What do you do with all those books you've read?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:01 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Me, too. I'll give them to a fiend if the book "mattered" to me, but I doubt I'll read it again.

http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/webingres/bedfordshire/vlib/0.information_reference/0.images/bunyan_comp_fiends.jpg
So how many fiends do you know? How did you get to know them? How did you start this book exchange based relationship?
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha!

Didi I say that? Surprised

Yes, I did!

Well, fiends have to read, too, ya know!

And it helps get rid of the book clutter, too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:07 pm
@msolga,
Yeh, I sold books to the local, at least one really good one, a Hockney. The books I'll put online for sale now will hurt.

On packs, I sent twenty three packages of books here to NM after I culled my books.
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:12 pm
Keep 'em . . . then read 'em again . . . and again . . .
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Yeh, I sold books to the local, at least one really good one, a Hockney. The books I'll put online for sale now will hurt.

Mainly art books, osso?

I found it quite painful to sell quite a few of those, too.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:15 pm
Boxes and boxes of all my Celtic books, my serious literature, my Simone de Beauvoir books, my English history books in closets . . . desperately need book shelves.
panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:18 pm
I check 2 or 3 books a week out of the library. No muss no fuss.
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:20 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Keep 'em . . . then read 'em again . . . and again . . .

Yes, I do read some again & again, Set.
(Now I'm not being morbid or anything, but, not being a spring chicken ...) I've taken to thinking about how long I might be hanging around on this planet. And how many books it's actually possible to read & re-read in that time. That's pretty sobering thinking. And it means that I'm now a lot more selective about the books I buy & it actually makes it a lot easier to off-load the ones I doubt I'll ever read again. (though there's a bit of room for improvement on this one! Wink )

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:23 pm
many ways to move books around, used bookstores sometimes, lend to tai chi, we donate a lot of books, and have been culling shelves this last year

last spring we took 7 or 8 good sized boxes to a not-for-profit bookstore about 2 1/2 hours from us (a nice drive and we get to stop at the herb farm and the honey shop along the way), the book store is run from an old motel that a retired school librarian rents (his contribution), books are donated and a staff of volunteers man the shop (from 2 pm to 5 pm 7 days a week), all money goes to help purchase supplies for education in developing countries (especially haiti as a trip there gave the librarian the idea)

last fall we donated another 8 or 9 boxes of books to a charity book sale for the diabetes foundation, in the winter about 12 boxes went to a charity sale that benefited the local food bank, and about a month ago another 10 boxes to a charity sale that benefits local reading programs
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:24 pm
@plainoldme,
I think undertaking a woodworking course (to learn to make bookshelves yourself) might be an excellent idea, POM! Smile

Either that, or become a ruthless recycler.

Whichever is the most realistic option! Smile
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:26 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
I check 2 or 3 books a week out of the library. No muss no fuss.

No buying at all, panz?

You are so strong! So sensible! Very Happy

Yep, the library (a 5 minutes walk away) is definitely a lot more attractive to me these days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:31 pm
@panzade,
That's nice, you have library access. There is near zero re our area here unless you have a car. Don't get me going. The bus system is something like 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., all bad for me, much of the year,

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:35 pm
as for books i keep

tons of graphic novels, a hodge-podge collection of alice in wonderland books (including a latin version), a couple of versions of johnathon carrolls land of laughs, my ee cummings collected poems and the collected poems of stevie smith, a mix of wodehouse, 4 copies of a clockwork orange and much much more
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:37 pm
@msolga,
No, I sold whole author's worth, for little. My take was that place might have had clients who might have been interested in the books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:38 pm
@msolga,
Not mainly art books.
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:40 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
many ways to move books around, used bookstores sometimes, lend to tai chi, we donate a lot of books, and have been culling shelves this last year

That's around 17 boxes full, djjd! AND to a not-for-profit books shop! Surprised

Well done!

Excellent!

(Not to put a dampener on the situation or anything, but ..) could you give us some idea of what quantities of books are still left in your home? Wink

And which varieties of books have you chosen NOT to off-load?
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:41 pm
@msolga,
Ah, you beat me to the punch, djjd.

Answered my last question before I'd even asked it! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Not mainly art books.

No?

Mainly literature, then?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:43 pm
When I was living in Sacramento, I donated my paperback books to the local branch library's book sale events. That way they made some badly needed money from them and people were able to purchase them for less than $1 each.

Before I moved to Albuquerque, I donated all my hardcover books to them too because I refused to lug them around to yet another house so they could collect dust on the shelves.

So far, I haven't accumulated many books here. Haven't been on a reading jag in a long time... too many other things that need doing around here.
djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:43 pm
@msolga,
i'm probably down to less than a couple of hundred books (not including the graphic novels (add another 100+)

my moms down to around the 500+ mark