.org vs .com

JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:07 pm
I'm not complaining, just curious. How come A2K can use the .org designation when it accepts advertisements? I thought that was for not for profit websites.

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:10 pm
@JTT,
First, just because it has ads doesn't mean it's non-profit. I know that Robert was losing money for a long time, not sure if that has changed or not (and if it has, you can still be a non-profit that uses such funds for operating expenses, staff et al).

But more than that, there is nothing official about .com and .org. You don't have to like go through the IRS or something. You just choose one of those (or .net or whatever) when you buy the domain.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:11 pm
You forgot that many a non-profit organisation makes ads...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:13 pm
@JTT,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.org

Registrations in the org are processed via accredited registrars worldwide. Anyone can register an org second-level domain. Although org was recommended for non-commercial entities, there are no restrictions to registration. There are many instances of org being used by commercial sites. org was also commonly recommended for use by individuals, although name and info are now alternatives. According the company's Dashboard (Domain Name) report, the composition of .ORG is diverse, including cultural institutions, associations, sports/teams, religious, civic, open source software (such as Wiki, Drupal, Joomla), schools, environmental initiatives, social/fraternal organizations, health, legal services, clubs and community volunteer groups. There are also cases where companies or organizations have created sites under .ORG for crisis management.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:16 pm
Thank you. How do I select you all?
0 Replies