The Dawn of Blade Runner Is Upon Us!!

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:07 pm
Okay maybe not. Or at least not quite yet.
http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10301

Quote:
The Navy brought more than ships and sailors to New York for Fleet Week this year. Meet Octavia -- the Navy's humanoid robot. Greg Trafton, section head of intelligent systems at the Naval Research Laboratory, introduces Octavia and describes the challenge of designing a robot that acts like a person. produced by flora lichtman.

What is taking the development of an actual intelligent AI and robots so long?

Is it me or are we getting are tuchas kicked by the Japanese in the robot development arena?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,536 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:41 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It's really really hard.
djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
Hannibal Chew: I do eyes. Just - just eyes. Just genetic design. Just eyes. You Nexus, huh? I design your eyes."

Roy Batty: Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Okay maybe not. Or at least not quite yet.
http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10301

Quote:
The Navy brought more than ships and sailors to New York for Fleet Week this year. Meet Octavia -- the Navy's humanoid robot. Greg Trafton, section head of intelligent systems at the Naval Research Laboratory, introduces Octavia and describes the challenge of designing a robot that acts like a person. produced by flora lichtman.

Is it me or are we getting are tuchas kicked by the Japanese in the robot development arena?

I agree with the statement that it's rather tough. Plus I think there just needs to be more manufacturing out there, more competition and more consumers. But apart from the Roomba, it's not an easy sell for consumers. Everyone can see military and industrial applications. And they may be able to see educational and hobbyist applications. But ... regular consumers? Not so easy, not so fast (and definitely not easy when the economy is still less than optimal). But robots -- perhaps they could be used to help people without roommates, spouses go home from the hospital faster? Imagine a robot capable of grabbing your pills for you, and reminding you to take them? And maybe also always there for you to lean on when you need to get up?
djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:02 pm
uh oh, the newest tweet from @BPGlobalPR

We don't want to alarm anyone, but the robot didn't get stuck. It stopped on it's own accord and grinned at us. #skynet
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

It's really really hard.

I know! I know. But I'm not bright enough to be part of the solution or the development either and I'm just uberimpatient an individual.

I've been poisoned by the imaginations of Hollywood and the brains of far forward thinking science fiction writing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:23 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
But robots -- perhaps they could be used to help people without roommates, spouses go home from the hospital faster? Imagine a robot capable of grabbing your pills for you, and reminding you to take them? And maybe also always there for you to lean on when you need to get up?

Elderly persons can live with robots as medical and housekeeping assistants as well. They can monitor their human companion's vitals, their appetite, and their emotional state as well.

Not as good for the soul and spirit as real human companion but still at least its better then being isolated and alone.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It's already here and I am a prime example, let's play the Turing Test.
0 Replies