Tower of Babel by R W Wetherill

salima

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 02:09 am
the author has created a theory he calls humanetics to explain what causes a person to be unable to think rationally. he offers several methods of restoring the function of accurate thought.

he claims human beings deliberately install distortions in their thinking process in order to conclude that something they want to do is 'right' while knowing it is 'wrong'. this goes beyond rationalization and justification in that it sets up pathways of faulty reasoning that subsequent decisions involving similar issues will be filtered through beneath the level of conscious thought. distortions are added as needed to support the originals which begin in childhood, forming categories and chains of dependent distortions.

Wetherill's concept of absolute right is intriguing assuming one believes there is such an attribute as a conscience. (I suspect there is, but am still searching for an adequate definition, description and proof). he states as a basic law that right action = right results, defining right action as that act which satisfies these three criteria: logic (for the intelligence) expedience (for desire) and morality (for the conscience). however, even if you doubt there is any such thing as morality and conscience, you may gain a lot of insight from the processes of distortions in rational thought, which surely everyone has noticed in others. this book presents ways of identifying it in ourselves and correcting our logical deviations.

the theory enters the domains of philosophy, psychology and ethics, maybe more, and seems to explain human behavior very well. it was published in 1950 but I would say its content is of a timeless nature. it is written in simple terms, obviously learned by participation in a variety of human interaction, deep introspection and careful observation in many life situations, rather than through books or in the classroom.

I read this about ten years ago and was very impressed, and now re-reading it I can identify the workings of the theory in my own life quite vividly. other paths may certainly set us out in the right direction, and these faults will correct automatically, but it is always nice to be conscious of what is going on. I have the book saved in five pdf documents comprising a total of 120 pages, which I dont remember how I found, but I will email to anyone who is interested if they send me their address by PM.

I find striking similarities to L Ron Hubbard's Dianetics, but in my opinion scientology is riddled with a lot of material that is illogical, unbelievable and simply far out, which I do not find in the Tower of Babel. I have only now, however, discovered that there is some controversy and negative stories, some of which are told by family members, concerning R W Wetherill, so I would suggest reading the material first before doing any research on the background and personal life of the author.

here is an excerpt:
"Each person has his peculiar distortions of logic. Because of his distortions, whatever they are, he displays a more or less consistent pattern of distorted thinking, irrational conversation, and illogical conduct. If we question him, we learn that each example of distorted thinking is quite inflexible. If we criticize him, we discover that he considers his misguided conduct intelligent under the circumstances that stimulate him to indulge in it. If we challenge him, we find that he defends his illogical thinking under almost any sort of condemnation or reproach. The more illogical it is, usually the more hotly he defends it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,453 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:28 am
@salima,
Quote:
"Each person has his peculiar distortions of logic. Because of his distortions, whatever they are, he displays a more or less consistent pattern of distorted thinking, irrational conversation, and illogical conduct. If we question him, we learn that each example of distorted thinking is quite inflexible. If we criticize him, we discover that he considers his misguided conduct intelligent under the circumstances that stimulate him to indulge in it. If we challenge him, we find that he defends his illogical thinking under almost any sort of condemnation or reproach. The more illogical it is, usually the more hotly he defends it."

Great but one major element has been left out. The fact that if there were such a thing as intrinsic right, wouldn't it be consistent over every single culture even in places that are cut off from cultural exchanges? After all if it is a natural occurring trait of the human condition then by all means it should appear in all circles, but it doesn't. The honest underline truth here is that we are taught right, from childhood by society who has adopted what makes right. We have absolutely no idea what right really is, but instead accept it on the basis that others have decided to accept these things AS right.

Once you see it like this, what he wrote is obviously the case. Since when are you going to get a person who believes what they have been taught is wrong? You wouldn't because it undermines their very existence to do that.

It takes an outstanding individual to admit they're wrong.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:56 am
@salima,
it most certainly does take an outstanding individual to admit they are wrong.

but i do believe that if a person is removed from his culture and shown other options he may be able to realize that he has been taught wrong. and this theory is based on the idea that right is so absolute that it is applicable to all cultures and all times.

i know it sounds incredible, but if you think about it-suppose one culture were right in their customs and another was wrong, and it was the result of all the people having created a blindspot in their mind to convince themselves they were right...i mean that is what happens, isnt it? they would both believe they were right and be ready to go to war over it. it is definitely a result of wrong teaching, but each individual has applied a corrective warp in his mind to reflect certain reactions to teachings he observes and has experienced. this book has a theory of how that is done and how to undo it.

furthermore, he relates that it is not as previously supposed that illogical and defensive thinking comes from having been abused-because a child who was raised without abuse often also exhibits the same behavior. the issue is that these distortions occur when a person wants to do something that he already inherently believes to be wrong.

dont you know people who are reasonably intelligent and logical, but on one issue they are totally incoherent and absolutely convinced they are right? and no matter what you do they dont hear any opposite view or reason and only become more and more closed up to any mention of it. multiply that by the majority of the people in any group, culture, nation, etc...

but it sounds really plausible to me, and i hope someone else has read it or will read it and be able to give some feedback or criticism so that i may make a reality check. it doesnt do justice to it for me to try and explain it here in limited space, and it is written with a progression that is important. it is the theory itself and the methods that i am interested in, not the idea that there is or is not such a thing as absolute right. i dont think that can really be successfully debated, but if the system this guy has worked out can be used to discover it, that would be impressive.
0 Replies