Detroit: Who do you love?

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:42 pm
Let's try and stay relatively positive here:

What do you like about Detroit?

I'll start off by saying the DIA, I96, John King books, hamtramck (not actually detroit, but surrounded), lottttss of growth potential.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,646 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:53 pm
@CarbonSystem,
I can't say I have ever been to Detroit so I'll excuse myself from this conversation. But Richard Hamilton is a solid pro in the Pistons. I'll make a bet that if he stays healthy that next year will be his breakout year of dominance in the Central Conference.
CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah rip is great, I got to a game this year, they won too.
Sports around here are hit or miss, but mostly just miss.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:06 pm
@CarbonSystem,
We can only hope that some kind of economic boom hits the City and the citizens of Detroit (sooner rather then later). And not just crappy minimum/benefitless service jobs either.

Perhaps they can start to mimic the recent success of Pittsburgh ~ economic and cultural wise.
CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Perhaps they can start to mimic the recent success of Pittsburgh ~ economic and cultural wise.

That's precisely the place they need to look to. Detroit needs to step wayyyy ahead, instead of playing catch-up, they gotta be first. At least near first, green city. It's the largest salt mine, and the great lakes too, that much nature around will inevitably help a green, eco friendly agenda, so to speak. There's so much to be gained. Cheap buildings, lots of parking.
Public transport is a huge issue too. I want to see a detroit that helps join blacks and whites. the segregation keeps holding the city back.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:31 pm
Although I have lived most of my life I New England, I was born in Detroit, went to MArygrove College and then Wayne STate for grad school. I was one of those professional people -- black and white -- who dedicated themselves to living in Detroit. I knew Dennis Archer, the former mayor, but not well.

I moved away in 1976. I am sorry that the city just never seems to pick itself up, dust itself off and start all over again!

There are paintings in the DIA that I miss.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:56 pm
I've heard reports of a plan to start bulldozing the vacant burned buildings, of which there are thousands.
This would be good, anyone heard of it?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:59 pm
Yes, there are now empty lots throughout the city.
0 Replies