phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 10:37 am
azz wrote:
Basically the
<title>{SITENAME} :: {PAGE_TITLE}</title>

was like this
<title>{SITENAME} -- {PAGE_TITLE}</title>

It had two hypens in the middle instead of two colons - I changed it anyway as I figured it'd be ok?

Yes

Quote:
P.s also whilst I got you attention.. am I right to assume that all the changes in your mod only affect 'guests' (ie people not logged in)? And when anyone logs in it's exactly like normal (i.e b4 the mod was implemented?) thanks.

No, there are some things that will be altered for all users. Most are trivial.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 10:42 am
viewtopic.tpl

Find:

Code:<span class="smalltext">{S_AUTH_LIST}</span>

Replace with:

Code:<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<span class="smalltext">{S_AUTH_LIST}</span>
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

Make sure the switches are on their own lines.

Skip the index_body.tpl change unless you know basic HTML. The parts that need to be switched in and out are in different table cells. Figuring it out is just basic HTML but I won't be rewriting that template for ya (a bit too busy).
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:06 am
Thanks.

Which features will be missed out if I skip the index_body.tpl changes ?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:09 am
The who's online and stats will be visible to spiders.
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:24 am
If I had a wish list (as seen below) could you let me know which bits of your mod I would need and which bits I could skip?
Sorry to take up your time I know you are a busy person!

I think the main features I would hope to get out of your mod is:

Remove Sids
Remove the text 'viewtopic' in page titles and,
Replace guest urls from .php to .html

And if possible:
(for guests only) remove the links to; users profiles and posts since last visit.

Simple probably but I haven't got a clue about php!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:25 am
Every single thing you mentioned is already a part of the mod or is vanilla phpbb.
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:38 am
oops sorry I didn't make myself clear - I meant if those were the 'only' features I wanted to use out of your Mod (i.e if possible leave the other features out)

Also, which bits are Vanillia phpbb? (I assume you mean they already built into the standard unmodified version?)

Sorry again for all the questions.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 11:48 am
The posts since last visit is displayed only for logged in users by default.

Removing "viewtopic" from the title is done in the mod with this code:

Code:#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

viewtopic.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

$page_title = $lang['View_topic'] .' - ' . $topic_title;

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#

$page_title = $topic_title;

Removing SIDs for guests is done in the mod with this code:

Code:#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

includes/sessions.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

$SID = 'sid=' . $session_id;

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#

if ( $userdata['session_user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ){
$SID = 'sid=' . $session_id;
} else {
$SID = '';
}

The URL rewriting for html extensions is done with the code in the separate file that comes with the mod (titled: phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0).
0 Replies

AlpineZone

Thu 6 May, 2004 12:10 pm
I think something in search.php is not working. If you click on the post count for a user, it does a search for all posts by that user. In the search results, the user's name is linked to their profile. Isn't this a drain?
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 12:10 pm
Thanks Craven de Kere - your a *
(a star!)
:-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 12:18 pm
AlpineZone wrote:
I think something in search.php is not working. If you click on the post count for a user, it does a search for all posts by that user. In the search results, the user's name is linked to their profile. Isn't this a drain?

Yep, somewhat. But it's a drain from the search page and not from the viewtopic page. I migth address it later but it would probably mean just eliminating the link because if that name is linked to the search page too it would just be a loop.
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 01:45 pm
going a bit off-topic here, I read somewhere you have your own Hosting Company Craven? If so can you PM me a price on your cheapest Dedicated servers please? (feel free to delete this msg after, I didnt want to PM u without prior permission). Cheers
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 01:48 pm
You'd probably be best served by serverbeach or ev1servers if you want an economical server and know how to manage it yourself.

I can give good rates on shared and reseller accounts but for dedicated boxes the only advantage with using my services is to have a managed (and more costly) box.

If ya want a good deal on cheap dedicated go with either ev1servers (used to be rackshack) or serverbeach.

Valueweb has even cheaper boxes, but the two I recommend above are a better overall deal IMO.
0 Replies

azz

Thu 6 May, 2004 02:56 pm
Thanks C

Never 'managed' a server myself - is there much involved?
I've used WHM as we've had various types of hosting over the years.

Dedicated box is our next step - currently researching all the different OSs as we don't really need Cpanel. Just need to be able to set-up client accounts really and give them a basic CP to, perhaps add Awstats, webamil etc.

How much do you managed servers start from?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 6 May, 2004 03:21 pm
It can be difficult. It all depends on your expertise.

WHM and CPanel are just different ends of the same control panel BTW.

PM me if you are really interested. I still think eviservers and serverbeach are your best bets.
0 Replies

mjmls

Thu 6 May, 2004 10:16 pm
Hi Craven,

I am having a couple minor problems I wish for help if you could.

The update I downloaded contained two updates and an instruction to upgrade. When I tried to install the second mod (flip to html), my forum does not load. The index page does, and I can see the html extension, but the file is not found when you click on a subject to read. I am not sure where this problem is nested. Would it have anything to do with the Robots.txt file, or the .htaccess?

On another instance of installation, prior to my last phpbb update, I was having my site indexed thankfully, but the search engine listing would say, "critical error, could not connect to database", when it was presented in the results page. Would this indicate that I did not properly implement the robots.txt file?

Thanks again for the code. I hope my questioning does not sound to amateurish. Not very familiar with Php, only took a few dabs thus far.
0 Replies

azz

Fri 7 May, 2004 06:35 am
Hi MJ

Not sure about the FLip to Html Prob as I havent used it myself yet but regarding the robots.txt file, this should not have any impact on the problem you mention as the robots.txt file simply tells the search engine 'robot' what to index and what not to index. It seems as though the pages it has indexed are the problem or are no longer there.

I'm sure Craven or one of the other Mods will help you further.
0 Replies

azz

Fri 7 May, 2004 07:01 am
Hi Craven

The bits I have done so far are:

- Removed Sids
- Removed text: 'View topic' from view topic page
- Removed text: 'View forum' from view forum page

I'd also be grateful if you could let me know which bits of your code I need to change:

On the Forum Index page

- Remove the text: 'index' on the forum index page and if possible place my preffered text there (Please ignore this one as I've jus worked it out..)
- remove the link (for guests only) to the 'user profile' on the far right of the forum underneath 'last post'
- remove the link (for guests only) to the 'view latest post' just to the right of the 'user profile' link mentioned above.

On the View Forum page

- remove the link (for guests only) to the 'user profile' on the far right of the forum underneath 'last post'
- remove the link (for guests only) to the 'view latest post' just to the right of the 'user profile' link mentioned above.
- remove the link (for guests only) to the 'user profile' underneath 'Author'

On theView Topic page

- remove links (for guests only) to: 'profile', 'send pm' and 'quote'

Sorry once again for taking up so much of your time.
0 Replies

LocanT

Sat 8 May, 2004 02:09 am
Hi Craven

Lovely site here.

First a big thanks for your time with the phbbb SEO Mod.

I have installed the version 2.0 and it seems to be all OK.

Craven, when You or someone else has the time, could you please answer a couple of points.

1. Usergroups- Are these an issue as they are still viewable by guests and I presume SE.

If so! Is there a Mod for that? or if not, should I just dump them(in my case I am only just starting so it would not be a issue)

2. Do I still need to do the mod rewrite and if so
Does anyone have an idiots guide?
I am totally lost with even knowing what a htaccess file does let alone mod rewrite or how to go about it.

Thanks in advance
0 Replies

ccb056

Sat 8 May, 2004 11:42 am
How would I remove these three things for guests:
The "Post" button next to the Posted: 05/08/04 9:35am
The "Quote" button at the top right of every post
The "Back to Top" button on the FI subSilver Shadow Theme
0 Replies