In tres partes

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
In my life, I have known very attached-to-a-group religion people (I was one) and blatant scoffers ( I am one, though not entirely, re respect), and middle types.

I have also watched people dart from one side to another, usually with some baggage re justification.

I'd be interested in hearing from the people who have made the move, either way. Thomas Merton wrote a noticible book on this.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 986 • Replies: 5
No top replies

mags314772

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I began as a Catholic, but when the scars became too much for me, I bolted, and for many years, was nothing. Then I joined a Methodist church with a very charismatic and liberal minister. When he was replaced by a Jesus freak, I moved to Unitarian Universalism, and there I stuck. I am now a non-practicing Unitarian who believes there's just GOT to be something more glorious than humankind, although I don't know what that might be at this point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:08 pm
Glad to see ya, mags, and nods to your post.

I don't want to direct posts, I'm more interested in the journeys than any kind of pushing on my part.
sullyfish6

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:19 am
Former Catholic, former Methodist, no longer "christian" in the sense of worshiping Jesus Christ as the son of God, trying to walk the Noble Path of the Buddhist religion, investigating in Unitarian but don't know much about it. (I'd like a 'church family' to belong to)
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@ossobuco,
I don't feel any need to be part of a church group anymore. It seems like, no matter what the codified group, it becomes a matter of politics, too
few volunteers doing all the work. and money. I burned out on all that, but still have a belief in a higher something or other.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 05:32 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I've seen many people transit from one side to another, and many transit from extremes to a general sort of spirituality. Me, I was an intense believer (catholic) who started to question and then one day just dropped it, and when I dropped it, it was complete. But this doesn't mean that I don't comprehend not dropping all spirituality (though I have claimed that I am a2k's least spiritual person.) I'm interested in stories, not that I want to pull in thousands of conversion stories, or drop stories. More that I'm interested in people who have changed and how it affected general takes on life, in either direction.

Re people to mention, a friend of my father's was a submarine captain and high up on the organization of the bikini bomb tests along with my father. He was in his forties... and not long thereafter, became a jesuit seminarian, later jesuit. I don't know, though, that he was without belief or semi belief before that.
0 Replies