Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:20 pm
Do you Blog? It seems like everyone does it! Have you fallen in with this tread, and what do you like most about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,944 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Rivelli

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:12 pm
@philosopherqueen,
I just started actually. I really dislike doing it. The purpose is for my personal brand.
0 Replies

Wizzy

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:21 am
@philosopherqueen,
I do... Wizzy - The king of Sweden
It's kind of half serious though.. I write down some thoughts, put up some pics of my paintings and so on.. I get some comments and some mails about it though, that part I love.. people aren't always so nice Wink
de budding

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 04:18 pm
@Wizzy,
At Uni we have to have a blog for some workshops, to post reports and log books so we can quote each other in essays and stuff... no one likes doing it though.
http://danbuddle.uniblogs.org/ as you can see it gets minimal attention and I just bung my notes/reports up there. So I guess I blog, we also use Google docs to edit documents in groups online; blogging definitely has it's educational pros
I'd like to start a personal blog like Wizzy's but, alas I find it somewhat uncomfortable writing about myself.
Dan.
philosopherqueen

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:49 pm
@de budding,
I blog, well I used to alot.

I at once put up a brief biography for my friends to read and edit for me. I got a lot of responses from that. Friends that have known me for years didn't know the extent of what I have went through and it was very enlightening for them.

For a twenty years old, I think my life it a story of it's own.

I like it, but only when I know who's reading what I'm typing.
de budding

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:39 am
@philosopherqueen,
'For a twenty years old, I think my life it a story of it's own'- I wanna hear the story. Very Happy
philosopherqueen

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:12 pm
@de budding,
well, I'll post a blog on here for eveyone to read. It'll be brief, If you want more just tell me and I'll go into it more. Promise. Just keep checking the blog area and i should have it up shortly.
de budding

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:04 pm
@philosopherqueen,
cheers queen!Very Happy
I will keep checking.
LouSalome

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:01 pm
@de budding,
I figure, why not answer this thread. I've been blogging off and on for six or more years now. It's good if you can get ideas across and make people think about something they wouldn't otherwise think of. It's bad if all you're doing is talking about dramatic occurrences within your own life.

I use it to pose philosophical arguments or conjectures to people who are not in an academic setting. I also use it as a way to (on occasion) publish my poetry and prose.
Justin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:21 pm
@LouSalome,
LouSalome;15965 wrote:
I figure, why not answer this thread. I've been blogging off and on for six or more years now. It's good if you can get ideas across and make people think about something they wouldn't otherwise think of. It's bad if all you're doing is talking about dramatic occurrences within your own life.

I use it to pose philosophical arguments or conjectures to people who are not in an academic setting. I also use it as a way to (on occasion) publish my poetry and prose.

Feel free to use the signature setting in your profile options to add a link to your blog. We also have blogging available in this forum and we're going to be making it more visible soon. I personally should blog more but I don't. I should though.
LouSalome

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:08 am
@Justin,
I will consider placing the link within my signature. I would object only on the grounds that the one I am using as my official blog only currently has two entries, and is quite likely to have some material I would hesitate to share with this audience. But hey, I would like to know if there are readers out there.

I'll strike a Rodin pose and think about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Replies

Paracelsus

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 07:12 pm
@Justin,
I am a bit ambivalent on the issue of blogging. As some one who keeps an extensive journal in which I try to write in daily, to both record ideas feeling, impressions on the state of the world and use it for self analysis,I have to question its use value for someone else. Are we a society of voyeurs? Where is the public and persona, has it l been dissolved? Are blogs open to anyone or just select audiences?

What are people seeking through blogging? The transmission of ideas? Fame? Social Recognition? Acknowledgement of their existence and its worth to both self and others?

I do enjoy reading biography and autobiographies but a blog like a journal is a work in progress isn't it? Or have we reduced our lives to serial like installments where any can come in have a look then leave?

I don't know and this is not to detract from anything or anyone but I feel that my ego is developed and recognised enough to do without blogging or am I missing the point about it all?
de budding

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 08:35 am
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
I am a bit ambivalent on the issue of blogging. As some one who keeps an extensive journal in which I try to write in daily, to both record ideas feeling, impressions on the state of the world and use it for self analysis,I have to question its use value for someone else. Are we a society of voyeurs? Where is the public and persona, has it l been dissolved? Are blogs open to anyone or just select audiences?

What are people seeking through bogging? The transmission of ideas? Fame? Social Recognition? Acknowledgment of their existence and its worth to both self and others?

I do enjoy reading biography and autobiographies but a blog like a journal is a work in progress isn't it? Or have we reduced our lives to serial like installments where any can come in have a look then leave?

I don't know and this is not to detract from anything or anyone but I feel that my ego is developed and recognized enough to do without blogging or am I missing the point about it all?

I don't think your missing the point; I personally can't blog, I feel like a narcissist if I do, anything I do write that isn't on these forums is never seen by anyone but me. I think this is a result of recognizing that a lot of people who Blog/write are in fact after 'Fame? Social Recognition? Acknowledgment of their existence and its worth to both self and others?' And when I ask myself, why should I post my opinion? I usually assume it is because I want recognition of my brilliantly original, super smart and incredibly profound brain *roles eyes*.

But I tell you what, it is hard keeping everything to yourself out of fear of being construed as pretensious or 'full of it' or a smart ****, as I am often put down as. The need for outstretched hands soon becomes apparent and I go start babbling to someone who has no interest in the subject about how wonderful I have found the impression of some obscure philosophy prose.

Perhaps it would be a good start to ask others what there motives are when writing, posting blogging.

Dan
Paracelsus

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:06 pm
@de budding,
de_budding;17379 wrote:
I don't think your missing the point; I personally can't blog, I feel like a narcissist if I do, anything I do write that isn't on these forums is never seen by anyone but me. I think this is a result of recognizing that a lot of people who Blog/write are in fact after 'Fame? Social Recognition? Acknowledgment of their existence and its worth to both self and others?' And when I ask myself, why should I post my opinion? I usually assume it is because I want recognition of my brilliantly original, super smart and incredibly profound brain *roles eyes*.

But I tell you what, it is hard keeping everything to yourself out of fear of being construed as pretensious or 'full of it' or a smart ****, as I am often put down as. The need for outstretched hands soon becomes apparent and I go start babbling to someone who has no interest in the subject about how wonderful I have found the impression of some obscure philosophy prose.

Perhaps it would be a good start to ask others what there motives are when writing, posting blogging.

Dan

But isnt this ' hard to keep everything to yourself,' some what symptomatic of a breakdown in social relations? I personally think forums like this are great they allow discussion and ensure that ideas, which is the real currency of life, to circulate freely.

The problem is that social relations from my observation are shrinking, becoming closed off, people are withdrawing into themselves, maybe its symptomatic of the times we live in. Is it a reaction to the current state of the world?

In one sense the internet and forums like these broaden our horizons and allow contact with people from all over the globe, but are our social networks shrinking? Is actual person to person contact declining?

And you are right about questioning motives behind actions, I dont know if you have heard of the book Convergence Culture by Henry Jenkins but its worth a look.

And isn't the point of it all to live an examined life?
de budding

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:43 am
@Paracelsus,
symptomatic of a breakdown in social relations indeed. If you have the energy read this postand the little back and forth Vaska and myself have from post #7 on wards. The relevant stuff finishes at the bottom of the page; I think we did a pretty good job of highlighting some of the major language issues which would be serious offenders with regard to the destruction of social relations.

I also see the need for for sharing ones knowledge, as part of maintaining meaning within ones actions, I guess for the same reasons it might seem odd to wear make-up and dress up in the house alone without any plans of leaving. I'm sure this isn't a deep seeded motive, but certainly it fits in with your comment- 'ideas, ... is the real currency'; why have currency if you have no one to trade with?

Is there ever learning for the sake of learning, or is all self improvement a sympton of one-upmanship? Perhaps this question reveals a little more, today I certainly feel the pressure of society and the actions of most seem to be well driven by the masses, I often ask my brother why he chooses to drive a ridiculously fast and expensive car? He can only answer, 'because...' I often imply that he didn't buy the car but the general public did, for without them he would not have felt the pressure to compete machine-wise and buy such an over the top motor- this winds him up somewhat Very Happy.

The glare of the public and their iron fist of judgment probably has a part in this as well, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable communicating the way I am now with the punters at my local pub, in the primary school I have been volenteering at, and especially not at home. Is it as simple as that?

Dan.
Paracelsus

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:25 pm
@de budding,
de_budding;17475 wrote:
symptomatic of a breakdown in social relations indeed. If you have the energy read this postand the little back and forth Vaska and myself have from post #7 on wards. The relevant stuff finishes at the bottom of the page; I think we did a pretty good job of highlighting some of the major language issues which would be serious offenders with regard to the destruction of social relations.

I also see the need for for sharing ones knowledge, as part of maintaining meaning within ones actions, I guess for the same reasons it might seem odd to wear make-up and dress up in the house alone without any plans of leaving. I'm sure this isn't a deep seeded motive, but certainly it fits in with your comment- 'ideas, ... is the real currency'; why have currency if you have no one to trade with?

Is there ever learning for the sake of learning, or is all self improvement a sympton of one-upmanship? Perhaps this question reveals a little more, today I certainly feel the pressure of society and the actions of most seem to be well driven by the masses, I often ask my brother why he chooses to drive a ridiculously fast and expensive car? He can only answer, 'because...' I often imply that he didn't buy the car but the general public did, for without them he would not have felt the pressure to compete machine-wise and buy such an over the top motor- this winds him up somewhat Very Happy.

The glare of the public and their iron fist of judgment probably has a part in this as well, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable communicating the way I am now with the punters at my local pub, in the primary school I have been volenteering at, and especially not at home. Is it as simple as that?

Dan.

A forum such as this is the place where ideas are traded amongst a group of people who either share common intellectual interests or are looking for a place to relate to like minds. Certainly the Internet has opened up the potential for the exchange and sharing of ideas and knowledge, which is positive thing don't you think.

And yes I do have people beyond this forum whom i can discus ideas with on a regular basis i signed on here out of interest to listen to other peoples opinions and engage in discursive practice, so I still believe that ideas are a from of currency which can be exchanged in an open environment.

But I believe you should question the motives of why someone is keeping a journal of their life and then offering it up for public display. Why? What are they after in doing this, that is what interests me. I also think that its just an exercise in vanity and self indulgence. Is it some sort of frustrated novelist trying to break out?

And as for the breakdown of social relations what do you think that this is the best of all possible worlds?We live in a society that is consumed by fame and the desire to be famous. In my opinion its a social affliction which is part of the malady of the times.

The Internet and forums such as these enables discussions like this but historically weren't there such things as Art and Trade Schools where people once used to gather and discuss ideas and isn't this forum just an extension of that?
Justin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 07:43 am
@Paracelsus,
I also am not a big blogger. However, blogs are very useful and it allows the person posting the blog to sort of let loose and write what's on their mind. Blogs can be reviews or blogs can be comments about news or just anything one wants to write. I don't think it's about the fame of blogging or trying to get fame for blogging as it is an extension of oneself in their writing. Those who have never written anything but blog seems to be good for them as well. Whether it be getting something off their chest or writing about something they like or dislike, blogging can be therapeutic as well.

There are a lot of good things about blogs. It doesn't necessarily have to be a journal, it can be anything you wish to write about. That's the beauty of it. It does take discipline to blog though which is also good. I guess it takes doing it to see if we like it.
0 Replies

Lazarius

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:03 am
@Justin,
I think I would like to start a blog about some of my social expiriments, based on psychology. Obviously, maintaining it, would possibly be a trial, but I like to think that people will read it and understant the points I was trying to make via the excercise.
Binka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 06:39 pm
@Lazarius,
I recommend you all to read the essay at Academic Commons.com. It's very interesting and has a lot of interesting views upon blogging and philosophy.

I have been blogging for around five or six years now. Not for a special reason. Just to experiment. And definetly not for fame! :nonooo:

If not anything else, it have occurred to me that I blog not to tell people what I think, but to figure out for myself how I think and actually what it is that I'm thinking. Then we can ask why I need to publish my thoughts and feelings in a public blog to figure that out. Why wouldn't it be the same to write it down in one's diary? You see- My impression is that with a blog comes also some useful commitment. A blogger learns a responsibility according to keep the blog updated, get visitors to the blog etc. and that also does the blogger aware of committing to his or hers opinions because - obviously - everyone can read it! The blog is you. You are the blog. And you change. But so does the blog.
That's the way it's supposed to be.

I also think that everything that is written deserves to be read. I would almost claim that writings that is not read is worthless! It could have been of a certain value for the writer while writing it. But what next? Through blogging we can take advantage of how incredible easy it is to spread ideas. It has some backsides - like that it is maaaaany junky blogs out there - but also many advantages! Like- opportunity to comment and discuss a neverending philosophical text is marvelous! The feeling of being heard, acknowledgement and recognition, it is both motivating and awakening in ways I don't really know how to explain properly... You can learn something about yourself studying yourself inward, and then study how people perceive you. Like a blogger who receive feedback. It creates new thoughts, which is exciting. :rolleyes:

After all, blogging is an eternal competition! It could also be a book, a philosophical masterpiece, which is read while it is written.

I consider blogging and philosophy as meant to be. :a-ok:
0 Replies

Ennui phil

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:31 am
@philosopherqueen,
Blogging is akin to philosophizing if it is contemplated of that facet.Blogging likewise must by all means make it meritorious for you.It can pertains to manifold subjects,like a journal on the Internet.
0 Replies