Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:38 pm
Interesting story to me, an apparent long term credentials fraud but one so intricate that I wonder if the fellow needs psychiatric treatment, at the same time I figure his being caught and paying his dues legally for the apparent offenses would be a good thing.

Also interesting that the school wouldn't catch it until now, which I can understand, since so many students who apply to Harvard actually do have perfect grades.
story here: Bail set at $5K in alleged Harvard student scam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,892 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:09 pm
Wow.

If you're going to steal something, a Harvard education is a pretty good thing to steal.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:15 pm
Grand Theft-Education. CEO or Politics?
talk72000

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@boomerang,
GWB did it and no one is after him. It shows he stole by what he did to the US economy. Don't tell me Harvard University taught him to create such a disaster. If he got it legitimately then Harvard University ain't what it used to be. It's just all hype.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:17 pm
@dyslexia,
Actually I knew quite a few athletes who got university degrees for essentially the same thing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
He's no Frank Abagnale, Jr.
boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:26 pm
@DrewDad,
Abagnale was the guest speaker at a business seminar I went to a long time ago. HILARIOUS! He spent an hour and a half telling about his exploits and 5 minutes explaining why it was wrong.

The Saturday Night "Liar Guy" was based on him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:33 pm
@talk72000,
I thought GWB went to Yale. But I could easily be wrong.
roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:34 pm
Who's the real crook?

Registrar's Office
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees from July 2010 through June 2011
Harvard School of Public Health Tuition and Fee Schedule July 2010 - June 2011 (All but HCM SM1 Program)

Per Credit Assessment (full-time and part-time (1) MPH, SM1, SM2, SM60, and summer matriculation students only)
$876 per credit
Full-time tuition for one - year master's degree students (42.5 credits required)
$37,230 per year
Full-time tuition for two-year master's degree students (40 credits per year required) $35,040 per year
Tuition for full-time resident doctoral students
(40 credits per year required)
Full-time, years 1 and 2 $35,040 per year
Full-time reduced, year 3 $17,520 per year
Facilities fee, year 4 to dissertation defense $4,380 per year
Dissertation defense fee $1,933 final semester
Tuition for part-time resident doctoral students (1)
Years 1-4 $17,520 per year
Years 5 and 6 $8,760 per year
Facilities fee, year 7 to thesis defense $4,380 per year
Dissertation defense fee $1,933 final semester
Tuition for non-resident doctoral students $2,422 per year
Dissertation defense fee
(Tuition adjusted to this rate the semester the dissertation is defended, submitted, and voted by the faculty and corporation.) $1,933 final semester
Summer matriculation (2010)
Includes HSPH summer courses, Summer Institute, Clinical Effectiveness, Summer SM in Epidemiology, and doctoral 5-credit research.
$876 per credit
Registration fee
Summer, Spring and Fall $125 per semester
Academic Records fee
One time fee $10

HUSHP Supplemental Insurance coverage (Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Hospital/Specialty and Medco Prescription Drug coverage) (2)
Charged to every resident and full-time non-resident student. Full- and part-time students may waive this fee and this coverage if on-line waiver form is completed prior to August 31st for fall, and February 28th for Spring proving comparable coverage by U.S.-based insurance carrier. $1,788 per year
HUSHP Basic Insurance (formerly called University Health Services Fee/UHS)
Compulsory for all resident students taking more than 10 credits per semester. Part-time students taking 10 credits or less may waive this fee and this coverage if on-line waiver form is completed prior to August 31st for fall, and February 28th for Spring. $1,166 per year
Leave of absence status fee/active file status fee
Students petition for this status prior to start of semester and may not be making degree progress.
$125 per semester
Late registration fee $80

talk72000

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:35 pm
@ossobuco,
He went to Yale and got his MBA from Harvard University - Master of Business Atrocity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:36 pm
@DrewDad,
I'd never heard of him before, eek!

This all sort of reminds me of that kid doing all the burglaries in the northwest.. not yet caught, but with an existing fan base.
talk72000

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
There was a movie about him 'Catch me if you can' starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Frank and Tom Hanks as the FBI inspector after him in a round the world scam hunt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:56 pm
@roger,
I'm the one who went to UCLA for $19.00 fee for my first semester, and $26. for my second. By the time I left, it was up to $76. I could go there because I lived at home, paying for books, clothes, etc. from my 30+ hour work week yielding not much $. Tuition for state universities came later, glad I missed that... I consider myself wildly lucky. I suppose I could have gotten a scholarship, but I'd been turned down w good california scholarship federation creds because my dad had made a bunch of money in a single month period the year before (unemployed the rest of the year, and most of the rest of his years). Dummy never made another attempt at getting a scholarship.

I'm no one to critique the ivy league universities re if they are actually better, other than for connections, than some other schools. In my window of time, anybody with the grades and SATs could get in to UC, and pay the low fees. There was some resentment to another local school, USC, which to us seemed more connections oriented both for getting in and after you got out, not to mention costing much more money.

One of my preferreds (oh, well) is that tuition free universities were prevalent and war materiel less funded.

Off of soap box, onto fraud during school days...

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Two more points :
- back then, the student body was pretty diverse re family incomes. One of my friends, still a friend, was one of eleven kids, in a squeaking money family. I won't say it was diverse re all ethnicities, because schooling in some city and regional areas was lacking.
- that first scholarship I didn't get was for the place I went first, Mt. St. Mary's College, and am now sort of glad I did go there as it worked as a cultural transition from my insular high school to the big university.

enough, back to fraud..
0 Replies