A2K senior citizens - I need input on chair buying

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:28 am
My mom is coming to visit and I need to buy a chair for the guest room. Mom is edging up on 80 and though she has no specific medical condions requiring special seating I want to make sure I get a chair that is both comfortable and easy for her to get in and out of.

I see a lot of "glider" chairs for sale, kind of like this:

http://images.craigslist.org/3nd3k43o65T65W35X6a5h9e071d6063541409.jpg

Is this kind of thing a good option?

Is there a better option?

What things should I look for and look out for?

My only real consideration is that it can't be huge since the room is not very big.

Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 6,548 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:30 am
@boomerang,
gram has a pair of those.

has for long as I can remember...

they work real well.

she's 90.
boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:34 am
@Rockhead,
Thanks!

Does she use the footstool part? It looks more comfortable with it but I was wondering if they're hard to get out of the way when you want to stand up, or to get in place when you sit down.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:45 am
@boomerang,
my chair is like that one only it has padded arms. I like it, easy in, easy out.
boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:48 am
@dyslexia,
Thanks, dys.

Do you like the padded arms? Hard arms seem like they might be better to balance a coffee cup on. I don't know if I have room for a little table....
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:51 am
@boomerang,
I have a very little table, holds one cup of tea and the telly remote. I like the padded arms because I use them for arm rests.
boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:57 am
@dyslexia,
Oooff. Remote. Good point. I'll need a little table.
firefly

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:17 am
@boomerang,
Another important consideration is the height of the chair seat. A slightly higher seat is both easier to sit down on and easier to get up from.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:20 am
@boomerang,
she has one footstool. (guests lose)

there is just enough room for her to get between.

the sturdy wooden arms are a must for getting in and out easily. (she has hip troubles)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:29 am
@boomerang,
The last time that I was faced with this need,
I went to a furniture store and tried out the chairs
and bawt the most comfortable one; purely empirical.
(Since then, other people who 've sat in it have remarked on how comfortable it is.)

I recommend this procedure, if that is convenient.

If it is not convenient, then go to the store and be her surrogate.
Get the best one.

David
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:02 pm
Is she a little woman?

I am and I prefer a smaller, straight back, wrap around back type.

Some elderly people need to lean forward and down to pull themselves out of the chair. I have seen health care workers teaching seniors how to get out of their chairs or couch this way. Head almost down to the knees, then up and out. Something too soft or too deep is difficult to make that first "oomph" out of the chair.

But to be sure, take her with you.
roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:05 pm
@sullyfish6,
That would be my first choice by a country mile. Second would be something very similiar to a dining room chair. Padding is nice. Personally, I do not prefer arm rests.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:24 pm
If she were coming to stay for a long time I'd take her with me to buy a chair but she's just going to be here for a couple of weeks. I don't want to spend one of those weeks furniture shopping and having her make do with something that isn't comfortable.

She's about 5'6" so I think a standard size chair will work. Also, she's pretty nimble -- she just needs a little extra help getting up.

These chairs are looking like a pretty good option. I think I'll go have a look at some!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:31 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
If she were coming to stay for a long time I'd take her with me to buy a chair but she's just going to be here for a couple of weeks. I don't want to spend one of those weeks furniture shopping and having her make do with something that isn't comfortable.

She's about 5'6" so I think a standard size chair will work. Also, she's pretty nimble -- she just needs a little extra help getting up.

These chairs are looking like a pretty good option. I think I'll go have a look at some!
Sit in them, too.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:00 pm
@boomerang,
My observations after a couple of days with hamburger would be - firm chair - solid arms (padded if she's not too filled out) - and a comparatively high seat.

The glider function - not so much. A chair that could move while he's trying to get in or out is NOT good.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:24 pm
@ehBeth,
BBB will be 81 in a couple of months and has many joint and back problems. She has good upper body strength and very little lower body strength.

She needs chairs that don't move and have solid arms so she can maneuver herself to the edge of the chair and then use the arms to leverage herself out of the chair. She also needs them to be higher than the average chair. Lower chairs, or chairs with a lot of soft padding bring her body down so low that she doesn't have enough leg and arm strength to lift herself out.

With that kind of chair, if your mother is a little unsteady on her feet, she may have trouble balancing herself while she's attempting to stand.
Diane

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:17 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer, have you asked you mother what kind of chair she prefers? There are so many different body types and infirmities such as arthritis that need to be considered.

Dys and I both like the small recliners and the padded arms. The arms are quite sturdy, so there isn't any problem with stability They have a footstool so we don't have to pull a handle to raise the foot rest.

Since they are rockers, all you need to get up is to tip the chair down and use the arms to push up.

So many useful suggestions. Now just picture your mother in each one and you should come up with the chair that is particulary right just for your her.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:51 pm
Oops! One more thing--I'm 5'1." If I have to sit in a deep arm chair or sofa, I look like Lily Tomlin's character, Edith Ann, Bronx cheer included. (Anyone here old enough to remember)?

It seems like forever trying to scoot myself out of those monsters. You said your mom is 5'6," so that shouldn't be a problem, but in case she has a hard time getting up, it could be a problem.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:20 pm
I come from a very practical clan.

My mom would be through the roof pissed off if she thought I'd gone out and bought a chair specifically for her to use the three weeks she's going to be here.

I'm asking here because if I asked her she'd be all "NO! Do not go buy a chair for me, you big idiot! Are you crazy?"

Not to mention that asking here gives me tons of great advice and things to consider when chair shopping.

But if she got here and she had a comfortable chair that she thought was my comfortable chair she'd be cool with that.

And she'd be comfortable.

And I love my mom and want her to visit more and stay longer.
Diane

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 08:45 pm
@boomerang,
LOL.

My mom would have made subtly negative comments about the style of the chair and the quality of the upholstery.
0 Replies