Folk Music

salima

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 09:35 am
@Elmud,
if you are into foreign folk music, portuguese fado is one of my favorites.

but the most outstanding music which maybe could fit into the category of folk, if not then international, is nusrat fateh ali khan. i also prefer not to hear the lyrics in english, the song is more meaningful to me. any time i have read their translation i have been disappointed. the singer can convey more feeling than any words can describe if he is really good. or maybe it is only a case of certain people being able to hear more out of the voice itself than the words.

i was also a fan of bluegrass in the old days...greek music...african music, a la miriam makeba...and believe it or not i liked bagpipes, and i dont mean something like 'amazing grace', i mean the real thing.

then of course we have indian music-the classical, the traditional, the dances...folk music will never die as long as people have any culture left to remember.

where do you fit black gospel music? the staple singers, the sensational nightingales,

and i almost forgot, zydeco! clifton chenier, i saw him once on austin city limits, he was great...

now i gotta go listen to woodstock again...richie havens is still around by the way, he is a really cool old man now...
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 09:42 am
@Elmud,
Laura veirs is a great folk band. Okey, I don't really know if they're folk, but the music is good.:shifty:
YouTube - Laura Veirs - Wrecking
xris

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 01:14 pm
@Lily,
Is it me or are you Scandinavians on another planet.Wots a man in a cat suit doing in cafe while a singer sings about anything that comes into her head?There is a defined cultural difference emerging here.Was it magic mushroom season?
Lily

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:07 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Is it me or are you Scandinavians on another planet.Wots a man in a cat suit doing in cafe while a singer sings about anything that comes into her head?There is a defined cultural difference emerging here.Was it magic mushroom season?

No, we drank absolut vodka:drinking:. Just kidding. The band is from USA. This was the video that came second in a "best musicvideo to one of the songs on the cd"-contest. I don't get it either. Don't blame it Scandinavia:sarcastic:.
This was the video that won
YouTube - Laura Veirs - Phantom Mountain
xris

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:28 am
@Lily,
Sorry about that lily,i thought it was long boring nights with not much to do kind of music.xris
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;60077 wrote:
Don't hear much on folk music these days. When I think of folk music, I remember people like Woodie Guthrie, who wrote and sang songs about the plight of the immigrant farm workers during the depression years. His son, Arlo, was also a folk musician. I remember also Bob Dylan in his early years. He wrote "blowin in the wind". Good song. I liked Peter, Paul and Mary's rendition of that one. Gordon Lightfoot was of that era. He wrote and performed songs like, "If you could read my mind", Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, Cotton Genny, Softly she comes, you're as fine as fine can be, on and on. hundreds of songs. He is my favorite. He only sang songs he wrote. Many other artists sang his songs. Early mornin rain was one. How about ole Joan Baez? Remember her from the woodstock days? I liked her songs. Janis Ian was another. All these artists and many more from the folk community wrote and sang songs of social importance. They sang about the vital issues of their times. Anyone remember Richie Havens? I could go on and on. I'd like to see this tradition continued by the young artists of these times. Are there any contemporary folk artists ? Hope this tradition doesn't pass on into history. Surely there are some talented lyricists out there who write songs about the issues of our day.

I'm catching up on the music threads at PF. Really enjoyed some of the songs in this one -- ah, well I remember our old "folky" generation.

As for the modern scene, here's a socially conscious U.S. fellow a young person on a Youtube comment board recommended. He's not pure acoustic folk, but he seems relevant for today. From what I've read, he's sincere, deeply serious about the problems of the world, and undertakes real actions beyond songwriting and performing.

So what do you guys think of Michael Franti?

(I'll try really hard this time not to mess up the youtube link, still learning, will check after this message posts, thanks for your patience.)

rebecca
0 Replies