fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:13 pm
Pose the question in one of two ways.

1. Post a picture

OR:

2. (If you can't or don't want to post a picture) Describe a place with 3 clues. i.e:

1. dry.
2. hot.
3. rocks.

Answer: (Zion National Monument)

Then we have 20 yes or no questions to get it.

Whoever guesses correctly goes next.

The place can be general for instance: England.
Or the place can be more specific: 10 Downing St.

The question answer will decide how specific he or she wants the answer to be.

Be specific when choosing a place. "At a waterfall" is too general but "Niagra Falls" is okay.

No fictional places: i.e. "Never-Neverland"

Generally the place will be of Historical, Geographic, or of some notoriety, but we'll see where this leads

Google all you want!

We can tweak the rules as we go if neccesary.

NO CHEATING i.e. looking up urls! Thank you. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Here's the first one:

http://www.bus.miami.edu/~ldouglas/rose/GramensChinese1a.JPG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 251,973 • Replies: 11,230
No top replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:32 pm
Bravo! This is a great game, Fealola.
My guess was Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I have a picture of my daughter and me standing in front of it, but will the picture idea work? If you click on it, and then on properties, it will probably identify it for you.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:38 pm
MMMM that hit a pretty quick snag, is there a way round that?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:40 pm
Oh no! I didn't realize that!

I say we just use the honor system-- I guess! Do you think we should just make it a guessing game? I guess we could try to be careful and post pictures with urls that wont give it away unless you link to them. Or use our own pix. Oh well. (Thinking out loud)-- I say, honor system. What do you think?

Anyway, you are right! It's the (Now called) Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Better known as Graumans Chinese theater.

Your turn!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:46 pm
Ask another one, Fealola. There must be a way to get around the picture IDs,but I'm totally illiterate in those matters. The only reason I knew about clicking on properties is because we used to post pictures from Google on Something in Common Game. But if you want to try the honor system, you can't, OOPS, I mean CAN count on me.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
Ha! Kev, do you want to do the next one, and do you solomnly swear... Laughing

Yeah, we should ask Craven-- okay.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
Perhaps Craven might be able to suggest something?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:50 pm
fealola wrote:
Ha! Kev, do you want to do the next one, and do you solomnly swear... Laughing

Yeah, we should ask Craven-- okay.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:00 pm
How about a slightly different strategy? We post a pic like this one but you dont have to say what the pic is, this is merely the first clue as to what you are looking for. Does tha sound like it has potential?
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:01 pm
Maybe this will help...
Let's see if this will work. I will take your picture and your url and give it another url

http://tinyurl.com/v2om

Yeah, it work!

Go here and it will explain everything.

http://tinyurl.com/#toolbar
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:11 pm
I'm on Mac. I just tried it and got the url by choosing open image in new window! Same url.

Hmm. Kev. Sounds interesting, more like a scavenger hunt. I don't know. What do you think Raggedy?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
I've just tried caramels way, that works o.k.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:17 pm
Thanks, carmel! But I still get the same URL. I'm on a Mac and I can open the image in a new window and it still comes up.

Kev. Interesting. More like a scavenger hunt. I still like the idea of ID'ing the actual picture. What do you think, raggedy and carmel? Maybe you could post additional pix as clues.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
So kev's game would be something like this.

The answer is: The Oval Office in The White House.

I post a map of the US

people guess and at some point they can have another hint. So I post a picture of Washinton DC or an Oval or whatever.

More guesses and hints until we zoom in on it.

Now, how many guesses, hints etc? The hint don't have to be pictures either.

hmm.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
How about if you give clues about things that are in the area of the building, etc. that you are looking for?

Example... Niagara Falls.

Hint, Border two countries

many tourists traps

that sort of thing.

Just throwing out ideas
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:31 pm
I say all of the above is okay. Let the question giver decide what game they want to play an everybody keep it honest. Somebody post one and let's go! Then we can try em all and see what works best. Go Gus, Kev or Carmel!
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
I don't think I can follow you here...
fealola wrote:
Thanks, carmel! But I still get the same URL. I'm on a Mac and I can open the image in a new window and it still comes up.

Kev. Interesting. More like a scavenger hunt. I still like the idea of ID'ing the actual picture. What do you think, raggedy and carmel? Maybe you could post additional pix as clues.

Actually when you take a picture from the web it usually has his name in the url. And when you right click on that picture and click on properties the url and it's name will show up making it easy to identify that picture.

By going to this site you take the url of the picture put it the box where it say : Enter a long URL to make tiny and click on MakeTinyURL it will make the url shorter and giving it another name. Now by taking that new url (same picture) and posting it here people won't be able to identify that picture by right clicking it and going to properties.

I hope I made it easy to understand.

Don't know if it makes any difference if you use a Mac.

BTW my name is CARAMEL not Carmel!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:39 pm
Sorry, Caramel!

Yep. Macs can still tell. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I can still see the original url and it says grauman chinese theater on it.

Lets proceed anyway in any way.

fealola wrote:
I say all of the above is okay. Let the question giver decide what game they want to play an everybody keep it honest. Somebody post one and let's go! Then we can try em all and see what works best. Go Gus, Kev or Carmel!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:51 pm
Carmel...carmel.....carmel....

Nya, nya nya nya.....................nya
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:52 pm
Kev, it doesn't show!

After all that! Laughing Laughing Laughing

We shall call this "Dealers Choice" Cool
0 Replies