Lunar Eclipse

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 12:16 am
Any one spend some time stairing at the earths shadow?
I went out to my favoreit place in the country, a very large canyon. I got my car stuck in a snow drift, had my phone die and then walked to the nearest farm house and met some increadibly kind people who offered to pull me out. It was a truelly excellent night, I just love it when things go all wrong and then work out. I saw quite a few people stopped in fields watching, a couple telescopes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,905 • Replies: 28
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 12:26 am
Wolf - sounds great! Got to love the kismet factor.

I spent some time going in and out of the house to check on the progress. It's pretty cold here (but no snow!). It was fun. I haven't done that lunar eclipse watch for about a decade.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 01:24 am
I was walking to the office this morning and saw the moon about one-third gone. I figured it must have been an eclipse, but hadn't heard anything about it ahead of time. A little surfing on the internet brought me up to speed.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 01:31 am
Went out and watched it on my front porch.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 01:31 am
I watched it tonight from the warmth of my kitchen. Too damn cold and snowy outside. It looked like a great big pebble.
I love that your evening was such a messy success, cinder. Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
Ceili
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:13 am
Ceili
I hope that snow isn't headed this way. I'm not ready for that yet.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:23 am
I was planning to watch, but it was completely overcast here. I can't complain about the weather though, since the high was in the 60s today - actually the first cool weather we've had this fall.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 05:35 am
It was a beautiful clear night here in the south of Germany. I kept looking out of the window. It was wonderful.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 05:53 am
Don't about the lunar eclipse, but I love looking at the stars on a clear night. I remember when Halley's comet was close, it entirely filled the night sky. Saw it while night fishing at a beach away from the lights of the town. What an awesome sight.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 06:29 am
Got a call from a neighbor, who told me about the eclipse. I had already taken a shower, so I walked out, in my jammies. At the point where I looked, you could only see a sliver of the moon. The total eclipse was to be about 15 minutes later. Looked for a few minutes, and then, since Law & Order SUV was on, went back in. I DO have my priorities! :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
You mean that even LAwand Oeder has a show about SUVs? This is getting out of hand. we need to do something about all these SUVs in this country.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 10:38 am
Montana, you mean to tell me the maritimes are free and clear of the dastardly white stuff????
The sunday before Halloween was 17 above, a few day later is was snowing and -17. The only positive in this enivitable miserable weather is... the drought seems to be over.
Ceili
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:20 pm
I stepped out in my front yard to watch, and the clouds drifted over the face of the sliver, somewhat, but it was a strange and wonderful spectacle.

However

My husband locked me out if the house, and I thought that I would never get his attention to apprise him of the fact. Banged on the windows, on the front door, (doorbell didn't work)...Northeast wind was picking up and I thought to myself, I'm gonna have to spend the night curled up on the stoop. Shocked Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 03:24 pm
Ceili wrote:
Montana, you mean to tell me the maritimes are free and clear of the dastardly white stuff????
The sunday before Halloween was 17 above, a few day later is was snowing and -17. The only positive in this enivitable miserable weather is... the drought seems to be over.
Ceili

Well it great to hear that the drought is over in your parts. We had a small amount of snow one morning last week which was gone within minutes, so I don't think that counts. I have to drive down to the states soon, so I'm hoping the snow will hold off for awhile.

Letty
Oh my gosh. You poor thing. Did you ever get back in?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 03:27 pm
Montana, Nope. I never did. Fortunately, I have a computer in the Florida room. Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:15 pm
Letty, at least there was no bear in sight. My father has cleverly locked my mom outside when she stepped out for a smoke with a bear and a cub some 8 steps away from her! needless to say she does not smoke anymore...

the moon was gorgeous, what i love most is the descriptions of it here from all over the world. it just feels so safe and paecefull to know we are all watching one moon on one sky.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:17 pm
Dag
Damn!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:22 pm
well, she's still alive, that sensible woman. she knocked quietly on the window and we saw the horror in her eyes, so dad let her in quickly. he locked her out as a prank to begin with. she peeked in to tell us there is a bear - we used to watch them with flashlights, but from inside. he thought she was kidding. ay well, not so. the bears go for the trash anyway, so they are not aggressive against people. the cub though could have become a minor problem.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:28 pm
Wow! dag. Shocked That's a rough way to send someone a no smoking signal.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:32 pm
Yeah, the cub sure could change matters. I bet your dad never locked her out again, lol.
0 Replies