Abuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:58 pm
Have you seen the new Abuzz?! Once again they're letting you know by email when a topic of interest comes up!!

( I wonder how long this will last.) :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 27
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:08 pm
New, huh? If it were the old abuzz, everything would would work, and most of us would still be there.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:38 pm
Gimmicks don't make a site. When Abuzz lost ALL its humor, it was time to migrate.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:40 pm
abuzz
Well, it's a whole new notification format. Now we have to see whether the improvement is merely cosmetic. . .

However, given a choice, which thank goodness I don't have to make, I think I'd choose A2K.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:08 pm
Okay for the first time in like a year I glanced over...its working however with quirks. Also has no boundaries as before so great useless things still abound. lovely.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:45 pm
I visit Abuzz infrequently, and plan to stay this course.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:12 pm
You can decorate a toilet, put in gold faucets and marble floors. But no matter what you do, it is still a s---house!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:31 pm
Jeez, Phoenix!

I visit there daily and post almost every day.

Still a place where you can have a decent discussion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:34 pm
Frank- I take a peek from time to time. I find that I have to wade through a lot of garbage, before I can find anything to which I can respond!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:35 pm
Frank, How's the atmosphere over at Abuzz? Many creeps crawling around? When I visit, I see the "most active" Abuzzers not very active, and rarely see old friends in some of my favorite forums.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:40 pm
Frank- I want to to understand where I am coming from. At one time I loved Abuzz. It was my first internet forum, and I threw myself into it. It was very upsetting to me when it turned from a wonderful site, to a place where people became cruel and nasty.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:46 pm
I went over to Abuzz, just to check it out, but there was Frank, lurking in the shadows. I don't know... it just seemed he was up to no good.

I got the hell out of there.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:47 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Frank- I want to to understand where I am coming from. At one time I loved Abuzz. It was my first internet forum, and I threw myself into it. It was very upsetting to me when it turned from a wonderful site, to a place where people became cruel and nasty.

I know what you are talking about Phoenix -- and I agree. I was just busting chops.

I doubt I'll ever give up on Abuzz.

In the meantime, as you know, I usually give as good as I get -- so the flamers really don't bother me. I just have some fun.

There are still the usual crowd of baddies -- but I've had some excellent discussions (and meeting of the minds) with posters over there.

Right now, there are two threads going that are talking about Abuzz in the same terms we are doing here. One by Original Nan and one by ee (elio...)

Everyone seems to be delighted with the physical improvements -- but even the regulars are bothered by the trash.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Frank, How's the atmosphere over at Abuzz? Many creeps crawling around? When I visit, I see the "most active" Abuzzers not very active, and rarely see old friends in some of my favorite forums.

I probably answered all your questions in my response to Phoenix, ci.

Abuzz will never be rid of the goons -- unless someone plugs some bucks in and gets a crew of monitors.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:51 pm
Abuzz
I wonder why Abuzz did come to attract unnecessary meanness. I enjoyed the topics and the discussions when they stayed on topic and didn't degenerate into nastiness. I learned a lot, and had fun, but it did deteriorate.

I'm not involved in many forums, just here, and Abuzz (only occasionally, now) and a computer one that is specifically Windows-oriented, so I don't know whether eventually all such things lose their quality or just plain fall apart. Maybe there's a sort of built-in termination. If so, I hope A2K doesn't have it.

I am glad that so many familiar names took the trouble to switch to A2K; that made me feel at home here from the start.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:41 pm
Tomkitten . . .
Tomkitten - IMHO, what A2K has that ABUZZ lacks is Craven de K. and his staff. They DO make a BIG difference and it's much appreciated by most, if not all, A2K-ers. These folks are the reason that nastiness and meanness don't fly here.

I check my Home Page on Abuzz every day to see if an Interaction has been sent to me for an answer. I've elected to receive a minimal amount of them and seldom look at any other posts there. It's much pleasanter here and the number of Interactions on offer are more than sufficient. Happy messaging!
[/color] Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 08:20 am
Abuzz
Well, Charli, I think you've got it. Craven and his people are key.

I guess Abuzz began to deteriorate when Mary Pope was no longer there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 08:29 am
Tomkitten- Abuzz had a number of paid moderators. They were all laid off. Some stayed on as volunteers. Problem was, that Abuzz was spending less and less manpower on fixing the problems with the site, or even monitoring what was going on there. If there was a problem, whether technical or human, it became very frustrating to have it resolved. Over time, a number of different people were ostensibly supposed to be handling Abuzz, but most of the time, they were nowhere to be found.

As a result, many of the good people left, although there are a small group of old timers who hang on for dear life. Ultimately, the nutjobs and crazies took over Abuzz.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 08:32 am
Eric came to my thread - Digression 41! AND someone zapped a meanie there! Prolly just Eric on the way out...still....
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 11:36 am
The one thing I cannot tolerate on Abuzz is the imposters. I can put up with all the trash and the meanness, as the cost of having a truly free exchange of ideas, but for some reason I cannot extend the same generosity of spirit to those clowns.

The louts win. I retire voluntarily from the fray.

(...and yes, I know we all have unique I.D. numbers there and the imposters only succeed because I am too lazy to continually look up those numbers.)
0 Replies