Winter has hit my garden

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:40 pm
I shouldn't complain -- after all it is the end of November. But as of this morning, winter officially arrived in my garden. The last of the annuals (geraniums, black eyed susans and begonias) were finally hit by frost over night. So sad. We had a couple of light frosts before, but those had survived quite nicely. Even with the small amount of snow we had on Wednesday, they still survived. But this morning the temp was down to about 24, there was a little ice in the corner of the pond, and I guess it was just a bit too much for the survivors.

Oh well, I did get a seed catalog in the mail this week. Guess it's time to start planning for the spring.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mikey

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:51 pm
Winter cruised in here about 2 weeks ago. Killed everything off that was alive in my garden. Must be due to the mild winter they forecast for us in the northeast I guess.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:55 pm
I'm hoping this is it for winter (I believe it's called wishful thinking). I know last year I didn't plant bulbs till November cause we never really had a frost. Then it got warm enough for the bulbs to start coming up in December. If this winter is supposed to be mild, I can only imagine what will start blooming come March.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:20 pm
Wishful thinking is my guess. The leaves on the trees here were so dry and brittle from the heat in August they would crumble in your hand. They didn't fall here til a week ago. I can't figure this year out.
I planted my garlic this morning tho.
0 Replies