A good Digital Camera...

MissBee

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:10 pm
Although there is a similar topic in this thread, I decided to open a new one. I have been thinking about buying a 3pixel digital camera. There is only a certain amount of money that I am planning to spend on it, so the choice is a bit limited. The main things I want from my camera are:

- good pictures (prints) - you know contrast, light and all that
- that it isn't too slow (I hate it when you press the button and it takes seconds before the pic is actually taken)
- optical zoom - has to have it
- ...???...

The cameras I have been looking into are Sony DSC72 and DSC8 - not sure about the difference, except in price. Maybe Panasonic LC33 or 43. I've also considered Samsung Digimax V3, but I can't find it. They only sell Samsung Digimax 3500 at Best Buy (the same thing, but the lense isn't nearly as good).
Any comments or experiences with these or other cameras?
I noticed that Canon A70 is also very popular, but a friend of mine says it's pretty slow when you take pics...

P.S. Are battery chargers usually included? And how do you charge your batteries if you travel overseas where the plug won't fit?
Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,645 • Replies: 8
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:18 pm
Ms Bee
I just bought an A70 for the Mrs - an addition to the Olympus that I own for the dollar value\function, along with ease of use. I've taken about 30 pics so far and I'm very pleased. I think the speed is ok - you think your going to get SLR speed, that won't happen until you spend the $1,000 and up.

I honestly don't think the majority of people need a camera larger than a 3.3 mp camera.

Also with the canon - you can get a 3 minute .mov(movie) at 640x480 if you have the storage, that's the other reason I bought this camera.
Last reason is it's small, sleek, and compact - fits in my shirt pocket.

I bought my via Costco mailorder because of there return policy that is second to none, in case I had reservations - none so far.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:21 pm
I bought these extras about 45 minutes ago off ebay
Tele Conversion Lens model: TC-DC52
Conversion Lens Adapter model: LA-DC52C
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:23 pm
I had been looking at Digital cameras a few months ago and settled on two that I really liked. The Olympus C-4000 and the Minolta DiMAGE S414.

Both are 4 megapixel cameras with both optical and digital zoom. You can get the Minolta for right about the same price as either the Canon A70 or the Sony DSC-P72 (which are both 3.2 Megapixel cameras) and get the higher resolution at the same time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:26 pm
You should look at the water(proof?) Olympus Epic Stylus digital at 4.2MP. Under $400, really nice. I have an older Olympus digital and I'll admit it is slow. Hard to shoot action with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:57 pm
love love love my Sony digicam.
did i mention i love my Sony?
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:40 pm
I bought a used Nikon 4300 last month and I love it.
It takes excellent macros.I'm mostly interesed in gardening.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:46 pm
My brother bought a Canon A70, took it to Italy on vacation and is thrilled with it.
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:47 pm
Consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43. It won a comparison test in a digicam magazine due to excellent image quality and quick picture taking. It costs around $350 and boasts 4.0 Megapixels. It has a 3x optical and 3.2x digital zoom. It uses the Secure Digital (SD) memory cards and allows you to take movie clips w/ sound for as long as you have memory space available (320x240 pixels, Quicktime format). I own it and I love it to pieces.
0 Replies