Why music is no good

ROBOTER

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:41 pm
@Adrian ada,
Without music life would be meaningless. ~Nietzsche.
0 Replies

vTruth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:38 pm
@Icon,
This was an absurd claim in my opinion. :perplexed:
Anyway though, The Beastie Boys are a Hip-Hop group that doesnt promote violence.
Music is Astonishing its everywhere you go, Thousands of styles by Different people. It unites people together, For instance Live 8 and Woodstock. I like many other people could not function without music. Music can provide Inspiration and provoke emotion from You like little else can.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:31 pm
@Adrian ada,
Whilst reading that first post in this topic I seriously couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. Third too.

But yeah, Music brings that beautiful feeling where I can close my eyes and lose myself, but that doesn't mean it comes from God (good music, anyway).

I used to be one of those rap haters myself, but then I listened to the raps that make you smile, like Outkast, Beastie Boys and 50 Cent. Oh the hilarity.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:

But yeah, Music brings that beautiful feeling where I can close my eyes and lose myself, but that doesn't mean it comes from God (good music, anyway).

Unless God is the source of beauty. Once you have lost yourself, what is left?
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:06 pm
@Adrian ada,
Surely beauty comes from our own individual perception of things, for example some may find beauty in a newborn baby and others see them as hateful things consisting entirely of poo. If beauty comes from our perception of reality, and God is the source of Beauty, what then is God?

And that is the greatest part of losing yourself, for just a small period of time there is nothing.
0 Replies

schloopfeng

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:31 pm
@Adrian ada,
Erm :shocked:......kinda lost for words here ..... so lyrics will have to suffice:
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true,
Jerry Lee Lewis was the Devil,
Jesus was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet,
All of a sudden I found myself in love with the world,
So there was just one thing I could do,
That was Dingy Ding Dang My Dang Long Ling Long.

Ministry: psalm 69 (the way to succeed & the way to suck eggs)

Music .......no good ......................blimey:shocked:
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
@Adrian ada,
Every kind of modern music, without exception, has been condemned when it first appeared. Ragtime, jazz, blues, rock-'n'-roll, punk, rap, hip-hop, funk, you name it.

But that's not the way I see it. To me, music and poetry live in the same field. Both, done and done well, intensify emotion. I recently described poetry as "emotion honed in words"; music, on the same wavelength, is emotion honed in sound. This sharpened, honed, intensified emotion effects us and we in turn must come to terms with it. When I'm angry and melancholic, I listen to heavy metal a lot because it calms me down: it helps me confront the extremes of my emotion and in the confrontation helps eliminate it.

The best music and the best poetry both help you strengthen emotions you wish to strengthen and deflate emotions you wish to deflate. It is a tool for aiding our sanity--and thus it is not evil.

My point for introducing poetry is also to say: those who devalue music must necessarily devalue poetry (music is the sonic realization and poetry the verbal realization of the same basic instinct, namely, the desire to convey emotion). Since vast portions of the Bible are poetry, the devaluation of music leads inexorably to the devaluation of poetry leads inexorably to the devaluation of the Bible: saying music is evil is evil.
0 Replies