Yahoo IM and the lack of support

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:58 am
Hello,

I have read many of the replies posted to other users request for help with yahoo. I am very impressed with the knowledge and ability to help others Craven has expressed, as well as other members.
I am in hopes anyone would extend the same hospitalilty to my situation. I have tried many avenues to fix my problem and nothing has worked.
I have much the same problem as a few others have had. I cannot get into Yahoo IM. I am able to view, send email with my yahoo email account. I use Yahoo IM ( well I did ) to stay in contact with loved ones serving in the Armed Forces Overseas. I updated my yahoo IM and it hasnt worked since. I have tried to uninstall and install again (many times), didnt work. I have deleted it from all aspects of my computer. I am able to ude my log on with the online BETA version and I can log on with my user name from other computers and all is well. However, when I try to download YIM I get the following message during installation;
"An error has occured while trying to connect to the server (error 25) This could occur if you do not have an active connection to the internet or your proxy settings are not valid."
I have emailed Yahoo help (without all CAPS =) as I read in another posting) and I still get the same automated reply. I don't think they have a customer service center with humans manning the support. Their reply is to change the proxy, firewall, auto detect settings, no LAN settings. I have tried all the above ways and I still can't correctly install the IM. I have cable internet and everything else on my computer works fine. I am aware there are other ways to IM and chat with family or friends online. However, as I stated before, my loved ones use YIM. It is very important to me to get back in, if I can.
If there is any help/assistance/advice you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,
Very Happy
Shawna
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,375 • Replies: 21
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:11 am
Hi Shawna,

I wish I had the answer for you, but wanted to say hello and assure you that someone here will probably have advice soon.

I had problems with YM as well when I upgraded, but rebooting worked for me (was fine after that.)

Good luck, and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:28 am
Sozobe,
Thank you for your reply. I truly feel like this is a very helpful place, unlike the chat rooms I entered yesterday looking for advice. Funny how it states they are for support/help and yet I was unwilling to exchange sexual conversation so I didnt really make friends or get advice =)
Again, thanks

Shawna
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:38 am
Hee hee! Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 05:42 pm
shawna,

First of all uninstallung etc probably won't help. If you confirm that you are unable to sign on to Yahoo chat (the web chat) it will confirm that it's nothing on your end.

Yahoo,s help line is almost entirely automated as they simply can't answer all their mail, so it can sometimes be hard to get their attention.

You could be tricky and try to send an abuse report. Say that you think your account has been locked out because someone tried to access it multiple times or something, that might be the only way it gets their attention, be prepared to wait at least a week as it may take a long time for them to get back to you:

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/mesg/cgi_abuse
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:13 pm
Craven,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, i am able to use yahoo chat.

I now understand the help line is mostly automated, however, it would be nice to speak with a person. I am a firm believer there should be friendly "service" person in customer service. I understand I am living with my head in the clouds on that one. I sure am glad there is a place like this to go for help/advice.

I have sent the abuse report. If it is anything like the other reports I have sent them...well lets just say this is not a problem I developed last night. I sent my first email to them on Friday September 12. I am not holding my breath =)
Thanks again,
Shawna
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
You know I just thought of something. I am having the problem when i try to install yahoo instant messanger. Here is what I do;

-Open IE (starts with yahoo)
-then i click on messanger
-then i click on the "Get it now" option
-the page changes to display "The Yahoo! Messenger installation is now downloading and will start automatically.
Please wait....
-The status bar shows "Launching Installation"
- A welcome screen appears stating this program will install YM, press next
-I press next
HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS
-A screen (Titled..."Problem Communicating")pops up it reads as follows;
An error occured while trying to connect to the server (error 25) This could occur if you do not have an active connection to the internet or your proxy server settings are not valid. Yahoo may be able to install by downloading the alternate Yahoo Instant Messanger from http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/ymsgr/ymsgrins.exe To do this click Yes, to exit click no.
I have tried to click yes and use it that way and it will download. Hoever, once I try to log on it displays the status as loging on as lttperfangel..takes a few seconds, and then it says unable to connect. If you are using cable try again. So I press the try again and nothing. Once it gave me the suggestion to change the firewall, proxy settings by changing my preferences, so I tried that. Still nothing.

I am not sure if it is the yahoo account. I dont claim to know much about computer or the internet but if it was the account I shouldnt be able to gain access using a computer other then my own. But then again, I can use my computer to use the online BETA version from Yahoo's site. Does the BETA version and the downloaded version not use the same communication path (sorry but with my limited knowledge I am not sure of the correct term) by path I mean how can I go to the Yahoo page and there is a communication there right? Yet when I try to download/install it cant communicate.

I can really see computer classes in the future for me =)

Thanks in advance,

Shawna
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:46 pm
First of all, if I were yahoo I'd make it very clear not to expect human help for free services, tech support is expensive the only reason the services are free is because they expect you to make so with automated help.

Now can you confirm that you are able to access you messenger account from other computers?

This sounds like their automated response is correct, that your proxy or ISP is at fault (you can try contacting your ISP, of you are paying for it they might be more willing to help you).

BTW, what ISP do you use?
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:04 pm
Craven,

Thanks for your insight. Yes, I can access my messanger account from another computer. I use Comcast as my ISP.

I contacted them about the issue and they said because i have a functioning connection they cannot help me with yahoo related questions.

How would I check or know if it is a proxy issue. Is there a place to go within my computer to check? Do you have one or the other? Or can you have both?

Shawna
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:13 pm
Do you use a firewall? And what version of windows do you use?
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:27 pm
I called Comcast and explained the situation as I have written above. This time they looked at a few other things. I do not have a proxy setting on my computer. "It is an issue with Yahoo" I was told. Then I asked what a firewall is and she asked if I had McAfee or Norton. I do. So I disabled Norton Anti-Virus Auto Protect and she said that should work. Well it didnt. I still get the same error. I have restarted the computer and still nothing.
i use Windows 98

Thanks
Shawna
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:41 pm
DON'T disable Norton AV, that's your anti virus software.

Try this, open Yahoo messenger, press CTRL P and then click on "Connection".

Set it to "No network detection" and see if it works.
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:54 pm
Craven,

I do not currently have Yahoo IM on my computer. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it even with the error message (many times) but I have changed it to "No Network Detection" before and it didnt work either. I use Windows XP if that matters.

And I have enabled the AV again, thanks.

Ready to give up...Shawna
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
Aw, stick with it, Shawna! Again wish I had something useful to offer, but I'm rooting for you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:04 pm
shawna,

Try using trillian to connect to yahoo. Download Trillian.
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:39 pm
I tried it and still didnt work.I went ahead and downloaded the instant messanger but it still will not let me in. I tried to log in using my ID and it goes to the main wondow with the big Y to press login to yahoo. When I press that it very quickly says it is login me in and then it returns to the big Y.
I did download Trillian. It doesnt work there either.
UGHHHHH!!
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:44 pm
Thanks...you guys have been great. I know there are other people with problems/concerns yet you promptly replied to mine. I appreciate it very much. I think I am going to call it a night, duty calls early in the morning.

Sozobe...I cant walk away. i dont have it in me to quit. Guess I can blame that on the Air Force. However, I have had to resist the temptation to throw this computer out the window.
Have a great night.
I will save this battle for tomorrow =)

Shawna
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:51 pm
Sleep well! I have a bunch of mattresses piled outside my window just for when I can't resist that temptation... Razz

It'll work out eventually, I'm sure.
0 Replies

shawna

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 07:27 am
Still nothing....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:14 am
If this is not intentional Yahoo needs to fix something, these log in problems have gotten out of hand.
0 Replies