Internet Makes One Dumber?

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:02 am
The Roman philosopher Seneca may have put it best 2,000 years ago: "To be everywhere is to be nowhere." Today, the Internet grants us easy access to unprecedented amounts of information. But a growing body of scientific evidence suggests that the Net, with its constant distractions and interruptions, is also turning us into scattered and superficial thinkers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575284981644790098.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Or you could look at human behavior as an adaptation to our new environment. Perhaps this way of thinking is more beneficial in an information saturated society.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:23 am
I don't know. I already had all the symptoms they are describing.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:47 am
Couldn't everything you are saying also be said about books?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
@ebrown p,
NEVER NEVER DISPARAGE BOOKS!! If you continue to disparage books any further you'll be placed on notice ... BY ME!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/ip6vc3.jpg
Letty

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgar, the internet doesn't make us dumber just lazier. I don't know about you folks, but most of my education has come from experience and UNLEARNING.

As Binet discovered, it's the nature of our mistakes that helps us to grow mentally.

tsar, I haven't read a book in seven years. I think it comes from saturation, etc.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:38 am
@tsarstepan,
What does he have against Dyslexia?
ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
My point is not to disparage books... it is to point out that the advent of mass-produced books (where great numbers of people suddenly had access to affordable books) was the much the same thing as the advent of the Internet.

When books were suddenly cheaply available, people had easy access to a unprecedented amount of information that wasn't accessible before. Books can also provide a distraction and an interruption (hasn't a book ever kept you from doing something you should be doing).

There is a part of human nature that is scared of progress. There were people who thought that books were bad for society the same way some people now think the Internet is bad for society.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:50 am
@ebrown p,
His ill-boding rice milk thread!
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images/Nosferatu-Shadow.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:54 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

My point is not to disparage books... it is to point out that the advent of mass-produced books (where great numbers of people suddenly had access to affordable books) was the much the same thing as the advent of the Internet.

Um... what year did you get that experimental humerusectomy again?
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
I assume this discussion is open to anyone or everyone? I'm not as educated as most of the people here in a2k, so forgive me if I seem to be a bit on the dense side, but there is a lot to be said for the adage, "all things in moderation". The Internet and the information I glean from it, does wonders for my self esteem, but I can't sit at the computer all day. Books are so portable, and come in very handy when there is nothing worth watching on TV. And books that are on a cassette tape or CD are a great distraction while I am doing kitchen work, or simply knitting.
Btw, I tried to find out the meaning of humerusectomy using dictionary.com and "no dictionary results" was their response.
I think A2K is the best place I can find for intelligent 'light relief' when the TV fails me, I have no emails from anyone for me to write back to, and I can't think of anything to "google". It beats blogging too. In fact it is the best thing since sliced bread thanks to you all. Viva la Internet.
Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
Drillersmum wrote:
Btw, I tried to find out the meaning of humerusectomy using dictionary.com and "no dictionary results" was their response.

Well, Tsar, in his attempt to humor, lost an arm.

It was funny, nonetheless...

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@drillersmum,
drillersmum wrote:

I assume this discussion is open to anyone or everyone?

Welcome aboard dear mademoiselle!

Quote:
The Internet and the information I glean from it, does wonders for my self esteem, but I can't sit at the computer all day. Books are so portable, and come in very handy when there is nothing worth watching on TV. And books that are on a cassette tape or CD are a great distraction while I am doing kitchen work, or simply knitting.

Wonderfully well said! Very Happy Audiobooks are a great source of mental workouts.

Quote:

I made up the procedure for the removal of one's funny bone and ulnar nerve.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@Francis,
Quote:

I sure wish that I had thought to say that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@Francis,
clever little ****, ain't he?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:39 pm
Pssst edgar. I just saw h20's new thread and I think it proves your contention.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:40 pm
@panzade,
I have had that guy on ignore so long, I no longer notice what he does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 04:14 am
0 Replies