Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:38 pm
Tool is my favorite band. I think that they are absolutely amazing. Not only is Tool's music really great, the lyrics are even better, and the good thing is that the lyrics are a lot deeper and more meaningful than most bands. I really like the complexity of the lyrics, their message seems to be more symbolic and somewhat subliminal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,571 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:08 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I really like Tool as well, but unfortunately some of their fans tend to piss me off. One of the things I enjoy about the band is their use of different time signatures. The song Lateralus is a good example. If I remember right it is in 13/8.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:03 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yes, and vicarious is another different time signature. And i can seem what you mean about Tool fans being annoying, but not all are.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:49 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Bump... anyone want to discuss any of their songs?
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:44 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I like the old Tool better, they seem to have gotten more mainstream and "A Perfect Circle"-ish for me. The first three albums are my favorites. I saw Tool in concert back on '01, they put on an awesome show. Nudie ladies swinging from suspended fabric and all!

The thing about Tool is that ever member is a refined musician, especially their drummer. It is often the case that the drummer of a band is a nobody who just does his job. But the drummer of Tool has some excellent tallent that he displays well.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:55 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I actually prefer the last two Tool albums with Lateralus coming out on top. I love how they have incorporated Danny Carey's tabla into their sound, and they continue to experiment with more odd time signatures. The trilogy on Lateralus is just amazing. When they played that at a concert I went to, it was the highlight of the show. Also, Alex Grey is the perfect artist for Tool album packaging.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:03 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Not only do i think each tool member is extremely talented in what they play, on the contrary i think Tool is only getting better. Songs like Rosetta Stoned from there newest album, 10,000 days just makes me realize how great of a band they really are. The earlier albums such as undertow were much angrier and even maynard has said it himself, he has changed. Aenima was probably their best album but still the latest two albums, 10,000 days and lateralus are amazing and with each album comes a different theme. I really don't think Tool is going mainstream at all to be honest. I really like their originality and i doubt they ever will conform.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@Yogi DMT,
bump, i have a forum Tool Band Forums i made for tool discussion

any huge fans? might wanna join here so we can have some good discussion Smile
proV

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:03 am
@Yogi DMT,
I would really like to know who is he talking about in the Eulogy song.. Any ideas? Smile

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:56 pm
@proV,
proV;70576 wrote:
I would really like to know who is he talking about in the Eulogy song.. Any ideas? Smile

Oh, that is easy. The song "Eulogy" is about Bill Hicks. Many people think that it is about Kurt Cobain. Bill Hicks was a very political comedian (if you didn't know) that was killed far too soon by lung cancer. There is a painting of Bill Hicks in the liner notes of the Aenima album.

Death is often a topic of Tool songs. On their latest 10,000 Days, "Wings for Marie" and "10,000 Days" were about Maynard's mother that had died while they were recording the album.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 12:08 am
@Yogi DMT,
Kielicious

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 12:37 am
@Yogi DMT,
Tool is one of my favorite bands. They need to come out with a new album soooon! Also, this vid is interesting and I wonder exactly how much did Maynard spend on synching lateralus...

YouTube - The Fibonacci in Lateralus
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:28 am
@Kielicious,
de Silentio;62551 wrote:
It is often the case that the drummer of a band is a nobody who just does his job. But the drummer of Tool has some excellent tallent that he displays well.

It is often the case that people make such statements without having any understanding of, much less appreciation for, the subtleties of doing nothing more and nothing less than the job of a drummer.

Anyone can sit down and play four on the floor. But a drummer will practice playing four on the four until he dies. Drumming is, after all, an art.

But, yes Danny Carey is a fantastic drummer.

As for Tool as a band, I cannot help but appreciate the technical competence and mastery they have as a unit, but I have never listened to Tool for personal enjoyment. As a drummer far better than Carey would ever be once said "No one wants to listen to something you can't dance to". 13/8 is not much of a leg shaker.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:16 am
@Yogi DMT,
Tool is known for incorporating many different time signatures in their music and even in some areas transitions form on to another in the same song. Western audiences like to hear music in a 4/4 time signature. Almost every single popular song today is done in 4/4. Some may find this time signature more auditorily satisfying and pleasing. Tool has had influences from all over the world and some of the worldly beats they use don't register as well with western audiences. In fact, one of Danny's drumming mentors, taught him a much more eastern style of drumming. Technically he is a fantastic drummer and is truly an athlete to play songs like Ticks & Leeches that go for about 10 minutes. His work is very unique in the regard that he seamlessly transitions from one time signature to another within the same song with few other drummers can do so well. Like i said, Danny is an astounding drummer with skill that not many can match and all the other members of the band are technically amazing. Yes you may not be able to dance to them as easily (depends on what you consider dancing Razz), but you have to think of the purpose of their music. Is Tool meant to be played in a party? Probably not. I for one, actually like the sound of Tool, and it seems to be an acquired taste for most people. But music might not be about dancing for some people, and Tool has a greater meaning. Tool, and rather all music usually has two distinct parts, the music and the lyrics. While some may just say, go write a book if you want to convey messages, i feel Tool is trying to get what they have to say across through arguably great music. I didn't start off liking Tool, and actually hated them, just like every other ignorant and close-minded person. That's not to say some just don't like Tool, i understand that, but when someone doesn't even give them a good listen then their opinions warrant no value or meaning to me. So i continued listening to them by way of a friends persistence, and eventually they grew on me. I didn't hear one of their songs right away and go, wow! that sounds great. Anyone who takes Tool for what they are at face value is just demonstrating that they are nieve. After listening to them a great deal, I've come to really enjoy the music even if i can't really "dance" to it as well.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:30 am
@Yogi DMT,
I'm not much of a dancer. Perhaps this is why Tool is my favorite band of all time Smile

Lateralus, Anemia, and Vicarious, when listened to properly (good sound system or >$100 IEHs), send shivers down my spine. You have to be able to hear Carrey's each drum beat to really appreciate each song, in my opinion. I'm a sucker for a good drummer, and the guitar riffs on the majority of their songs are just downright fun to listen to. Not to mention... invigorating. Excellent, excellent gym music.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Zetherin,
I comment on music as a drummer. Carey is great, absolutely, but it is easy to get over-estimate just how good he is without the perspective of knowing just how good some other drummers are and have been. Carey is no where near Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Vinnie Coliauta, Steve Gadd, ect.

Playing multiple polyrhythms on different limbs is impressive, but it's apples and oranges when you compare this style to the playing of a Bernard Purdie or Jabo Starks. Carey could not handle their gigs. Purdie could handle Carey's gig without any trouble.

And, yes, Tool manages to address significant psychological and philosophical issues in their music - but this is far from ground breaking. Rush comes to mind.

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 04:48 pm
@Yogi DMT,
My father listens to tool, although ive never given them a try, maybe i should...:deep-thought:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 04:49 pm
@9289599639499539488182957,
It's a good group. Not really my thing, but definitely worth a listen. Grab a record and give it a chance.
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;73436 wrote:
... Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Vinnie Coliauta, Steve Gadd, ect.

*cough* Keith Moon *cough*

Or is that too off genre for you?
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:17 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Well, there is one thing that Danny Carey plays that none of the other drummers listed play--the tabla. The tabla is a notoriously difficult drum to master, and Danny Carey has been progressing in his playing of it over the last couple Tool albums.