Evangalist, Junior

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:16 pm
@Pemerson,
Such different lives we've had, Pem.
Pemerson

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, I can just imagine that we have. Would be interesting to sit down and talk with you about that. Well, read your book! Now, you could certainly write one that one couldn't put down. You were about to become a nun at some point? Somewhere in my mind I understand why people become nuns. Work, work, pray, pray. Pretty much what I do, except play, play, too.

Both my daughters-in-law are Catholic. One with the two daughters very much so. Her oldest (now 16) is an ultra-sensitive and was talking about the saints when she was but 4, has incredible dreams, wild sort of problems but grew out of them. The Catholic schools just seemed to work for her in early grades--well, maybe because they suggested to her mom she would please leave the school if someone didn't help her behave.

Other dil is Mexican Catholic but they don't go to church at all. That son always said he is an athiest. I asked him recently if he had ever heard of The Course, "A Course in Miracles." He laughed and laughed, then said, "Just by the name of it, how can you ask me such a question?" Actually, it's a 3-inch thick book on Metaphysics, something he would probably understand but he'd have to find that out himself. You see, I don't think we are born a blank slate. Whatever happened to "we don't teach you anything, we can only help you discover it within yourself" that college teachers said to us in the 1970s? I have not taken The Course but I read the first few pages where it was proven that, about most things that bother you, get you frustrated and angry, you can ask yourself, "What has that to do with me?"

Another grandaughter married a Mormon. Since she and her husband and 2 babies were practically starving it was a good thing. The Mormons have their own sorta welfare system and I think they sent her husband to college. They are now rather well off. My sister is a Jehovah's Witness. 'nough said there.

So, osso, I am really not any one particular thing. If I want to know more about something I get a few dozen books on the subject. I am just very grateful that I didn't listen during all those years I sat in a church. Mostly, I messed around with my friends, or sat and thought.

BTW, I just can't fathom children speaking to each other like little evangelists. Maybe religion is being brought out in the open on such a grand scale so the world can get rid of it.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:37 pm
@Pemerson,
Listening. I'm so old that..
my first year in college was in '59, at Mount St. Mary. I need to look that up, as it is hard for me to believe even the name.. But those were the cool nuns, in contrast to my high school, so a good transition.
The next year I went to UCLA, and the world cracked open.
dancerdoll

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:48 pm
yes,actually they are taught to tell people about God,but not to hurt others feelings...do you believe? It is really good to let the child know God is there when ever he is sad..you dont have to go all crazy with it just tell him who God is and have him pray at night or at supper...i hope this helps Smile
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:54 pm
@ossobuco,
But, back on Mo. I find the scenario both fascinating and scary, but, as you could tell, I may be super sensitive.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, yeah. And I was a waiter at the Last Supper.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:04 am
@roger,
You passed the napkins?

oh, wait, the burgers..

dammit, roger is going to be mad at me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:46 am
@boomerang,
Is Mo a militant atheist?
I have known some very hostile ones.

I have never had anyone try to impose any theology upon me.
I have never cared about anyone else 's religious opinions
(except maybe the Moslems on 9/11/1) and I still don't.
Its a personal matter.

I 'll just super-briefly mention that atheists who have survived death www.IANDS.org in hospitals
(defined as no EEG, no EKG and no respiration for a while) have reported some problems post-mortem.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:35 am
Mo's only 9, he is a militant anything.... except maybe a militant shark lover. He tells everyone about sharks. People probably want to give him the **** off/face punch when he gets started on sharks.

I don't try to sway him one way or the other in regards to religion. I've offered to take him to church so he can see what it's all about but he thinks it sounds boring.
boomerang

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:45 am
@dancerdoll,
dancerdoll, I really don't get why people would tell sad kids that God is there. If you tell a happy kid that God is there I'll bet they'd have a much better attitude about God.

Also, I don't get the okay-ness of kids asking "do you believe...."

If we were Hindu would it be okay for Mo to wander the playground running down the list of Gods and asking kids if they "believe"?

Mo has a prayer rug from Iraq, brought to him by my Catholic brother. If we lay on that and read the Upanishads would that count as prayer in your view?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:26 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
One (A) is agnostic/ Buddhist/ Joseph Conrad pantheist...

You use that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Perhaps you meant "Joseph Campbell pantheist?"
sozobe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:31 am
@joefromchicago,
Ha! I was typing fast. Yes, I meant Joseph Campbell. (I made up the phrase as far as I know, and have a stack of Campbell books...)
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:55 am
The threat of Hell should be treated like the threat of a gun to your back: Even if the person doesn't have a gun, the threat being made is a hostile action in itself. I'm of the Chris Hitchens' school of thought on this matter in particular. Telling someone they are going to Hell is a threat and psychological torture.

A
R
Torture
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 02:20 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Mo's only 9, he is a militant anything.... except maybe a militant shark lover. He tells everyone about sharks. People probably want to give him the **** off/face punch when he gets started on sharks.
I was in New Orleans in 2005, with a convention.
Some of us visited the New Orleans Aquarium; this was in early July.
Along the walls of the corridors, there were groups of children,
about that age who were lecturing about sharks, some of whom
had "show and tell" with shark's teeth and some with living sharks.
Thay let me pet a shark, who was lying upside down. He seemed happy.

David
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 02:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Now there's something I've never done!

Cycloptichorn
Pemerson

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Do kids learn this at church -- that they should try to get others to believe? I know some adults who are always trying to evangalize and testify and bring people into the flock -- but kids!?

Really, what's up with this?

Little kids are such strange beings, who knows where they get some of the things they say? When my two boys were about Mo's age one of my friend's son had one of those "preacher" kids who donned a little white suit and stood up at the podium in his parents' church and screamed like a totally mad adult. I found it rather frightening but the parents were so, so proud. This kid was never really right as he matured. Way too serious about everything. He didn't like his parents. Nobody should do this to their kids at that age, leaving them no choice. It's stupid and cruel.
Maybe you could just laugh about it, maybe Mo could laugh at...those silly kids!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Now there's something I've never done!

Cycloptichorn
I was surprized to find out
that sharks who r upside down, with their mouths above
the surface of the water, are able to BARK. Thay sound like dogs.

boomer, u might like to pass that fact along to Mo.

David
0 Replies

Pammie K

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:03 pm
@boomerang,
Wow- that sounds crazy. I am a Christian and thought I would offer some insight. I can try to answer some questions for you if you would like. I am not going to get all ... pushy or silly about what I believe as truth. So a safe place to ask questions and not get jumped.
We believe that the Bible is the word of God. The Bible states that all humans are sinful and seperated from God. Jesus came to earth to fix that. He died on the cross to pay for our sins. If a person turns from their sin and accepts Jesus as their "Salvation" or basically HE (Jesus) has paid for their sins with His death. Jesus is the way to restore the friendship/relationship with God that has been broken by our sins. If a perso does not accept Jesus as their savior then they themselves will have to pay for their sins.
The Children in your child's class may have a sense of urgency toward other children in this matter because- If a person is required to pay for their own sins then when they die here on earth they will go to Hell- a place seperated from God. Basically a place that would be the opposite of all things Good.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:56 am
@Pammie K,
Hi Pammie, I appreciate your views and bring some questions with me Very Happy, does acceptance of Jesus require action or deeds on the acceptors part? and can a man once saved lose his standing? I understand death pays our sins, however if we also subscribe to Jesus death we are owed a life back, how is this repaid?
0 Replies