The Lion Sleeps Tonight

William

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 02:44 pm
This is one of those "one hit wonders" performed by the tokens. It is one of my favorites. Plug in your ear phones and hear this compilation of sounds to make a true classic. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0iw89L6aFo&feature=related

William
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,807 • Replies: 16
No top replies

salima

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:48 am
@William,
oh, william-i am surprised at you! don't you remember the Weavers?
how funny, i cant remember the lead singer's name, the banjo player, so i was trying to find out on google and found the history of the song-really interesting!
take a look:3rd Ear Music Forum - Where does the lion sleep tonight?

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

wow-what a long article. part two has a photo of pete seeger, the man whose name i forgot, taken in 1969....ahhh, woodstock!
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:08 pm
@William,
How are you "surprised" at me?
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:27 pm
@William,
you must be younger than i thought if you would remember back to the tokens and not the weavers! maybe i should be surprised at myself, practically remembering back to the days before television...i remember the first television in our house, an rca with a screen about as big as a photograph. didnt matter, there was only a few hours of programming in the evenings anyway. good lord, kukla, fran and ollie...

my childhood memories of music (outside of my mother playing the piano that is) are of frankie laine singing 'i believe' and johnny ray 'the little white cloud that cried'. gee, there was perry como, dean martin, harry belafonte...

and i remember the first rock and roll song that caught my attention-searching, by the coasters-i heard it on the radio before i went to a girls' camp for the summer-it shot all the way to number one, and when i returned six weeks later it was STILL number one. from then on, mom and dad and me parted ways in music appreciation.
William

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:37 pm
@salima,
salima;71915 wrote:
you must be younger than i thought if you would remember back to the tokens and not the weavers! maybe i should be surprised at myself, practically remembering back to the days before television...i remember the first television in our house, an rca with a screen about as big as a photograph. didnt matter, there was only a few hours of programming in the evenings anyway. good lord, kukla, fran and ollie...

my childhood memories of music (outside of my mother playing the piano that is) are of frankie laine singing 'i believe' and johnny ray 'the little white cloud that cried'. gee, there was perry como, dean martin, harry belafonte...

and i remember the first rock and roll song that caught my attention-searching, by the coasters-i heard it on the radio before i went to a girls' camp for the summer-it shot all the way to number one, and when i returned six weeks later it was STILL number one. from then on, mom and dad and me parted ways in music appreciation.

I'm almost 61. I have ofter referred to the universe as God's symphony and it is thrilling to hear the harmony of sounds that touch the very soul of our existence. This was one of them and I have more. Here's another one:
YouTube - Adiemus

William

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

YouTube - Simba's Windsong - Mighty Joe Young music

Here's another.
William

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

It's all about rhythm, harmnony, resonance, interaction, cooperation, unity to create a beautiful effect. Here's another, a slight variation of the first three with human interaction.

YouTube - Best of Riverdance Compilation

William
richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:34 pm
@William,
Pete Seeger singing the tenor part of Wimoweh (Lion Sleeps Tonight). You can skip to 1:35 to hear the song:

YouTube - Weavers (Re-union) - Wimoweh

Ladysmith Black does a version also. Sad story about the lead singer of this South African Group who sang with Paul Simon:

YouTube - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Wimoweh) - Ladysmith Black Mambazo and The Mint Juleps

Rich
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:59 am
@William,
some day when ratlam catches up with the big cities i may be able to see youtubes! if i want to hear them i have to let them run through to the end, then reverse and restart-or download and save for later. but a three or four minute video could take me fifteen minutes to get to the end. i downloaded a nice collection of things, but have so much more to go. i dont know when i will get back to that since i am involved here now and also have things to get ready for the exciting conversion to linux, which is hopefully coming maybe in january.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:22 am
@William,
Salima and Rich,
Thank you so very much for "educating me". The original clip I submitted was my favorite, not realizing how many have offered their own "renditions". To be honest Salima, I have never heard of he "Weavers" before and was amazed at the video Rich brought. Wow! Thank you both again. Were the "Weaver's" the first to record prior to the "Tokens" understanding the origin to be in Africa. I would love to hear the original.

William

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Here's another with just human music, a capella.

YouTube - the lion sleeps tonight a capella

William

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

This one might be closer to the original. Wow! I had no idea. I am enjoying this.

YouTube - Soweto Gospel Choir - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

William
richrf

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:54 am
@William,
Hi William,

The Weavers were certainly the first to popularize this African folk song here in the U.S. I do not know the full history so I do not know about prior recordings.

Rich
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:14 am
@William,
Solomon Linda: "Mbube" by Solomon Linda's Original Evening Birds was released originally as Singer GB.829 in 1939. It's available on the excellent compilation Mbube Roots - Zulu Choral Music from South Africa, 1930s-1960s (Rounder 5025). The record was a huge hit in South Africa, and stayed in the catalog for at least 15 years, during which time the label's name changed from Singer to Singer-Gallotone, then to Gallotone-Singer, and finally to simply Gallotone. It shows up on all four labels One copy located is from so late in the record's catalog tenure that thehttp://bobshannon.com/stories/images/solomon2.jpg original metal parts had been exhausted, and an alternate take was used in its place; there are three takes of "Mbube" on 78. This alternate is of considerable interest, since it proves that the falsetto vocal part near the end of the record (which provided the melody for the verse of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight") was a chance improvisation by Linda, not a part of the song itself. The other alternate take of the tune does not have any similar part, but has instead some other vocal effects that the familiar take lacks. Take three was reissued on Yazoo 7010, SMM Vol. 4 (also accapella; Linda's choice of style). "Mbube" was covered by several other African groups, including the Manhattan Brothers (a minor local hit) and others. Linda's group made many other records, but this one from the beginning of their recording career was by far their biggest seller, and in fact gave name to the singing style in which the song was performed--Mbube. The first appearance of Solomon Linda's original "Mbube" in the United States comes about 1954, when Tony Schwartz used an excerpt of it on N.Y. 19 (Folkways FP 58).

i always loved african choral singing. the original recording is still available here and there. havent found it like on a youtube. here's another link with information on how to buy:T.O. Music Pix: Solomon Linda & Wimoweh
the photos and information in these articles is priceless.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

bingo! fridayfishwrap.com Blog Archive In The Jungle, The Mighty Jungle

hope it works, i am downloading it now-13% complete....

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!i am really glad you brought this up, william!
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:22 pm
@William,
Wimoweh is a great song, but I've always kind of wondered... Verse lyrics like "hush... the lion sleeps tonight" are always followed by the very loud chorus "WEEEEEEEEE OOOOO WEEEEE OOOOO....". Would not this possibly awaken the lion?

rebecca
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:45 pm
@William,
Hello Rebecca and welcome to the forum. Interesting comment. I love stuff like this. I think it can be interpreted the song is more of a jubilation stemming from a mutual serenity coming from the peace in the village not threatening the lion and therefore not alarming him or his arousal. When the village is peaceful, so is the lion. A mutual non-threatening existence on the part of both. :bigsmile:

William
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:08 pm
@William,
Becky, I think you have a point. So soft we sing the verse. So mellow and soft we sing the verse. So deeply sleeps the lion in the jungle. All is peaceful. All is Calm.

Then suddenly... A SIREN SCREAM AT DOUBLE HIGH PITCH! THE LION'S ALARM CLOCK IS SOUNDING, AND IT IS SOME IDIOT IN THE VILLAGE SOUNDING IT! SOMEONE CUT THAT GUY'S THROAT AND FEED HIM TO THE LIONS!

Then mellow again the next verse softly sung. The idiot is dead, sleep now my little lion. Good lion. Sleepy-bye. Soft we sing to the calm, quiet night. Soft we drift to sleep little lion. So very soft and...

UUU-WEEEE-E-EE-EE-EE-EEE UM-UM-AWAY! GOD BLAST IT! WE FORGOT THE IDIOT'S BROTHER! SOMEONE SHUT UP THE IDIOT'S BROTHER! NICE LITTLE LION!

Samm
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:35 pm
@William,
Ha, yeah, it could be interpreted that way; but then why issue the "not be afraid"? Unless she was remembering what she has witnessed what the lion is capable of. She is afraid, thinking the lion would create the disturbance in the village. The village is singing the song. Regardless of the refrain, it is known by all of the other villagers their peace and serenity is no threat to the lion. She just needs to know that.

It can be assumed the village does not hunt the lion, therefore the village has nothing to fear in that man is the lions only enemy and it was man who drew first blood. She is afraid and yet, has nothing to be afraid of, even the lion, for the village is a peaceful village.

A lions only natural enemy is another lion. Just as the villagers, their only enemy is other alien villagers preying on them.

William
melonkali

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
@William,
William;102401 wrote:
Ha, yeah, it could be interpreted that way; but then why issue the "not be afraid"? Unless she was remembering what she has witnessed what the lion is capable of. She is afraid, thinking the lion would create the disturbance in the village. The village is singing the song. Regardless of the refrain, it is known by all of the other villagers their peace and serenity is no threat to the lion. She just needs to know that.

It can be assumed the village does not hunt the lion, therefore the village has nothing to fear in that man is the lions only enemy and it was man who drew first blood. She is afraid and yet, has nothing to be afraid of, even the lion, for the village is a peaceful village.

A lions only natural enemy is another lion. Just as the villagers, their only enemy is other alien villagers preying on them.

William

Very nicely said.

As for my earlier comment about Wimoweh, I do have a tendency, which will become increasingly evident if I survive very long at PF, towards absurd, silly, sometimes annoying observations.

So, William (or anyone else), let's see if you can change this next one into something beautiful and meaningful:

I have a problem with Frankie Valli's singing, in that high falsetto, "Walk like a man. Talk like a man." To refresh the memory, below is the Youtube link to the original song. I noticed on the Youtube comment board under the video, someone posted, "Walk like a man. Sing like a girl."

rebecca
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 08:48 pm
@William,
Ha, you would have to pick that "particular song". The remark you mentioned was cruel. Look at Wayne Newton, for instance.

I know the falsetto in his voice does belie the overall nature of the song and can be interpreted, by some, as not exactly "manly". If this is what you are referring to, I think you can forget it. Valli had and I think still has, though his age is not quite known, amazing voice control and was capable of reaching high and low notes. As far as the lyrics, I agree with them, absolutely. There are many matches "not" made in heaven, as it were and Valli I suppose has had his fair share as most in the limelight do. It's difficult to know who your friends truly are as they are surrounded by so many sycophants. Valli has had three marriages and the last one has lasted for 23 years. He also has had tragedy in his life.

It is difficult to understand how writers arrive at the lyrics they do and many times effort to hide the real reason why that are as they are. Usually there is a person in the personal life in which they are directed and they know who they are. Obviously this was directed at some one who hurt him deeply. Here are the lyrics, if anyone has a problem discerning them from the song:

Oh how you tried to cut me down to size
Telling dirty lies to my friends
But my own father said give her up don't bother
The world isn't coming to an end

(he said just) Walk like a man
Talk like a man
Walk like a man my son
No woman's worth
Crawling on the earth
Just walk like a man my son

Good-bye baby I dont mean maybe
I'm gonna get along somehow
Soon you'll be cryin on account of all your lyin
Oh yeah just look who's laughing now

(I'm gonna) walk like a man
Fast as I can
Walk like a man from you
I'll tell the world to forget about it girl
And walk like a man from you

My Dad told me early on when I experienced a "love lost" experience, "....there were more out there, better and true. Don't give up and one day it will happen. Just don't go looking for it".

William
melonkali

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:42 am
@William,
William;102540 wrote:
Ha, you would have to pick that "particular song". The remark you mentioned was cruel. Look at Wayne Newton, for instance.

I know the falsetto in his voice does belie the overall nature of the song and can be interpreted, by some, as not exactly "manly". If this is what you are referring to, I think you can forget it. Valli had and I think still has, though his age is not quite known, amazing voice control and was capable of reaching high and low notes. As far as the lyrics, I agree with them, absolutely. There are many matches "not" made in heaven, as it were and Valli I suppose has had his fair share as most in the limelight do. It's difficult to know who your friends truly are as they are surrounded by so many sycophants. Valli has had three marriages and the last one has lasted for 23 years. He also has had tragedy in his life.

It is difficult to understand how writers arrive at the lyrics they do and many times effort to hide the real reason why that are as they are. Usually there is a person in the personal life in which they are directed and they know who they are. Obviously this was directed at some one who hurt him deeply. Here are the lyrics, if anyone has a problem discerning them from the song:

Oh how you tried to cut me down to size
Telling dirty lies to my friends
But my own father said give her up don't bother
The world isn't coming to an end

(he said just) Walk like a man
Talk like a man
Walk like a man my son
No woman's worth
Crawling on the earth
Just walk like a man my son

Good-bye baby I dont mean maybe
I'm gonna get along somehow
Soon you'll be cryin on account of all your lyin
Oh yeah just look who's laughing now

(I'm gonna) walk like a man
Fast as I can
Walk like a man from you
I'll tell the world to forget about it girl
And walk like a man from you

My Dad told me early on when I experienced a "love lost" experience, "....there were more out there, better and true. Don't give up and one day it will happen. Just don't go looking for it".

William

I concede! You're very, very good at this, William.

And I must confess, I find the modern male pop/rock style falsetto preferable to the modern male attempts at singing in the formal or classical high countertenor style. No ethical person would suggest going back to a barbaric castrato tradition, but let's face it, modern medicine has not yet discovered an artificial hormone that can make the fully developed male vocal apparatus turn back into a boy alto/soprano sound. These guys end up sounding like bad Monty Python routines. So maybe high countertenor parts are best sung by real boy altos/sopranos, or women with light voices, or give the pop/rock falsetto style a try?

rebecca
0 Replies