major blooper by usa

salima

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 04:19 am
in a very incredibly stupid diplomatic mistake, SRK (Shah Rukh Khan) of Bollywood was detained and questioned for two hours at the Newark airport. he was not even allowed to make a phone call, because of his name....hahaha Khan, which is more common here in India than Smith or Jones put together in America, being on the list of people to watch out for.

my landlord's nephew is going to be attending school in the city where i lived in USA next month, he has his student visa and is very excited. i have already told him to expect to be disappointed by life in the west for various reasons, but never did i think of this one. wonder how long they will detain him at the airport? (yes, his name is also Khan) wonder if i will ever see or hear of him again?

i would imagine this is the first time in about 30 years that SRK has not been recognized-must have been a very humbling experience for him. i mean this man is a national icon, the number one movie star in India. way to go airport security...Laughing

---------- Post added 08-15-2009 at 03:59 PM ----------

and let us not forget that the former president (Mr. Abdul Kalam) of this union which is today celebrating its 61st year of independence...was frisked at Delhi International Airport on April 24 of this year. Interestingly enough though, it was personnel of Continental Airlines (who would have been Indian citizens, and it would be totally impossible NOT to recognize Mr Kalam, if you have ever seen his picture you will understand why) who made what has been termed 'a clear violation of protocol'. and guess where the very much loved and respected former president was headed? Newark.

i believe i will have to steer clear of newark on my trip this february-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,807 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:17 am
@salima,
Why does society continue to dehumanize people by calling them "icons" or "stars"?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 08:03 am
@salima,
salima;83407 wrote:
in a very incredibly stupid diplomatic mistake, SRK (Shah Rukh Khan) of Bollywood was detained and questioned for two hours at the Newark airport. he was not even allowed to make a phone call, because of his name....hahaha Khan, which is more common here in India than Smith or Jones put together in America, being on the list of people to watch out for.

my landlord's nephew is going to be attending school in the city where i lived in USA next month, he has his student visa and is very excited. i have already told him to expect to be disappointed by life in the west for various reasons, but never did i think of this one. wonder how long they will detain him at the airport? (yes, his name is also Khan) wonder if i will ever see or hear of him again?

i would imagine this is the first time in about 30 years that SRK has not been recognized-must have been a very humbling experience for him. i mean this man is a national icon, the number one movie star in India. way to go airport security...Laughing

---------- Post added 08-15-2009 at 03:59 PM ----------

and let us not forget that the former president (Mr. Abdul Kalam) of this union which is today celebrating its 61st year of independence...was frisked at Delhi International Airport on April 24 of this year. Interestingly enough though, it was personnel of Continental Airlines (who would have been Indian citizens, and it would be totally impossible NOT to recognize Mr Kalam, if you have ever seen his picture you will understand why) who made what has been termed 'a clear violation of protocol'. and guess where the very much loved and respected former president was headed? Newark.

i believe i will have to steer clear of newark on my trip this february-

Could you please explain to me why this is not a tempest in a teapot? The officials made a mistake, for good reasons, it seems. It was inconvenient. But why does it have any further ramifications? I am sure that the officials at Newark will be very careful not to let this happen again, so that the likelihood of your being the victim of the same error is nil.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:17 am
@kennethamy,
What were those good reasons again?

He has dark skin and a foreign name?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:24 am
@salima,
Well a guy got shot in the UK because he was wearing a backpack and had dark skin, (he was Brazilian), I don't think it was a question of being racist, I think it was a question of being over paranoid and nervous.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;87634 wrote:
Could you please explain to me why this is not a tempest in a teapot? The officials made a mistake, for good reasons, it seems. It was inconvenient. But why does it have any further ramifications? I am sure that the officials at Newark will be very careful not to let this happen again, so that the likelihood of your being the victim of the same error is nil.

"the officials"

You mean the racist pigs who got hired on to do airport security after they dropped out of elementary school?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:27 am
@salima,
It goes on everywhere but when it happens to a star suddenly everyone cares!
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:46 am
@salima,
Yep. Someone in my family is on the terrorist watch list, believe it or not (no, he's not a terrorist, along with the thousands of others on that list).

Every time he has to leave or enter the US again for business, he has to deal with the whole process of being detained, having his luggage searched, questioned, laptop investigated, etc.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;87605 wrote:
Why does society continue to dehumanize people by calling them "icons" or "stars"?

in india these people are super-humanized, they have this VIP handup. and as a consequence, all VIP's expect to be treated as exceptions and outside the rules...and in india, they are.

in america, al gore has to go through the same line as me at the airport. i have no squabble with that and neither did he. but i dont think he would be put aside if his name showed up on a terrorist list...really now, do you?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:01 am
@salima,
salima;87686 wrote:
in india these people are super-humanized, they have this VIP handup. and as a consequence, all VIP's expect to be treated as exceptions and outside the rules...and in india, they are.

in america, al gore has to go through the same line as me at the airport. i have no squabble with that and neither did he. but i dont think he would be put aside if his name showed up on a terrorist list...really now, do you?

I think that if someone's name is on a terror list, that person should be detained. Yes, I do. In fact, if he were not detained, then those responsible should be fired-at the very least. It may be in India actors are not subject to the rules. I hope that is not true in the United States.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
@salima,
Let me be the first to get this out of the way and scream in my best James T Kirk, "KKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHN!"
salima

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;87702 wrote:
Let me be the first to get this out of the way and scream in my best James T Kirk, "KKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHN!"

Laughing that was ricardo montalban, right? i was in love with him...
until worf came along and stole my heart...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@salima,
kennethamy;87698 wrote:
I think that if someone's name is on a terror list, that person should be detained. Yes, I do. In fact, if he were not detained, then those responsible should be fired-at the very least. It may be in India actors are not subject to the rules. I hope that is not true in the United States.

There is also the issue of who is on that list - as has been said, Kahn is an extremely common Indian name; to put that surname on the terror list is to put a large portion of India on that list. At what point does this become arbitrary and absurdly ineffective? At what point do we realize that the terror list is, by and large, an ineffective feel-good policy and a complete waste of time and effort? Of public funds? Of national credibility?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;87715 wrote:
There is also the issue of who is on that list - as has been said, Kahn is an extremely common Indian name; to put that surname on the terror list is to put a large portion of India on that list. At what point does this become arbitrary and absurdly ineffective? At what point do we realize that the terror list is, by and large, an ineffective feel-good policy and a complete waste of time and effort? Of public funds? Of national credibility?

But that is a different issue. The officials at the airport made no "stupid mistake". They followed instructions. And that is fine with me. I don't know about the instructions, and neither, I bet do you. It seems to me that his actor is too full of himself. He should relax. This kind of thing (old ladies taking off their shoes) happens nowadays. We had a little incident here in the United States on 9/11/91. You may remember.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm
@salima,
actually it is spelled K-H-A-N, as in genghis.

---------- Post added 09-03-2009 at 06:02 AM ----------

kennethamy;87758 wrote:
But that is a different issue. The officials at the airport made no "stupid mistake". They followed instructions. And that is fine with me. I don't know about the instructions, and neither, I bet do you. It seems to me that his actor is too full of himself. He should relax. This kind of thing (old ladies taking off their shoes) happens nowadays. We had a little incident here in the United States on 9/11/91. You may remember.

right, the stupid mistakes are made by people a lot higher up.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:07 pm
@salima,
salima;87768 wrote:
actually it is spelled K-H-A-N, as in genghis.

---------- Post added 09-03-2009 at 06:02 AM ----------

right, the stupid mistakes are made by people a lot higher up.

Well, I still don't believe it is a stupid mistake. I don't think we know enough about security precautions to say that. But I do think that this actor thinks a lot of himself. More than he should.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;87758 wrote:
But that is a different issue. The officials at the airport made no "stupid mistake".

Perhaps not in this case, but I have seen them make stupid mistakes first hand. Detaining harmless people - American citizens, because of skin color. No need to post specifics. That should suffice.

kennethamy;87758 wrote:
I don't know about the instructions, and neither, I bet do you.

I think in the case of Khan it's pretty clear - a person's name is on the list, so they detain the person.

kennethamy;87758 wrote:
It seems to me that his actor is too full of himself. He should relax.

I'm sure he is, too, but how does this justify the policy?

kennethamy;87758 wrote:
This kind of thing (old ladies taking off their shoes) happens nowadays. We had a little incident here in the United States on 9/11/91. You may remember.

Sure, it happens - but that's exactly the problem.

Yeah, I remember 9/11. And it wasn't 1991, either. But going back again and again to that date in no way justifies the extent of "anti-terror" policy. Have we blocked out all memory of American terrorism? If we want to fight terror, perhaps we should target the largest executioner of terrorism - the US.

The US lost a few thousand souls on 9/11, and that is a terrible tragedy. But SouthEast Asia lost a few million when American pilots rained down napalm on helpless villagers, searing the flesh off of women, children, and elderly. Before we point fingers, perhaps we should take care of our own mistakes.

kennethamy;87798 wrote:
Well, I still don't believe it is a stupid mistake. I don't think we know enough about security precautions to say that. But I do think that this actor thinks a lot of himself. More than he should.

You do not know enough about security to see a problem with placing a significant portion of the entire nation of India on the terrorist watch list?
rhinogrey

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 11:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;87798 wrote:

Why are you so willing to rush to the defense of any body that has been imbued with any sort of "authority"?

Oh, they are "officials" with "authority," they would never do anything unethical or stupid, right?

Always do as you're told.

Kindergarten dismissed.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 03:13 pm
@salima,
People are very nervous after the Twin Towers and Pentagon attacks, not surprisingly so, thousands of innocent people died, some died saving others, don't forget those who took on the terrorists and took back the plane, these were innocent people, heroes. I'm not saying that everyone who looks different should be treated like a terrorist but to go through security checks is necessary, the fact that it looks like it's racist is not what is actually going on, families lost their loved ones, I would be nervous wouldn't you.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 03:18 pm
@salima,
No, I wouldn't.

Spreading an Official, institutionalized climate of fear and paranoia is not helping the situation at all.

The Mass Media thrives on it, which in turn bolsters the interests of the Federal power.

People can't recognize Big Brother until it's too late.

You are not free, and your freedom will only continue to diminish, until you step up and choose to recognize your bondage.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » major blooper by usa
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:40:43