What bands do you like??

Psychonaut

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:28 am
@Holiday20310401,
Sublime, Gorillaz, Beatles, Coldplay.
I'll listen to anything though. *cough* except country *cough*
Techno can be pretty sick too. Are we aloud to post links? i have a playlist on my myspace if anybody is interested.... probably not...

Laughing
Vasska

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm
@Psychonaut,
Maybeshewill (features snippets of the 1970 movie Network)
Antennas to Heaven
Meanwhile Back in communist Russia
God is an Astronaut
The National
The Gothic Archies (Lemony Snickets *sort of band*)
Zeigeist
Sia

Guess nobody knows them, except for The National and Sia.
Anyhow, my last.fm profile for those interested enough/
Theaetetus

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:06 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Maybeshewill (features snippets of the 1970 movie Network)
Antennas to Heaven
Meanwhile Back in communist Russia
God is an Astronaut
The National
The Gothic Archies (Lemony Snickets *sort of band*)
Zeigeist
Sia

Guess nobody knows them, except for The National and Sia.
Anyhow, my last.fm profile for those interested enough/

Both God is an Astronaut and Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia are awesome. I can spend days listening to the God is an Astronaut albums on loop. Not to mention they are great background music for studying philosophy. As to the others (other than the two more popular listed) I haven't heard of them. Maybe I will...

Here is my Last.fm music profile if anyone is interested. I only use the program to find new music, for which the program is outstanding. Some off my favorite bands were found through the similar artists listings.
clearthought

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:33 am
@OntheWindowStand,
The National is probably my favorite band. I also like Okkervil River, Of Montreal, Explosions in the Sky, Radiohead, Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs, Wilco, Modest Mouse, Pavement, TV on the Radio, Nirvana, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Hendrix, and much more...
0 Replies

socrato

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:58 pm
@Psychonaut,
Coldplay is too soft. Give me some queen, ACDC. Yeah.
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:40 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Both God is an Astronaut and Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia are awesome. I can spend days listening to the God is an Astronaut albums on loop. Not to mention they are great background music for studying philosophy. As to the others (other than the two more popular listed) I haven't heard of them. Maybe I will...

Here is my Last.fm music profile if anyone is interested. I only use the program to find new music, for which the program is outstanding. Some off my favorite bands were found through the similar artists listings.

If you like Meanwhile back in Communist Russia, you're bound to like Antennas to heaven. It's the same as MBCR, but with a male voice instead of female.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
@Vasska,
Music on demand, free music without download | Deezer

Very inspiring. I think I might be starting to gear away from lyrics, as I become independent.

Can anyone recommend any other music along that song.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 05:18 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What's this categorical rejection of rap? Go check out The Roots and be done with your judgments. Great band - one of the best around. Musicians of immense skill, taste and vision.

I like all sorts of music. I'm a huge Robert Johnson fan, and listen to a lot of blues - Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf sort of stuff. I also dig on some jazz; Coltrane, Miles, Gillespie, Monk. As a drummer, big band jazz always captivates me. Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich are favorites.

I was born in the 80's, but I get the feeling I'm a child of the 60s. The old school funk and rhythm and blues are inspiring. Dylan, the Doors, and all the white boy blues bands - Cream, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mack.

There isn't a genre I outright dislike. With enough whiskey, I'll jam bluegrass all night. Huge reggae fan, especially Peter Tosh and Toots and the Maytalls (well, and Marley, obviously).

I was never a big Linkin Park fan, but I can enjoy some of their tunes from time to time. Their collaboration with Jay-Z was interesting, and I like where they were going, but I'd rather throw on some 311 and really get things going.

We have very similar tastes DT. I also love the blues, especially the old chicago style, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Luther Allison, Willie Dixon, and others. Now, I'm really getting into that deep south juke joint sound, R.L. Burnside, T-Model Ford, etc.

I do like a good deal of rap: Outkast, Cee-Lo, Jay Z, The Roots, Aesop Rock....

I love old school R&B. I could listen to Al Green all day. I also like Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, The O'Jays, Chi-Lites, a newer guy named Jamie Lidell and others.

Rock, I get into more indie stuff. Favorites would be Tom Waits, Beck, Spoon, The Black Keys, Wilco, Ryan Adams...
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 05:23 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Sonic Youth, King Crimson, the Melvins, Broken Social Scene and the members other bands, Cloud Cult, the Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Phish are some of my favorites. Lately I have been also listening to a ton of Secret Chiefs 3--very good Arabian surf latin rock with a splash of death metal for good measure (if you have heard of Mr. Bungle you would recognize the sound of Trey Spruance's guitar work).

The Roots are definately the best rap group out there. Other than the Roots and Deltron 3030 I have not found much good rap out there. Much rap to me is little more than a strong representation of what is wrong in American society.

Modern radio rock is much more representative about what I hate about American society. Radio rap can be bad, but at least it still has some connection to life; modern radio rock is a soulless corpse.
Sivart

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:37 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I listen to all genres of music but predominately "Hip-Hop", it's really not that bad if you listen to the correct stuff, early 90's for me was best, Wu-Tang Clan, these guys spread a whole lot of knowledge if you take the time to listen to it. It's a great form of poetry and expression, people like KRS-One and Rakim have a wealth of knowledge to share. I think the commercial side of Hip-Hop has ruined it's name. Their are many underground groups that make amazing music.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:34 pm
@Sivart,
Modern rock and modern hip-hop look about the same to me. A handful of great groups blazing trails - and then a mass of second rate bands stumbling around blindly in the woods. I'm a rock 'n roller more than anything else, and this condition is wholly depressing.

Quote:
I love old school R&B. I could listen to Al Green all day. I also like Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, The O'Jays, Chi-Lites, a newer guy named Jamie Lidell and others.

That's what I grew up on. Beach music, too. The Drifters, Otis Redding, all that. Great music. I've always thought Al Green was a true genius.
hammersklavier

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Radiohead, Muse, Bloc Party--that sort of British alt-rock, as well as funk metal (e.g., RHCP, Incubus), post-rock like Sigur Ros or Mogwai, and some grunge too. I have fairly up-to-date tastes.
0 Replies

schloopfeng

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 06:10 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Hello There,
Oh my word what a corker ..... this question floors me every time, tonight I have listened to ; the throwing muses, rage against the machine, the john butler trio, moby, the afro celt sound system, john lee hooker, senser, the dandy warhols, soulfly & gong, ......now going to play ozric tentacles for some non lyrical wonder before bed ....night folks
TTFN:shocked:
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, a little bit of Grateful Dead, Coldplay, Radiohead, and a lot of Indie (and related) stuff, like Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Shane Nicholson, Shearwater, Okkervil River, Elbow, Death Cab for Cutie, and Shiny Toy Guns. I drive 57 miles each way to work every day, so I listen to satellite radio. I'd have never discovered these bands otherwise. Listening to NPR's All Songs Considered is my other source for new bands.

I listen to a lot of world music, especially from West Africa. No one beats Youssou N'dour, but I also love Baba Maal, Angelique Kidjo, Amadou and Mariam, Orchestra Baobab, and Salif Keita.

At the gym I'll put on thrash metal -- Metallica, Testament, Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer. Not really my thing anymore, but I'll get a little bit more weight on the bench if I'm listening to music like that.

At home mostly classical and opera. Gustav Mahler's symphonies are almost works of philosophy unto themselves -- just beyond belief. Especially his 2nd symphony if I had to pick one. Huge fan of all things Mozart. I listen to lots of opera, especially Mozart's and Verdi's. And I love choral music.

My son, who is 10 months old, loves to jump up and down in this farm-themed jumparoo device. Rather than listening to Fisher Price renditions of "Farmer in the Dell", "Turkey in the Straw", and "Mary had a Little Lamb", we made him a mix with a bunch of breakdancing music and hip hop. Awesome seeing a baby jump up and down with a huge grin on his face with Newcleus on in the background. Wink
0 Replies

comdavid

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
i think that all of u, yes... you have forgotten to COLD PLAY...

i love the song VIVA LA VIDA, that was the name down this song arrive to my country...

"I USED TO RULE THE WORLD ...SEAS WOULD RAISE WHEN I GAVE THE WORD..NOW IN THE MORNING I SLEEP ALONE..SWEOT THE STREETS I USE TO OWN....

HEAR JERUSALEM BELLS ARE RINGING .. ROMAIN CALVARY CHOIRS ARE SINGING, BE MY MIRROR , MY SWORD, MY SHIELD,, ...."
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
I've been playing "In my Place" and "Yellow" by Coldplay on the guitar for my son since he was about 4 days old.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:30 am
@OntheWindowStand,
I am pretty much a fan of a wide range of avant-garde music. From Frank Zappa to Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Mr. Bungle, Animal Collective, the Melvins, Secret Chiefs 3, of Montreal, Antony & the Johnsons, King Crimson, Ween, Bjork and others that are far less popular or known artists.

But as a singer-guitarist I get in to a lot of folk/indie stuff with good song writing from Bright Eyes to Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, M. Ward, Beirut, Devotchka, Broken Social Scene, the Decemberists, Wilco, Cloud Cult, Modest Mouse and the missed great indie band--Pavement.

When I read I tend to listen to post-rock as it makes wonderful soundtracks to the great ideas of the world. Typically the songs lack vocals or very few so there is one less thing to distract from the words on the page. Bands like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, God is an Astronaut, Do Make Say Think, Sweek, Ef, and others. Post-rock is often inspired by classical music, which is probably why I have been beginning to listen to more and more classical music.

I think the point is that different situations, emotions, and purposes inspire the style of music people listen to. Not to mention, taste in music is highly subjective. Personally I cannot stand Coldplay, but I am sure that many Coldplay fans would wonder what the hell the noise coming out of my speakers is when I am listening to Animal Collective. To the person that can only listen to classical music, most modern music probably sounds like pure noise.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Animal Collective

Have you gotten their new one yet?

Quote:

Andrew Bird

How about his? I love Anonanimal and Natural Disaster.
Theaetetus

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:45 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Have you gotten their new one yet?

How about his? I love Anonanimal and Natural Disaster.

I did get the new Animal Collective album and it is phenomenal. While they definitely toned down some of their more bizarre experimentation found on earlier albums, they are still a far cry from modern pop music. I also got tickets for their show here in Milwaukee at the Riverside Theater in May. I can't believe they have gotten so popular that they are probably going to sell out the 2500 seat theater months before the show.

The new Andrew Bird album is wonderful. It has been one of my favorite albums to sit and listen to on the bus. I can't think of a favorite song, but I tend to let the album loop over and over from one ride to the next. I have always enjoyed Bird's work from his days with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, Bowl of Fire, and his solo stuff, but I think that Noble Beast may be his best overall album.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:38 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I did get the new Animal Collective album and it is phenomenal. While they definitely toned down some of their more bizarre experimentation found on earlier albums, they are still a far cry from modern pop music. I also got tickets for their show here in Milwaukee at the Riverside Theater in May. I can't believe they have gotten so popular that they are probably going to sell out the 2500 seat theater months before the show.

I had never really gotten into them before this album. I had listened to their stuff and it never really was my cup of tea. I found the electronic freak-out experimentation pretty off-putting.

I think you are right that they toned down the experimentation, and I think that is the key, because the songwriting really shows through. The album is simply filled with excellent moments. I heard the looping vocals on Guy's Eyes and the back and forth of Brother Sport and I was hooked.

Quote:
The new Andrew Bird album is wonderful. It has been one of my favorite albums to sit and listen to on the bus. I can't think of a favorite song, but I tend to let the album loop over and over from one ride to the next. I have always enjoyed Bird's work from his days with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, Bowl of Fire, and his solo stuff, but I think that Noble Beast may be his best overall album.

I like his stuff, but every time I listen to it, I get the feeling I should like it better. Individually, I really like a lot of his songs, but he has never cracked my listening list like he has yours.