Replies

aalishan

Fri 1 Oct, 2004 03:19 am
Craven, any suggestions for my above issue.. I am desperately waiting to solve this problem.
Please advice
Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 1 Oct, 2004 03:25 am
Sorry, I missed that.

Please note that your request is not part of this mod, I'll provide limited help here, but in the future (or if you'll need additional help) please start a thread for things like that.

It would be prefferable to address the domain direction through DNS and server configuration (e.g. directing the domain to a subfolder with the new page).

If there is a specific reason it has to be addressed with rewrite rules, post a thread about it and I'll try to get to it when I have some time.
0 Replies