What do you do with all those books you've read?

msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:51 pm
@djjd62,
That's very good going for you, djjd. I'm very impressed.
(I have read your contributions to the book thread/s here & I actually thought there'd be a whole lot more books hovering around your home. Wow, I man with a mission! Smile )
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
We all vary. In my case, if I can't read, I die.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:55 pm
@msolga,
i've given lots of books away and there are still too many - of course , i've also bought more books .
haven't bought a new book in ages , but plenty of almost new " old " books .
often they are sold at 3 for $5 - many of them seem never to have been opened .

i am a grazer/browser and often have three or more books on the go .

i have a few old german books that i keep going back to - guess i'll keep them for a while longer .

guess it's time to " retire " - usually read for about an hour before i turn the light out - it's an old and time consuming habit ( should do exercises instead ) .

( btw there are about 200 books in the house - about twenty scattered around my bed - the shame of it !!! )

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:55 pm
@msolga,
despite spendius opinion of audio books, i also have a large collection of those, another 200 or so, some of those have been mentioned on the book thread
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm sorry, I somehow missed your post earlier, Butrflynet.

Quote:
Before I moved to Albuquerque, I donated all my hardcover books to them too because I refused to lug them around to yet another house so they could collect dust on the shelves.

I take it that was a fairly big operation, involving many books?

I can understand you not having the time to read lately. You've been incredibly busy, I know.

I hope you get the opportunity to indulge yourself a bit more, soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:58 pm
Gotta go now. And get ready to go get my haircut. I will return later, a new woman. (I hope!) Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:25 pm
I'm thinking the collection of books in one's home is basically an image/identification issue. other than reference materials, the basic amassing of "books" actually says nothing about the person collecting/displaying them beyond their personal need to display themselves as an extension of their books.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:33 pm
It's like a few books are an extension of myself. I don't go long without them. Books I still dip into or reread and certain ones that I possibly will never read again provide me emotional comfort.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Generation of Vipers?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:46 pm
@dyslexia,
I do have Generation of Vipers on the shelf. Of Wylie's works, the ones I like best are , An Essay on Morals, Opus 21, Finnley Wren.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:48 pm
I think I mentioned once on here that at age 18, I discovered Wylie and developed a father fixation, since there was no good father figure in my life.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree Edgar, there are about 12 books that I always keep near because I value them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:04 pm
@dyslexia,
Right, just as you think someone might who might like a glass of scotch is all about image.

So you think books are for display.

I understand you lost your books. Don't devalue them.

I , if you will let me in,
roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:09 pm
@msolga,
I hang on to everything from Kipling, Steinbeck, and Heinlein. No special value, but I don't guess Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold and Waldo and Magic Incorporated would be easy to replace.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,

I seen to have an arrow which purports shutting my screen down - probably all from my end. Back to argue another day...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Good grief, what is this skiparoo happening,,,
roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know, either. I saw two of your posts with about enough space for three pages of, well, nothing. Don't be upset, but I thumbed them both. I ran out of room on the scroll bar to follow them to the end.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:23 pm
@roger,
I have no idea. It's like the site went mad.
Can we talk again?
I'm not opset (aka, upset),

we can yammer at each other tomorrow?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:26 pm
the next book i buy (I can't wait) will be Stuart Brand's Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Un huh. It was the space, not the posts.
0 Replies