boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
@gungasnake,
You're wrong.

They even practiced doing it. Then they did it for real. They knew.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:47 am
@gungasnake,
oh please.

900 people all decided to gather together at an appointed time and place to have a little glass of high fructose corn syrup, colored with red dye #5?

You can't get 5 people going out to lunch to all order the same beverage, and we're supposed to believe 900 all decided to drink the same thing, at the same time?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
wait a minute....ridiculous digression alert.....I call stopsies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:06 am
Sorry, chai.

I didn't mean to sidetrack things. My point was that if having 12 people willing to die for you increases your credibility then Jim Jones was 7,500 times more credible than Jesus.

Anyway.....

I would love to see a followup on those "Jesus Camp" kids. Or better yet, I'd like to see one of them in real life, back at the time the film was made. I have a bit of experience with putting kids in front of cameras -- the camera changes things.

Like you, I'm a "nothing" religiously: not an atheist, not an agnostic, not a believer. I wish I could believe. I think it would be comforting.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@boomerang,
I didn't mean you!

I meant the very idea that Jim Jones followers didn't know what they were doing....yikes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I would love to see a followup on those "Jesus Camp" kids. Or better yet, I'd like to see one of them in real life, back at the time the film was made. I have a bit of experience with putting kids in front of cameras -- the camera changes things.

After watching Jesus Camp, I googed Becky Fisher, that kid preacher.

The camp was closed down shortly after the doc was made "to protect the children"

So much for soldiers of Jesus.

In the beginning, when the kids were singing/dancing with camo paint on, and the chanting (led by Fisher) of "THIS MEANS WAR, THIS MEANS WAR", and Levi, the boy with the rat tail, talking about being in the army of Christ (or similar) was all fine and good, as long as there was no real threat.

Not, of course to say, anyone should be endangered.

That's the point, why should Anyone feel endangered, either physically, mentally or emotionally, because they don't believe the same as you?

I felt endangered watching that doc.
boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:28 am
@chai2,
I felt endangered too in light of what Mo might be facing at school!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
@chai2,
Wow...so many issues here!

chai2 wrote:

But, if it's JUST anthropomorphism, a trick of the mind, then it is not the truth.
That's saying it would be a nice idea to have the figure of a man invented, so it would be easier to worship.

I don't see anthropomorphism as a "trick of the mind." I think it's a valid way we relate to things. Much in the same way that artists have always portrayed historical figures in the dress and settings of their (artists') times in order to make them relevant to their audience. It doesn't lessen the basic truth...it makes it more understandable. So it's a good thing.

If the interpretation of God changes as one becomes an adult, then is Jesus just something that should be used with children, like Santa Claus? Santa is real to many children, but as they become adults, it's realized Santa is just representative of an idea of...I dunno, I never believed in Santa myself, but something like generousity, celebration, etc?

Should believers outgrow their belief in Jesus? I would say no. In terms of faith development, a believer's understanding of Jesus changes and matures in the same way their concept of God (a Supreme Being) changes.

djjd came to different conclusions while star gazing, but we don't argue with other over it. I don't claim that he will be damned to eternal punishment by this energy, for not conceiving of it as I do.

What you are really asking is "Why do people argue?" We argue over E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Damned if I know why. We can't agree on whether round or flat toothpicks are better...why do you think religion should be exempt?!

I don't see why any religion tries to convince someone from another to believe as they do, or else.....Well, yes I do see, it's about the power....but, in the sense of finding your own spiritual way, or not, what does it really matter.

You might as well ask why people of one political party try to convince those from another to believe as they do. Or why Americans think democracy should be everyone's system of government. Or a hundred other examples. Once people believe they have found "the truth," they naturally voice it and try to get others to come on board. That's how humanity works (or doesn't.)

Whether what an individual believes (or not) is correct/incorrect/partly correct or incorrect, etc. does not change what the reality is.

Agreed!

There is only one reality, although all of us carry our own version of it around in our head. Why try to convince another that your version of it is more valid than anyone elses?

Actually, there are an infinite number of realities so why try to convince another that the one you believe you live in is more valid than the others?

So, which is it? I think you've hit upon the central question.

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:03 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
After watching Jesus Camp, I googed Becky Fisher, that kid preacher.

The camp was closed down shortly after the doc was made...

GOOD!!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i was also very enamoured of the alien abduction story, i'd lay in bed and try my best to contact any beings that might be out there, i was more than open to the idea being "Taken" (maybe that was the problem, maybe they don't want you if you wanted to go)

in the end i had the same disappointment and disillusion i felt with religion

damn you aliens
COMPLAIN to the I.N.S.!!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:22 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

There is only one reality, although all of us carry our own version of it around in our head. Why try to convince another that your version of it is more valid than anyone elses?

Actually, there are an infinite number of realities so why try to convince another that the one you believe you live in is more valid than the others?

So, which is it? I think you've hit upon the central question.

When I say infinite number of realities, I mean there are an infinite number of universes that phsically exist.

I don't mean there are an infinite number of realities because each individual preceives things differently.

Anthropomorfism is not reality. It's projecting our fantasties, morals, fears, joys etc onto a real object.

Because I call my cat Mr. kitty and claim he likes to watch scary movies does not make it so. It proclaims my like, or dislike, of scary movies.

Anthro...is a blanket, a comforter, batting that keeps us from what really is, for various and sundry reasons.

I live in the reality of this universe, where my consciousness is, my energy. If you believed that Jesus is merely a projection of certain attributes onto a person that did not exist, or, if he did exist, was mortal, why would one devote so much of their energy to him?

The difference between arguing over flat toothpicks over round (I have no preference) and whether on belongs to the group with the correct beliefs, can literally be a matter of life and death. Or the difference between happiness and feelings of unremitting guilt.

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
When I say infinite number of realities, I mean there are an infinite number of universes that phsically exist.

Agreed.

I don't mean there are an infinite number of realities because each individual preceives things differently.

Okay, got it. We agree again.

Anthropomorfism is not reality. It's projecting our fantasties, morals, fears, joys etc onto a real object.

Because I call my cat Mr. kitty and claim he likes to watch scary movies does not make it so. It proclaims my like, or dislike, of scary movies.

Anthro...is a blanket, a comforter, batting that keeps us from what really is, for various and sundry reasons.

The dictionary definition of anthropomorphism is "attributing human characteristics to a god, animal or thing." Projection is "unconscious transfer of feelings, etc., to external objects or persons." They are two different things. I think you're trying to combine the two. It's quite possible to anthropomorphize something without projecting, just as it is possible to project without anthropomorphizing. For example, if I give my God human characteristics, it in no way suggests that I have given that God my own morals, joys, fears, etc.

I live in the reality of this universe, where my consciousness is, my energy. If you believed that Jesus is merely a projection of certain attributes onto a person that did not exist, or, if he did exist, was mortal, why would one devote so much of their energy to him?

I wouldn't! That is not what I believe.

The difference between arguing over flat toothpicks over round (I have no preference) and whether on belongs to the group with the correct beliefs, can literally be a matter of life and death. Or the difference between happiness and feelings of unremitting guilt.

Religion has certainly been misused, you'll get no argument from me on that. Much religious argument is no more important to me than flat vs. round toothpicks. As much as possible, I choose not to let it affect me. I have no use for guilt, either. It's against my religion. Wink

A lot of horrendous things have happened in the names of various religions (usually contrary to their basic principles, I might add.) But an untold number of wonderful things have happened, too. I think some people would rather dwell on the negatives as a means of justifying their own disbelief. And I can certainly understand that.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:13 pm
Why do people do something awful or wonderful in the name of something else?

Never got that.

Why not just do something wonderful, or kinda nice, or average, for the sake of doing it?
Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:27 pm
Why?

Justification, that's why.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:32 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Why do people do something awful... in the name of something else?

Because they're convinced that causing a short-term pain will result in a long-term (eternal!) reward.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Why?

Justification, that's why.

People need to justify doing something nice?

They don't do something just....because?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:02 pm
Aren't you married?! <lol> OF COURSE people have to explain why they do what they do...whether it's good or bad!
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:25 pm
@Eva,
So, if I let someone in front of me in traffic, or hold the door open for someone, help them pick papers off the floor...I have to have a reason?

I have to explain, justify it to others, or myself?

That's....ludicrous
Robert Hagedorn

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:44 pm
The original sin was anal intercourse. For the exegesis, google the first scandal Adam and Eve. Then click, read the 20 posts, and comment. You won't like what you read. That's a guarantee. So there must be something wrong with the exegesis. But what's wrong with it? When you discover what's wrong, with whom will you share your discovery?