Most influencial

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:12 pm
Who was the most influencial musician to you and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,689 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 08:35 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Maynard James Keenan.

Lead singer of Tool, and Perfect Circle.
His voice is phenomenal, he has great range, and his songs have meaning, which is more than I can say for almost any musician that has risen in the past 30 years.
He's done duets with Tori Amos, Deftones, and Luciano Pavarotti.

Smart dude, and a great singer.
Wizzy

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:07 am
@philosopherqueen,
Immortal Technique

Great rapper, refuced to become comercial, great meanings in his songs..
Never done his music to earn money or fame, just because he wants to tell the world of what he have to say..
"Land of the Gun" <- one of the best songs ever..

How about you?
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 11:55 am
@philosopherqueen,
Pink Floyd. There's something about they way David Gilmour sings with his guitar that gives me an ethereal experience.

Tool is another great band. Maynard sings with an immense amount of passion. Well, he used to at least.

However, I don't think music has much of an 'influence' on me, like say reading a book or having a discussion would. It is more passive enjoyment. (Although, when I listen to an album like Anema, I feel like getting into a fight!)
0 Replies

de budding

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 12:13 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:

Lead singer of Tool

You got taste Aristoddler- as far as Tool goes there is non better for vocals, what is most intriguing is the vocals in songs like Stinkfist- which are intentionally filtered to remove that strikingly human frequency range that we are all drawn to, and placed further back in the mix than most bands dare. The vocals in Stinkfist are a protest against the fact that the musical laymen is attracted to the human voice's frequency range in a song, especially when it is put front and centre of the mix (front-back of a song is derived from amplitude and reverb.)

Also the man's practically a poet, the lyrics to The Pot are again teasing the less musically capable fans who don't 'listen' to the bands music in the way the band would like. The title is 'the pot' which weighed against the cunning content of the mix seems to refer to the drug cannabis, what it actually refers to is the 'the pot calling the kettle black' and all the cannabis references are deliberate mispronunciations of words to trick the less observant listeners into misconstruing the songs actual content.
Also the pot was nominated for a Grammy.

The drummer- is the best rhythmical drummer there is
The bassist- is in the best rhythmical bassist there is
And the guitar work and singing displays such a competent knowledge of time signatures, polyrhythm, polymetre etc. That it is not too extreme to automatically start referring to Tool as one of the most artistic bands of modern music.

So obviously Tool are my main influence, but not because of all of the above, but because they execute the whole lot with maximum subtlety, no showing off, no needless solos- the song structure and flow gets as much attention as the rest and this is the most impressive thing by far, many people listen to the drummer and dismiss him as of average talent, but he is one of the most competent and rhythmically fluent drummers I have heard.

After Tool I am only enclined to listen to bands that technically impress me, which is usually thrashing trashing metal and black metal.

Jazz, swing and soul are my other great loves in music but they all require brass sections to play which I have never had available to me, so I can only ever play along to the likes at home alone Sad.
philosopherqueen

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:28 pm
@de budding,
I love Pink Floyd. I'm so glad someone else mentioned them!!!

If you haven't heard of jamestown story, I recommend that you listen to them. They have one song called Goodbye, where they speak out against suicide and incourage people to get help. They even list the number in the song.
Vasska

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:46 am
@philosopherqueen,
I guess I have to say Nightwish around 2003-2006 for it introduced me to other forms of music (metal, Gothic etc) and from that I gently turned to other bands in the same genre, and slowly to the music I listen today.
But many bands have influenced me in different ways, far to numerous to mention. It would be hard to make a soundtrack of my life by the numbers of artists.

I must admit that *Nsync was the first group that I bought a single from, I was 12 back then. So in a way *Nsync was my first entrance to (populair) music.
urangutan

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:27 am
@Vasska,
Musician would have to be Jean Michel Jarre, he took the step beyond Vangelis unless you don't want to count the Synthesizer as an instrument, which would leave me with Dave Brubeck. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are a close tie and Pink Floyd as a band. If I have to comment on pop, I will just say I am in it for the beat and a good voice, which reminds me I do like that little Icelandic chic, Bjork. She reclassifies good caberet. I know that most if not all of you have never heard of Andy Durant, but he encapsulated songs that catergorised Australia that come out of the sixties and learnt in the seventies. Anyone who performed at his memorial concert will stand by that.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:16 pm
@urangutan,
Robert Johnson.

Basically, everyone mentioned in this thread depends upon his genius. And you would be hard pressed to find a better example of solo blues performance.

But there are so many to chose from!

Robert Johnson is a heavy influence to me even without his own recordings. Imagine the careers of Eric Clapton or the members of Led Zeppelin without those Johnson tunes. No Crossroads, no Traveling Riverside Blues. Next to Robert Johnson, Led Zeppelin would be my primary influence. As a drummer, hearing John Bonham for the first time was mind-blowing. When I imagine what a band should be, Zeppelin is the archetype.

For more modern examples, the choice is a split decision between 311 and Sublime.
Aedes

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:30 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Easy, Tom Waits and Bob Dylan. Absolute geniuses with words, images, and ideas.
boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 04:12 pm
@Aedes,
Smile

The all time most recorded artist, the late great, Hank Williams Sr. great crossover records as well. Influences, country gospel and blues with a little bit of the minstrel to boot, he could paint a picture with words and music, to make a stone cry. I am so lonesome I could cry. The Hillbilly Shakespeare!! A Tear Drop On A Rose, Your Cheating Heart, Thy Burdens Are Greater Than Mine, they just keep rollin on folks!!Wink
Justin

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:02 pm
@boagie,
His is a Polish pianist and composer. Much of his music can be found in Bugs Bunny. For any of you who haven't heard Paderewski here's a couple videos:

Ignacy Jan Paderewski/Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsodie No2 (doc.)

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 2nd and 3rd Movements Paderewski

Paderewski plays Chopin
Crazeddemon

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:37 pm
@Justin,
Glad to see Tool made it in this list quickly. The polyrhythms that this band can produce is unreal. It is what has made me great at odd time signatures and finding weird rhythms in seemingly boring riffs on bass guitar. While I have now come to the conclusion that the lyrics are a little over dramatic at times (i figure so that it can reach more people in more ways by being slightly more general), but beyond the lyrics is the voice and the sound it produces as it interacts with the music. They open my mind up to new ideas sonically which gets me thinking about music in a different way, which helps me to transform that idea into thinking about other things under different lights.
0 Replies

philosopherqueen

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Robert Johnson.

Basically, everyone mentioned in this thread depends upon his genius. And you would be hard pressed to find a better example of solo blues performance.

But there are so many to chose from!

Robert Johnson is a heavy influence to me even without his own recordings. Imagine the careers of Eric Clapton or the members of Led Zeppelin without those Johnson tunes. No Crossroads, no Traveling Riverside Blues. Next to Robert Johnson, Led Zeppelin would be my primary influence. As a drummer, hearing John Bonham for the first time was mind-blowing. When I imagine what a band should be, Zeppelin is the archetype.

For more modern examples, the choice is a split decision between 311 and Sublime.

He was at the Blues festival, two years ago, and he was at Memphis in May this year. I saw him. The Blues festival in Helena, Ar really ticked him off. They were actually trying to get him to turn his music down for someone else.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:04 am
@philosopherqueen,
Ah, Memphis in May. What a wonderful event. Good music, great hallucinogens.

But I have to ask, who did you see there? The line up this year was wonderful - the Roots, Doyle Bramhall, Magic Slim, Buddy Guy, Lou Reed and then some. I ask because no one I mentioned played - at least to my knowledge.

As for Tool, yeah, they have a good thing going and would probably upstage Dream Theater - no small feat. But if you want mind blowing polyrhythms, jazz is the place to go. Art Blakey practically invented polyrhythms in modern western music, and Elvin Jones takes them to another level. I'd recommend any record with Elvin, which includes a lot of great Coltrane.
boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Thomas,Smile

Buddy Guy I thought he was dead, he use to play with the late Junior Wells----- chicago blues band. Are you sure he is still on the go?:confused:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:10 am
@boagie,
Junior Wells also played with Muddy Waters and Magic Slim. Talk about great Chicago blues.

And yeah, Buddy Guy is still out there entertaining the public. Like I said, if you'd been at Memphis in May, you could have seen him play.

Bo Diddley died the other day, maybe you were thinking of him?
0 Replies

de budding

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Ah, Memphis in May. What a wonderful event. Good music, great hallucinogens.

But I have to ask, who did you see there? The line up this year was wonderful - the Roots, Doyle Bramhall, Magic Slim, Buddy Guy, Lou Reed and then some. I ask because no one I mentioned played - at least to my knowledge.

As for Tool, yeah, they have a good thing going and would probably upstage Dream Theater - no small feat. But if you want mind blowing polyrhythms, jazz is the place to go. Art Blakey practically invented polyrhythms in modern western music, and Elvin Jones takes them to another level. I'd recommend any record with Elvin, which includes a lot of great Coltrane.

I love a little jazz, don't know who's who though >.>. I like Benny Goodman thought Dave Brubeck, I hear he is quite good with polyrhytms.
0 Replies

Seres

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:27 pm
@Aedes,
Juanes

Amazing lyrics, extremely catchy, not to mention a great voice...

He's got some great meaning songs (La Vida es un Ratico, Que Pasa, La Historia de Juan) and some very politically minded songs about the civil unrest in Colombia promoting peace (Suenos, Que Pasa)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:50 pm
@Seres,
Quote:
I love a little jazz, don't know who's who though >.>. I like Benny Goodman thought Dave Brubeck, I hear he is quite good with polyrhytms.

Yeah, jazz is great. I should probably start a thread before we get any further off topic, but just to reply to what you've said - you really can't go wrong with the big names like Coltrane or Miles. Benny Goodman was more big band oriented if I recall; big band jazz is amazing, especially Buddy Rich and records with Louie Bellson. Brubeck is great too, his "Take Five" is extremely popular - you'd recognize the tune. The drummer, Joe Morello, is another one of those legendary players and master of ployrhythms.

Seres - I don't know very much about South American music, but I always like to see musicians use their platform to address social issues. Thanks for the suggestion Smile