Homosexuals

husker

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:27 am
it is strange that Bugger20 has posted 47 time and not attended back to this discussion??
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:34 am
Untill Bugger checks back in and gives more info on the "Documentary" (premise, intended audience) etc. I would suggest holding back on commenting. At this point I'm suspicious. Looks like maybe there is no Documentary and his post was perhaps just to get people to out themselves and others. Sorry, Bug, if I'm wrong. But where is he? He's been posting elsewhere for the last few days.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:28 am
I'm still curious about the name he's using.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:39 am
http://www.spitfiresunited.com/mp3/funstuff/weightlifter.mp3

<Radio edit>
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:16 pm
Well, perhaps it's a ploy, but I see no harm in discussing the parts of his question that DON'T involve outing our members. . . especially since he seems to have abandoned us. . .
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:45 pm
Sofia wrote:
Interesting sociological moment.
We've had plenty of randy sex threads, wherein we discussed all manner of aspects of our sexuality...
Then, a guy comes in and asks orientation questions point blank, and the reception is chilly.

I'm missing something. I'm not criticising the response, but I am curious about it. Can someone explain? Is it because he's new?

Added: I do know why people wouldn't name others... I guess that's it.

I ask the same questions when some telemarketer starts asking personal questions. I want to know how the information is going to be used before deciding to volunteer it and still don't answer questions that cross the line.

I think he'd get a larger response with a different approach. Not everyone is interested in outing themselves on the boards. He can introduce the documentary project and ask if anyone would like to volunteer to participate in a survey and have them PM him if interested so he can email the questions to them. At the end of the survey, he can include statistical data questions such as gender, orientation, location, etc.

If he wants to discuss the questions on the boards, they can be asked without the requirement of a sexual orientation label.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:43 pm
Re: Homosexuals
Bugger20 wrote:
Also, does anyone know any discrimination stories they are willing to share? We can make this into a discussion.

No stories, but a news story - one that made me go Shocked - and be grateful i'm dutch ; -)

Quote:
Most Americans, 55 percent, say they feel that homosexuality is a sin, while 33 percent disagree.

Poll finds more oppose gay marriage
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
"An estimated 1.2 million men were homosexuals in Germany in 1928. Between 1933-45, an estimated 100,000 men were arrested as homosexuals and of these, some 50,000 officially defined homosexuals were sentenced. Most of these men spent time in regular prisons, and an estimated 5,000 to 15,000 of the total sentenced were incarcerated in concentration camps.

"How many of these 5,000 to 15,000 "175ers" [after paragraph 175 of the Nazi Criminal Code which was specifically anti-homosexual] perished in the concentration camps will probably never be known. Historical research to date has been very limited. One leading scholar, Ruediger Lautmann, believes that the death rate for "175ers" in the camps may have been as high as sixty percent."

http://www.chez.com/triangles/era.htm

The vast majority of homosexual Germans escaped the Nazis because they were able to pass themselves off as heterosexuals.

I think most Americans would prefer some sort of anti-homosexual laws also. In the state of Texas, 56 percent of the population opposed the SCOTUS decision ruling the state's anti-sodomy law as unconstitutional.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/6698373.htm
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
Massachusetts, considered by some to be the most liberal state in the union, recently sent a case to their supreme court legalizing gay marriage. The court refused the case, struck it down, saying they had no right to rule on it.

And in a poll, something like 60% of the residents didn't approve of the law. . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
Okay here goes...I am not gay, but as a Catholic school boy I did have an opportunity for the training program but it involved staying after school with Father Joe and I wasn't in to extracurricular activities........
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
Is that your discrimination story, BPB? :-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:45 pm
That's his choirboy remains mute story.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:29 pm
I was merely responding to Sofias post that people seemed to go mute at point blank question.....just trying to keep the conversation lively and actually lightwizard I was the featured soloist for the St. Pauls episcopal boys choir and did not have to sleep my way to the position.... Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:44 pm
I thought I heard something on NPR tonight about Massachusetts 'okaying' gay marriage. But I was busy parking and missed the text of the story.

The numbers posted here re the hostility to homosexuals in the US are quite depressing... STILL? I tend get a skewed view of things as I don't hang around coteries of people that have different views than moi.

I guess I should explain that. I don't belong to many groups, as such. OK, ok, I finally joined the Redwood Art Association, how could I not, but I don't go to such events as church suppers or chamber of commerce meetings or all that much else where I might assess the popularity of views counter to my own. Thus my surprise at national election time, etc.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:51 pm
Yep, osso...us left-wingers aren't evangelistic by nature. We tend to mind our own business(es). Unfortunately, that has left the field open for the right wing extremists. Perhaps we should be more vocal, hmm?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:10 pm
Well, I marched quietly last year, so quietly it was standing still. And I do once in a while talk w/my reps as I know my reps personally, but that is preaching to the choir (speaking of choir). I admire those on a2k who engage each other with their stances and their statistics, and enjoy it when "combatants" grow to respect each other. A2k is a learning situation for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
Bi-polar: Is that the famous St. Paul's Horizontal Boys Choir?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:32 pm
For those amused by numbers, as pointed out in the latest Pew Research poll, cited in this MSNBC article, general public sentiment is negative to the proposition, and while naturally opposition is strongest among likely Republican voters, Democrats are split 46% For, 48% Against.
Quote:
A new national survey of 1,515 Americans, released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center, found that opposition to marriage between gay people has risen from 53 percent in July to 59 percent in Pew's current survey. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to Oct. 19.
The survey also found that nearly four out of five voters who favor re-electing President Bush oppose marriage between gays.
But voters who want a Democrat elected in 2004 are split, with 46 percent favoring legal recognition of marriages between gays and 48 percent opposed.

The only stance I'll take here-and-now is that I expect this is gonna be big come next Autum.

I will admit that in damned near 60 years, I ain't met the right guy yet ....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:14 am
you're confusing the St. Pauls choir with the St. Paul Lindes' choir there lightwizard.....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:03 am
The US is still the only place I've ever seen a protest at the funeral of a gay man who was bashed to death-for being gay. That is so frightening, I lack the vocabulary to explain my thoughts on the subject.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Homosexuals
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:12:37