High High Heels

Sun 30 May, 2010 06:15 am
I've been noticing that the actresses who come to plug their movies on The Late Show and The Late, Late Show are suddenly as tall as David Letterman and Craig Ferguson, who are both 6' 2". Even women known to be petite tower over mere mortals. What gives?

So, I began watching their feet as they cross the stage . . . they wear incredible shoes with heels that have to be more than the 3 and 1/2" or 3 and 3/4" height. They wear heels that seem as tall as their feet are long. They walk well enough and I haven't seen a twisted ankle, but, I wonder if, as soon as they are off camera, they take off those shoes and run barefoot back to the green room.

I bought the 100 most influential people edition of Time magazine earlier this month. A friend noticed it and asked to look at it. She commented on the photo of sarah palin. "Yikes! What's with the shoes???!!!" The heels were clearly as long as her feet . . . of course, they had platform soles because, otherwise, her foot would be totally vertical.

My feet hurt just thinking about those shoes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 8,002 • Replies: 53
Topic Closed
No top replies

boomerang

Sun 30 May, 2010 08:57 am
Have you ever seen the web site "If Shoes Could Kill"? (http://ifshoescouldkill.com/)

http://chzifshoescouldkill.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/129167852202128584.jpg

CalamityJane

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:23 am
Isn't it awful?
I hope this fad goes away soon. I am 5' 9" and have a hard time finding nice
shoes that just have a small heel. It's either these monster killers or flats.
plainoldme

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:32 am
@boomerang,
That shoe is both hysterically funny and really ugly! Thanks for the link!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:33 am
@plainoldme,
I remember the giant platforms of the early-mid 1970's. I had one pair of shoes that were 5.5 inches at the back, 3.5 inches at the front. Then in the later 1970's, I had some crazy tall black boots with 5" stiletto heels, with chains hanging off the back.

We ran around all over the place in those heels. I'm pretty sure younger women can handle them as well now as we did then.
plainoldme

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:35 am
@CalamityJane,
You're right. It is one extreme or the other.

I remember when platform soles were revived in the 70s. Those shoes broke all the time! I was walking one day and another woman was coming from the other direction and we were thrown off our shoes when we were about 18 inches from each other. I saw that the platform tore away from the main part of the shoe. I asked her whether her shoe just broke and she nodded that it had. She looked upset.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:37 am
@ehBeth,
Oh, I'm certain my balance was better then. I never had shoes that were as high as the shoes you describe, but, I had a pair of rounded toe, t-strap shoes that I loved. The heel was high but thick. I thought they were the last word in fashion.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm pretty sure younger women can handle them as well now as we did then.

That's the problem ehbeth.
We didn't handle them well then, and they aren't handling them well now.

Beside obvious foot/ankle damage, heels throw off the balance, strength, structural integrity of every part of your body.

High heels force your calves, knees, thighs, hamstrings, pelvis, spine, neck, shoulder girdle, etc out of alignment. Then, women compensate by adjusting their stance/walk, making the problem even worse.

Oh, but they look so nice! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Rockhead

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:56 am
the cruel shoes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF5KtX7F7hI
aidan

Sun 30 May, 2010 09:58 am
@Rockhead,
There was a young girl, not to far from here who tripped over her high heels and fell in front of a train not too long ago.

What a sad tragedy that was.
plainoldme

Sun 30 May, 2010 10:04 am
@aidan,
It's really nothing you want to dwell on.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 30 May, 2010 10:04 am
Put on your high-heel sneakers,
wear your wig hat on your head.
Put on your high-heel sneakers,
Wear your wig hat on your head.
I'm pretty sure now baby
'Cause you know, you're gonna knock 'em dead.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 30 May, 2010 10:09 am
@chai2,
I think a lot of them do look good.

I don't wear the mondo heels anymore, but I still wear some quite high heels on occasion. As long as the shoe is comfortable, and looks good (to my eye), I'm wearing it.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 30 May, 2010 10:12 am
Something that just occured to me...

Why do parents spend so much of their time, energy, money, etc etc. making sure their daughters get the best health care, nutrition, exercise possible, but, when their girls reach a certain age, they don't think twice about letting them, nay, encourage them, to buy and use a product that can and will end up causing them pain, injury, limiting functional ability of the body, as well as causing long term and or permanent damage to their legs, pelvis, spine, neck, etc. etc?

Why not just bring back the whale bone corsett, and start binding their feet?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/stesma/ausville-high-heels.jpg
chai2

Sun 30 May, 2010 10:16 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I remember reading "Cruel Shoes" years back.

Made me feel nauseous reading it.

I wish those other girls would STFU while she was reading that.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 30 May, 2010 11:03 am
All I can say it's really hard hauling water from a swamp in 6" stilettos, especially when the last 10' is sand. But you know, they do wonders for my calves.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 30 May, 2010 11:30 am
never got high heels

give me a girl in a pair of running shoes or bare feet any day
dyslexia

Sun 30 May, 2010 11:38 am
@djjd62,
yeah, bare feet and a slit skirt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 30 May, 2010 04:13 pm
I gave up at 4" heels around 1980. Plus, around then, I jogged/ran a lot, and learned about my feet. I have quite high arches, thus increased pressure on the metatarsals, plus my metatarsals don't just roll as easily as some other feetsies do, so landing a step on concrete can be slapping your foot, and miles of steps can really hurt. I enjoyed high heels back then, but don't miss them - I like having healthy feet (that sounds righteous, but is just true). My feet now never prance in very high heels, but they look and work ok with no shoes, all this time later.

The five inch stilettos have been around for several years. I've waited for them to go out, and indeed, flats have come back, but the stilettos are back again this year. Is this aligned with recession?

Many of my friends and relatives have very flat feet. I've had moments of envy, as I think the slapping on concrete thing is less.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 May, 2010 05:19 pm
It's the domination factor and rendering buttocks reasonably taut artificially. It has it's attractions in certain conditions.

1. Forums
  2. » High High Heels
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:31:26