Anyone else love Dorothy Parker?

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:17 am
LOL! You should find some in the library.... good luck with the SATS!
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:14 am
I know this thread is really old, but I am so angry right now. My older sister knew how much I liked Dorothy Parker's writings, so for my birthday she bought me a book with a lot of her poetry. I didn't even get to read it once... my dad didn't know who she is and wanted to see what kind of writer she was. He read a few of her poems and basically, he only saw her as a psycho. He called her a monster and said I shouldn't read anything that she wrote because he thinks I'll commit suicide because her writing will supposedly depress me. I told him that I don't read her poetry to get depressed, and he only saw that as defiance. He confiscated the book and hid it somewhere. Then he tells me to read the good old classics, which I do anyway! He then asks me if I know what Demian is. I said I read it in sixth grade and that it was recommended to me by my oldest sister. He then gets really mad and demands to know what I remember. I say that I don't remember much, and he says that it's a good thing that I can't remember. He forbids me to read that book, too. But wait... it's a book that was included in the college course at Berkeley when my sister went there. So yeah, I feel like my life is controlled by a dictator.

Thank God that I can always read Dorothy Parker's stuff on the internet.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:34 am
oh dear, how upsetting. I wouldn't waste time in trying to convince your father - it will just upset you all the more and he sounds as though he has a very closed mind.

Just continue reading whatever quietly and without bothering him with the details!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:33 am
Indeed!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
Sententia-What an upsetting post.
If he starts a bonfire...get the hell outta there!
0 Replies

Golden Bough

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm
Welcome to a2k, Golden Bough. That's a good one!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:45 pm
Indeed - welcome!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:58 pm
Dorothy Parker is wonderful for broken hearts.

I was delighted to hear that her ashes had finally been buried. I believe the tombstone features the line she chose: "Excuse my dust."
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
Dorothy Parker is wonderful period!

I first discovered Dorothy in High School many long years ago, and it was her wit not her suicide that intrigued me. She had a sad life, but made brilliant work--sure it's light and fun, but it is soo essentially American. The best part of "American"- witty, poking fun at oneself, smart, clever clever rhymes, and her short stories are sometimes incredibly touching.

Read on as much as you can new folks! The Marion Reade (?) book-What Fresh Hell is This? is really quite something. It used to be how she answered the phone!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:31 pm
I read a whole book about her once, have forgotten most of it. She did have hard times, but covered her sorrows in wit, and, I would guess she wasn't always sorrowful.

But she wasn't always right either. Men do make passes at women who wear glasses...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:59 pm
I'll drink to that!!!

Was the book "What Fresh Hell?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:26 pm
No. I am having a brain fart. What is the series of little green books.... Canterbury Tales, whatever, all done up in a series of about 4 or 5 inches by about seven inches...

Back when I remember.
0 Replies