Albums that give you a contact high

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:39 am
"Hmmmm - I used to see music like that with NO drugs - when I was a kid. I miss it. It was cute."

This quote from our very own smoking bunny, taken from Wilso's truly intriguing drug and alcohol thread inspired me to start this thread...sans inebriation, which albums give you a contact high, just from the groove?

I'll list a few:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace
Slow - Against the Glass EP
Metallica - And Justice For All

I'm sure I'll think of more. Please share...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,781 • Replies: 55
No top replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
Beethovens Ninth
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:57 am
Abbess Hildegard von Bingem - Ordo Virtutum
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:49 am
"The Who Sell Out" starting with that supersonic guitar sound Townshend somehow created on "Armenia". Also puts me in another place--immediately.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:49 am
Beethoven's Ninth... yes, yes, yes, YES.
Here are some from the genre Misspent Youth, West Coast.

WHITE BIRDhttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000DPF.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SHE HAS FUNNY CARS -gee, never knew the name 'til now Shocked http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005RDCA.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SUMMERTIMEhttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000K2W1.01._PE17_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ALABAMA SONG (Whisky Bar)http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002I25.01._PE17_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:50 am
Wow, Piffka, White Bird! That song sums up my early years in the NW, some 30 years ago. Thanks for the memory!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:51 am
Pink Floyd "Meddle"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:56 am
Meddle, I think is my favorite Pink Floyd album, especially when it comes to contact high...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:59 am
Piffka! I'm flashing!! Were we together in the sixties? WHITE BIRD!!! and the rest!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:31 pm
Fealola, I think we might have been ~ Laughing ~ in which case we had some wild times. Maybe you remember some songs on this album...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002J0P.01._PE26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm thinking Whiter Shade of Pale must be on the Meddle album but I'm too lazy to check.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:40 pm
Thelonious Monk, "Himself," even though he was crazy, not stoned.

Hendrix Experienceienceience, Electric Ladyland -- but that's probably just sense memory...

Anything by (Rahsaan) Roland Kirk. (A producer put together a eulogy sound collage for Kirk that including the blind horn player saying, "When I die I want to have my ashes put in a bag, with hash and pot, and have everybody smoke it." Amazing the way he continued to record stuff after his stroke -- got a lot more conceptual, a lot more stripped down, a lot more basic. But "Inflated Tear" was before that, when he still had full command of himself, and that album is a trip... Highly (er, HIGHly) recommended...)

The Stones, Beggar's Banquet -- it just sounds like being stoned in the morning with a day full of nothing ahead. To me, anyway...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:41 pm
whiter shade of pale was on the Procal Harem lp
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:46 pm
Pifka, I was going to mention that CSN album-- Wooden Ships! (that's a high. Airplane did it too) I marched down the isle to Whiter Shade of Pale. (The tune is actually Bach).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:00 pm
fealola wrote:
I marched down the isle to Whiter Shade of Pale. (The tune is actually Bach).

YES!!!

(Fealola -- I am totally impressed in italicized indigo!) I want to hear more about your wedding.

Embarrassed Thanks, Dys... Procul Haram, duh.

patiodog wrote:

it just sounds like being stoned in the morning with a day full of nothing ahead. To me, anyway...
Hmmm, not that I've ever.......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:08 pm
The band was Procol Harum (sorry to be pedantic about spelling). I loved their album "A Salty Dog"--great tunes.

And while we're in that era, how about the Incredible String Band? "The Hangman's Beautful Daughter"--the title of the album alone give me chills. Evokes an entire era for me...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:10 pm
Bloomfield/Kooper Superssion-Season of the Witch

Rod Stewart/Every Picture Tells A Story

Traffic
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:13 pm
My wedding was pretty traditional. But I wanted Whiter Shade of Pale. Only my friends and I knew the intention was not Bach. It's "Our Song". We also had Ode to Joy from Beethovens Ninth.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:14 pm
"Dear Mr. Fantasy"--loved it!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:41 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
The band was Procol Harum (sorry to be pedantic about spelling). I loved their album "A Salty Dog"--great tunes.

And while we're in that era, how about the Incredible String Band? "The Hangman's Beautful Daughter"--the title of the album alone give me chills. Evokes an entire era for me...

Perfectly fine to be pedantic... I knew that spelling looked funny.

Fealola -- That makes it even better, a secret!

Did we forget the Beatles? The first time I heard "Hear Comes the Sun" on the radio we were in a VW bug racing down the freeway towards the sunset. The announcer loved it so much he played it three times in a row.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:21 pm
I also remember the first time I heard "Abbey Road". It was a night when many of my friends got on a bus from our campus in Upstate NY to ride to DC for a massive anti-war protest. I was going through an apolitical phase, so I stayed on campus, ingested something with a friend, and listened to the campus radio station debut that album. Heady times, for sure...
0 Replies