My Dog Has Fleas! Still!

crycrywolf

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
just like everyone has been saying....Revolution/advantage/fontline...any of those work really well. they go into the blood stream and when fleas bite they die.
you put one dose of these on once a month and thats it...no more fleas.

makes way more sense than just trying to get rid of fleas with sprays and stuff. Prevention is key...stop the problem before it becomes a problem

m veterinarian recommends Revolution because it gets rid of ticks and mites too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:27 pm
and, welcome to a2k, crycrywolf...
0 Replies

123erica

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:50 pm
Fleas eating us alive!
Help!
I have a cute poodle for several years, and he has brought fleas into our house.
The fleas do not bite my sons, rather, they bite my daughters.
As a result, they have flea bites on their feet, ankles, and lower legs. They will not wear sandals for embarassment over how they look.
They have resorted to putting makeup on their legs to cover up the bites.
I have tried some treatments, and I have gotten my dog flea dipped as well as flea drops.
I keep my carpet vacuumed frequently.
My daughters are crying for me to get rid of him, for they are tired of being picked on regarding their legs.
There has GOT to be a way to get these 'things' out of my carpet as well as my pet.
If there is NOT a way, then he will have to go. This will not give a solution for the fleas in myhome, though, as that will take time either way you look at it.
Can ANYONE PLEASE help me? Embarrassed
Thanks so much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:55 pm
Erica, read the rest of the thread. Fleas are attracted to dogs. Dogs who have been treated with these new products have fleas jump on them but not survive. This has worked for a number of those posting.
0 Replies

123erica

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
Greetings.
I will read this entire thread when I get home from work.
It is quite obvioius that fleas are attracted to dogs.
I'm very embarassed that the fleas also jump on me and my girls.
I am picking them off of me as I type this.
Is there a 'repellent' or something I can use until I clean up my dog as well as my house?
Will I have to replace all my carpeting?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:56 am
Hi, Erica. The Advantage ads say that the product breaks the life cycle of the flea, it gets them before they lay eggs.
Since the fleas are very attracted to the dog, which has now has something in its system such as Advantage that kills them, they are apt to jump on the dog instead of stay on the carpet.

It's true that you may have remaining fleas that jump on your daughter's ankles, but that should diminish. I know there are products like flea bombs, that you set off in the house, but I am not sure they are necessary, and I'd research their toxicity on Google before setting one off in my house myself. Perhaps I'd use flea bomb as a one time only effort, and then make sure my dog kept up on the use of Advantage or one of the similar products.

Mine gets a flea once in a while, since I don't give him Advantage as often as once a month, and then I give it to him and that is the end of that... they don't take over the house.
Advantage link

Here's a general web link on flea control, the first one I saw on Google.com when I searched under Flea bomb (it has many more products listed than just "air bombs". There were a lot of other sites listed under that one.
Flea Control
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:22 am
Here at Timberland, critters that pester pups are a pretty much constant consideration. Frontline, as mentioned before, is the preferred first-line-of-defense hereabouts (to the tune of a whole buncha bucks ... we've got a whole buncha pups Laughing ). Having plenty of pups with which to experiment, and plenty of grassland, bog, and woods from which the pups can and do make ready selection of pesky pests, we've tried just about all the others, and have found Frontline works the best. In particular, it seems far less prone to washing off or becoming inneffective when the pups go swimming, which they do here all the time.

Once the critters are established within a dwelling or kennel, however you do have to take extra steps ... flea eggs can remain dormant for many seasons, maturing and hatching when conditions are right. You've gotta get 'em all the first time, and keep up the battle for a pretty fair time, or in no time, you'll be up to your itches in the pesky critters again and again and again. Try Flea Stoppers borate treatment for carpets and furnture, including the pup's preferred bedding and lounging areas.

For particularly nasty infestations, immediate on-the-pet results are good with Frontline Spray

There are lotsa other products out there, and, as mentioned, we've tried lotsa them. Your mileage may vary, but that's what's worked for us.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:47 am
My dog has had fleas only once in his life. At first we weren't even aware that he had them as they didn't bite us and they are difficult to spot on his dappled black and white fur. They only indication that we had was that he was going bald. Yes, bald. He was actually chewing his own fur off in an attempt to get at the horrible nasty fleas which were plaguing him.

Well, we took him off to the vet right quick and the vet actually told us that my poor little doggie is allergic to fleas. A dog that is allergic to fleas!! Shocked

Well we took the necessary measures, flea baths, flea powders and sprays for the carpets and his bedding, and he now goes nowhere without his flea collar. His fur grew back and he's as happy as Larry again.

Wat I'd like to know is, has anyone else ever had a dog that was allergic to fleas?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:16 am
I am coming from a point of no chemical use when it comes to animals.
The flea collars you buy over the counter dont work... as you can tell. ;-) The chemical flakes off and disperses over thier bodies and the fleas simply go where the chemical isnt... wich is under and around the flea collar.

1 tbsp Vinegar to 1 gallon of water.
That is thier drinking water. No fleas.
ALL of my animals have thier water prepared like that. Completely natural way of getting rid of fleas. I have used this method for 7 years, no fleas, no ticks, not even on my outside animals. The 'tang' of vinegar passes through thier hair follicles like sweat and fleas will not go near thier skin because of it.
Simple, cheap, and easy,,,,, kind of like me. HAHAHAHAHHA
0 Replies

123erica

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:30 am
shewolfnm wrote:

1 tbsp Vinegar to 1 gallon of water.
That is thier drinking water. No fleas.
ALL of my animals have thier water prepared like that. Completely natural way of getting rid of fleas. I have used this method for 7 years, no fleas, no ticks, not even on my outside animals. The 'tang' of vinegar passes through thier hair follicles like sweat and fleas will not go near thier skin because of it. HAHAHAHAHHA

OH MY GOD!
Where have you been all my life? Shocked
I did find something that works, though.
The HARTZ flea tick drops DO WORK.
Mind you, I did not get the one for his weight, as he weighs 15 lbs or less.
I got the one for a 90-pound + dog. I know that was possibly 'toxic', but my daughters were suffering too much.
I also paid a local exterminator to spray. He sprays twice a month, and I pay $26.00/month for services. I have a 12-month contract with them to do this.

I wish I knew about the vinegar, though.
I just poured some vinegar in my dog's water.
Thanks for the advice. I REALLY appreciate it.
Hugs,
123erica
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:37 am
That vinegar thing sounds interesting, I may have to try it. Now I just have to figure out how much a gallon is...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:47 am
I doubt you'll find a vet that endorses the vinegar/water method. It gets lots of play on the 'net and among holistic folks, but neither the chemistry nor the physiology works out. I've seen a couple clinical studies that equate its effect with that of the test's placebo. It likely won't do any harm, and if it makes you feel better, go right ahead. It ain't gonna do much for your pet. Garlic is another nostrum in the same category.

A 50/50 water/vinegar rinse is effective, however, at killing flea eggs in bedding materials. But then, so is just plain running the bedding through the washing machine in hot water with any good detergent.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
fortune wrote:
That vinegar thing sounds interesting, I may have to try it. Now I just have to figure out how much a gallon is...

A gallon (US) is about 3.8 liters, an Imperial Gallon is about 4.5 liters.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:59 am
I have asked a couple of vets and you are right. They dont jump on the vinegar water bandwagon at all. But I truly have yet to see a single flea on my dog, cats, or birds. No skin problems, no digestive problems nothing. I have been doing this for 7 years. Way before it became a popular-fad . hahahahah
I live in a humid warm city where fleas are EVERYWHERE. So far so good for my animals though. Maybe it works? Maybe it doesnt? So far I think it does.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:57 pm
Thanks for the measurements, timberlandko. I was actually trying (poorly) to be funny.
0 Replies

Rattenburg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:56 pm
A good solution is a load of dishwashing soap. Joy, Palmolive and those types. Wet the animal (I use it on my rats, but it works on all animals) and squirt the stuff on them, lather it up, then try to pat bubbles down and such, then set for 5 minutes and rinse. It suffocates the parasites (works on all bug parasites, mites, fleas, lice.) but it doesn't kill the eggs, so do a repeat of this treatment in a week. It's SUPER effective.
0 Replies

Rattenburg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:17 pm
Re: Fleas eating us alive!
123erica wrote:
Help!
I have a cute poodle for several years, and he has brought fleas into our house.
The fleas do not bite my sons, rather, they bite my daughters.
As a result, they have flea bites on their feet, ankles, and lower legs. They will not wear sandals for embarassment over how they look.
They have resorted to putting makeup on their legs to cover up the bites.
I have tried some treatments, and I have gotten my dog flea dipped as well as flea drops.
I keep my carpet vacuumed frequently.
My daughters are crying for me to get rid of him, for they are tired of being picked on regarding their legs.
There has GOT to be a way to get these 'things' out of my carpet as well as my pet.
If there is NOT a way, then he will have to go. This will not give a solution for the fleas in myhome, though, as that will take time either way you look at it.
Can ANYONE PLEASE help me? Embarrassed
Thanks so much.

One question, if your kids constantly had lice, would you throw them out because of it? No? Then don't throw the dog out for it. Pets, like children, are NOT DISPOSABLE toys.
0 Replies

eeyyuu

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:28 pm
fleas
Newbee me...I have a tremendous flea problem...I have two dogs one with a collie coat and an eight month old irish setter...problem discovered fleas 7 days ago. Both dogs already using frontlne plus for months. When we discovered fleas applied another application of frontline that moment, gave dogs flea baths, I now have the cleanest house ever, because of all the vacumming and washing of things. Today is day7 dogs have had another bath , flea and tick spray applied to them, yard has been sprayed Friday with "max bug be gone" (lawn and plants), and we all spent most of the day outside because we BOMBED the house inside. I went to pet my collie tonight and Boink there it is again, A LIVE FLEA, HEEELLLPPPP!!!! My dogs are suffering from the itching and I'm afraid to apply anything more spray or powder or frontline to them. Confused Can I give them one more bath and actually pour the shampoo in the water, make it a "bubblebath" and have them soak in it ? Sorry I'm writing this so late but just found this site. Have to leave for work in an hour but will be back 8a.m. tomorrow...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:34 pm
eeyyuu--

Check with your vet to see what is safe.

Perhaps when the cockroaches rule the world, the fleas will feed on them?

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

eeyyuu

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:08 am
fleas
We can only hope Laughing

I would ask my vet, but when I called last week when we first discovred them, I told them the situation and they told me that "frontline guarantees their product, I should give them a call". That was all they had to say. Now as we access the situation we remember we had our collie mix into see the vet for a bad scrape on her front leg Wednesday morning the week before. Wonder if she contracted the fleas there, as they offered no help, suggestions and were quick to get off the phone with me....can't prove it so won't point fingers, but we are now looking for a new vet. She is 4years old and has always been on frontline and has NEVER had a flea problem before...
Meanwhile...I have 1 more vacumm cleaner bag left, and lots of soap n' water to clean up around the house again...my mom would be so proud, you can probably eat off any surface in my house right now, things are so scrubbed (if it weren't for the fleas) ! Very Happy
Have to find some humor in this, if just to keep my sanity...thanks
0 Replies