Eddie Kendricks
Rick James
Junior Walker and the All-Stars
Dazz Band
Book of Love
Ataris
Apollo 44
Aero Smith

This is only a small sample of my music tastes.
Theaetetus

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:56 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
I had never really gotten into them before this album. I had listened to their stuff and it never really was my cup of tea. I found the electronic freak-out experimentation pretty off-putting.

I think you are right that they toned down the experimentation, and I think that is the key, because the songwriting really shows through. The album is simply filled with excellent moments. I heard the looping vocals on Guy's Eyes and the back and forth of Brother Sport and I was hooked.

Because I am a huge fan of experimental music, I have always wanted to like Animal Collective due to their experimental nature and thought provoking lyrics. My introduction to them was two songs off of Feels "Did You See the World" and "The Purple Bottle." I expected the rest of their music to be like those two songs, but instead the only songs that were ever memorable--but not in a good way--were the songs that contained Avey Tare's annoying bouts of screaming, screeching, and yelping--often off key. I just felt that the band--especially Avey Tare--tried to be annoying intentionally. There is a difference between experimenting musically and being down right annoying.

Then the band released Strawberry Jam. While the album still has its moments of irritation, they finally learned to limit them. They finally focused more on the songs than their brand of experimentation. Merriweather eliminates them fully, but still retains the key essence to what the band has done over their nine albums. The melody for "Bluish" is always in my head. In fact, I began writing a song about a week ago that the melody seemed to come way too naturally. Then I listened to "Bluish" on the way to class the next morning and realized that it was nearly the identical melody, but a different key.

Anyway, for those that have no clue who the Animal Collective is, or only remember them as one of the most annoying bands ever, then here is their most accessible song ever, "My Girls", off of Merriweather Post Pavilion. Be sure to watch the High Definition version if you can.

YouTube - Animal Collective - My Girls
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:28 am
@OntheWindowStand,
0 Replies

Dcb18c5

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@OntheWindowStand,
The Killers, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Nirvana, Dave Matthews Band, most of all hip-hop, some tehcno, and very little country
Kolbe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:27 pm
@Dcb18c5,
Taste varies according to mood, but at the moment Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, Declan Bennett, Streetlight Manifesto, ReelBigFish and Save Ferris (namely the Come on Eileen cover) are in the most played section.
Elmud

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:40 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
OntheWindowStand wrote:
I like linkin park, disturbed as well classical music of most kinds( I know diverse right lol) And on a side note I despise Rap with every fiber of my being

I'm old so, I like old music. The Eagles, who sound as good now as they ever did. I liked the Beatles. But, I was more into folk music as a young man. People like Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Janis Ian.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:58 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe;49530 wrote:
Taste varies according to mood, but at the moment Jack Johnson...
Just discovered him the other day, I really like a few of his songs.

The best new discoveries I've made lately are Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes, they seem like the most lauded indie bands of 2008.

I'm psyched that Toubab Krewe is playing here next month, I'm going to try and go.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:37 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
I like both Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes quite a bit. M. Ward has been something I have been listening to a lot lately since his new album Hold Time just came out a couple weeks ago. While it is not as good as his last album Post War, it is still some fine folk rock. I am also digging the new Neko Case album Middle Cyclone.

YouTube - M. Ward - Hold Time

YouTube - 'People Got a Lotta Nerve' by Neko Case on Q TV
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:40 am
@OntheWindowStand,
I am also getting into Bonnie "Prince" Billy. It just seems the older I get, the more I get into folk rock.

YouTube - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy "Cursed Sleep"
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:35 am
@Theaetetus,
1) Grotesque by The Fall - HE TALKS OF CHILE WHILE DRIVING THROUGH HASLINGDON. Sez Smiffy on the subject of white rastas - which makes a lot of sense. He follows it up with HE'S DONE 60 HOUR WEEKS IN STONE TOILET BACK GARDENS which makes none.

2) The Oliver Twist Manifesto by Luke Haines. For YBA baiting tune "The Death of Sarah Lucas" and the indisputable truth of the line "Kim Wilde is sex!" in Discomania. Also Discomania is a glam rock classic about the same shared-consciousness twin jamaican/welsh girls of the Manic Street Preachers tune Tsunami - but better because the Manics fail to mention Kim Wilde.

3) Jehovahkill by Julian Cope. Mainly for Krautrock classic "Upwards at 45 Degrees" which is about the direction it would point if the Long Man of Wilmington became aroused.

4) Pink Flag by Wire, because 45 second songs are cool.

5) Keynsham by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. This is mostly for the trailblazing "it's OK to be gay" tune "We were Wrong", written in the 60s no less and featuring the duet:
Vivian: That boozy English Day at the Brighton race courses.
Roger: The wind blew my skirt up.
Vivian: And it frightened the horses.

6) Dry by P J Harvey. Who is actually my guitar hero. I like the riffing on Sheela Na Gig in particular, and the "it's hard to walk and the dress is not easy - I'm spilling over like a heavy-laden fruit tree" couplet in Dress. Plants and Rags is ace too.

7) Tunes for Baroque Hurdy Gurdy by some people I forget.

8) In C by Terry Reilly. This is a piece of classical minimalism in which a number of bars are music are written in the same key and time signature. They can then be played for any length of time by any instrument so that every performance is different. If you listen to a good performance it's really eerie and beautiful.

9) The first Velvet Underground album apart from the songs Nico ruins.

10) Scott 2 by Scott Walker. For Jackie and Girls from the Streets.

11) After Murder Park by the Auteurs. Mostly for Unsolved Child Murder (a highly unusual attempt at a Christmas hit record) and pre-science slow crooner Fear of Flying.

12) The Las.

13) Blue Bell Knoll by the Cocteau Twins. Cause Liz Fraser sings like a waterfall on the edge of hysterics. Mainly for the line "Szcheeefaalladaaaa,hssssss,tostikkkahma-hah-ha-ha" in Carolyn's Fingers.

14) Rum, Sodomy and the Lash by the Pogues.

15) The Decline of British Sea Power - for the kelp reference in Carrion.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:42 pm
@Icon,
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
Billy F Idol
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 03:23 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
Interesting, Wish You Were Here was always my favorite too, but of late I have taken a deep liking to Animals.

Pink Floyd is by far my favorite band. Maybe that's due to all the drugs I did in High School... Wait, did I say that out loud?

I liked Radio Chaos-Roger Waters
Phronimos

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:24 am
@Caroline,
I like tons of music from many eclectic genres (country is close to the only one I'll pretty just outright refuse to listen to...folk music comes close too). Here is a limited list to give some idea:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Duke Ellington
Charlie Parker (I'll stop here, even though it feels like a crime to not go on)
Van Halen
System of a Down
Korn
Rage Against the Machine
Metallica (Black album and pre-black, hate most of the rest)
Guns n Roses
Nightwish
2Pac
biggie
Ice Cube
Kanye West
James Brown
Parliament/Funkadelic
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Barry White
Earth Wind & Fire
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Hendrix
Frank Sinatra
Michael Jackson (i know, i know)
Led Zepplin
Coldplay

I also like classical music and trance.
0 Replies

paisleypea

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 08:02 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
It makes me happy to see some Andrew Bird fans here!
Bird creates happiness in my soul Smile
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 12:13 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow is a real nice album.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:32 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
I saw this great band play last night with Cloud Cult here in town.

YouTube - Margot & The Nuclear So and So's - "Quiet As A Mouse"
0 Replies

Jose phil

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:03 am
@OntheWindowStand,
I like a good orchestra.
0 Replies

Antoine Roquenti

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:39 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Radiohead
Brian Eno
Scott Walker
Boom Bip
Lee Perry
Yasume
Four Tet
Alva Noto
Erik Satie
Air
Hot Chip
Burial
J.J. Cale
Johnny Cash
Thom Yorke
Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat
Bruce Haack
Kruder & Dorfmeister
The Doors
Gudrun Gut
John Holt
Scientist
Jacqueline Taieb

+ much more
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
System of a Down, Dog Fashion Disco, OTEP, Asheru, A Day To Remember, Datsik, Commoners and Kings, and whatever Recon's insane music is called.
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Wow, great thread. Many "old friends" here, a few new ones. But I couldn't believe -- I ran a "search" on every page to be sure I hadn't overlooked it -- no one's mentioned "Wishbone Ash"??

Amazing twin guitars (about the same time as the Allman Bros in the U.S.); a killer bass player who sometimes turned his bass into a third lead guitar; strong, tight vocals; timeless songs, even more meaningful now, 38 years later.

From Wishbone Ash's 1972 "Argus" album -- links below
1) Throw Down the Sword
"There were times when I stood at death's own door, only hoping for an answer."
2) Warrior
"Tomorrow, the plow becomes the sword..."

On the album, Warrior bleeds into Sword, but I've placed Sword first since it was their most popular song.

YouTube - Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword

YouTube - Wishbone Ash - Warrior