Fresco's spewing crap-oLa'

Philis

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:26 am
Quote:
Fresco writes,

Some of us might find that somewhat simplistic because it begs the question of the "existence" of a unitary "self". The metaphor of "survival mechanisms" can be understood at the biological level, but the whole "psychoanalysis industry" is based on the overextension of the metaphor to the psychological level. We need only examine pseudo-scientific games at that level (e.g. Self esteem=Successes/Pretensions) in order to make an intellectual evaluation.
[/size]

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:35 am
@Philis,
the use of begs the question beggars belief

otherwise fresco always makes perfect sense to me

oops that may or may not be as complimentary as was my intent
Philis

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:41 am
@oolongteasup,
wellllllllll............U & fresco can be happy together if U both were the last peeps on earth.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:45 am
@Philis,
if we were

we'd have been

feeling a tad tense?

hi philis lovely to meet you
Philis

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:54 am
@oolongteasup,
wellllllllllll.....................now, that is better. Cool
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:30 am
Apologies if my many years here of posting on the use of the word "existence" has rendered my current comments obscure to newcomers. I cite the 2002 thread for those like me who are interested in ontology.
http://able2know.org/topic/1119-1
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:52 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

the use of begs the question beggars belief

Why? Fresco used the term correctly.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:54 am
@Philis,
In a general sense, crap-ola and philosophy frequently go hand-in-hand.
fresco

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:25 am
@rosborne979,
Rosborne,
Smile
No doubt Wittgenstein would have agreed with you with his adage that much of philosophy was "language on holiday".
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:19 pm
@fresco,
And here's a quote from Bill Lye,

"Don't LOOK at anything in a physics lab. Don't TASTE anything in a chemistry lab. Don't SMELL anything in a biology lab. Don't TOUCH anything in a medical lab. And, most importantly, don't LISTEN to anything in a philosophy department." Smile
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:26 am
@fresco,
Or swung a poker at him, being Wittgenstein.
fresco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:41 am
@kuvasz,
(or vice versa with Popper doing the swinging)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:53 pm
I'm lost here. What is Philis' point? Could it be that Cinco de Mayo has stimulated this discussion?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:34 pm
@JLNobody,
I dunno. I confuse ontology with ontogeny.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:57 am
@JLNobody,
JLN,

Philis has cut and pasted my comment from here
http://able2know.org/topic/143543-14

There didn't seem to be much of a reason for starting a separate thread.

0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 01:59 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Why? Fresco used the term

nothing more exciting than stepping up to bat

hello everyone, always enjoy your posts guys, mine may be an acquired taste
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 02:53 am
There seem to be two related issues in this thread .

1. Does "philosophy" in general amount to "word salad" ? ...to which my answer would be "yes" in accordance with Wittgenstein's views.

2. Do particular philosophical positions as espoused by fresco (et al) amount to "word salad" ? ...to which my answer is again "yes" for those unfamiliar with the argument that language shapes "reality".

Note that this second point leads in two directions.
(a) Either "reality" as we know it is a function of language - the product of "social systems" - and this includes reality of "the self" and "others". (Call this the "top down" view)
(b) Or "reality" as we describe it it is a function of languaging - a mechanism of the general "life process" (aka "cognition") which can manifest in complex lifeforms - one such observation being called "self-awareness".
(Call this the "bottom up" view)

There is finally a "transcendent view" in which "social systems" , "selves" and "life" can viewed as manifestations of "holistic consciousness" rather than products of a process (either top down, or bottom up). Such a view is perhaps involved in discriminating between "spirituality" and "religiosity" insofar as the first transcends "reality" but the second assumes some particular version of it.
oolongteasup

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 05:17 am
@fresco,
Quote:
transcend

transcend but watch your language
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fresco's spewing crap-oLa'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:20:12