Beautiful Music

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:00 pm
I love Shaun Davey's "The Brendan Voyage," a suite for pipes and orchestra celebrating the voyage of Tim Severin in a curragh, a skin covered small Irish craft, that the legendary Brendan the Navigator used to sail to the New World.

There is only a brief bit on youtube covering this piece.
aidan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@plainoldme,
I love this song- I was in a pub in Oxford this weekend and this English busker came in and played this Irish rebel song- of course I loved it, the melody was so beautiful and I had no idea what it was about- I loved the words:
Quote:
Low lie the fields of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

I was so focused on those, I didn't really listen to the rest. He told me last time he sang this song in a pub in England he got kicked out - but people this time clapped and applauded. It is a beautiful song:

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:31 pm
@aidan,
I've heard that song before but I decided to look it up. It's been done as a punk rock song and as a reggae number and was medlied with Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues. I think I would prefer it done as a ballad as your singer did.
aidan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:22 pm
@plainoldme,
The guy who did it the other night is a jazz guitarist - he's kind of famous as a busker around Oxford - his name is John Conal Hinkes and he's known as Moonlight on the streets. He's an incredible jazz guitarist. He did a version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds that beats any other rendition I've ever heard of that song. Instrumental - no words.
(He's on youtube- but the production values of the video and sound are pretty bad - it's taped out on the street. I listened to it, but it doesn't at all do justice to his music when you hear it in real life).

On this song, the fields of atherny, I actually liked his vocals better than Paddy's and the music was sublime - he uses a cross between an acoustic and electric guitar. I can't remember what it's called, but the body is much thicker and it is amplified internally somehow - I didn't see that he plugged it into anything anywhere.

His wife is a Japanese woman named Kyoko. She has a cd singing with him - very sweet voice- my favorite was what she called a Japanese version of country and western. She said it was about drinking sake and feeling sad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:53 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I heard that awhile back, the music makes me feel sad

Yes, I can understand that.
It makes me feel rather wistful, chai.
But then, quite a bit of beautiful music does.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:02 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
msolga wrote:
Quote:
May the wind be gentle,
may the wave(s) be calm,
and may every one of the elements
warmly fulfill our (your) wishes.

Quote:
... and then everyone goes off to cheat on each other. Love the opera!

Not so different to real life, Thomas.
<sigh>
But for that perfect moment, all three sang so beautifully together.
Exquisite.

(I'm no expert on opera, but I know what I like! Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:04 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
How can the beautiful just be one? There are so many beautiful pieces.

Oh good, glad you it it that way..

I will post more then, POM! Smile
plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@msolga,
Be my guest!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@plainoldme,
Good thread, will be back.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:06 pm
I think this is heavenly.....

Combination of Sanskrit and Latin.

I heard this the other day while in deep relaxation at the end of yoga class, and could have gladly floated off and never come back.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@chai2,
I used to sleep at the end of the first yoga class I took . . . the next one was far too vigorous.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:09 pm
@plainoldme,
listen to the music.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:10 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I heard this the other day while in deep relaxation at the end of yoga class, and could have gladly floated off and never come back.

Oooooh, it's doing the same to me, chai!

Which is rather pleasant, I must say! Smile
chai2

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:13 pm
@msolga,
The artists name is Sheila Chandra.

I'm going to look to download some MP3's of hers from Amazon, and rip it to a disc, so I can listen at work and not have it take up space.

I have an ipod thingy, but I never think of using it.
msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:19 pm
@chai2,
I like it very much, too!
Very gentle & soothing.
Ahhhhhh.

(I'll see if I can track it down, too.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:23 pm
Today, for no particular reason, I feel like wallowing in self-pity. The perfect sound track is Tchaikovsky's piano trio in A minor. Richter, Gutman, and Kagan play it beautifully.
Thomas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:16 am
@Thomas,
Just so you don't have to poke around on YouTube for the other four parts of the piece, here they are:

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:27 am
I love the mystical quality of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsD0FDLOKGA&feature=related
chai2

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 04:55 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I love the mystical quality of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsD0FDLOKGA&feature=related

I just woke up, and that sounds very nice.

As far as mystical, I think it sounds that way to me because it reminds me (a little) of something from a Tim Burton movie.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:25 am
Over the years, I have heard several British music icons, from both the days of 60s album or underground rock or from folk, say that they first became interested in music because of AMerican records. My former husband and I were friends with a British couple who were not musicians but who became interested in music in the same way.

What a boon to mankind sound recording is. All those delta bluesmen who would only have been known within a 25 mile radius of their homes became international music leaders, influencing millions. No musician has to re-invent the wheel.

While we no longer entertain our friends by playing music in our own homes . . . well, some do but it isn't the widespread practice it once was . . . we have been so lucky because we can listen to any sort of music we want at any time we want.

Youtube is only five years old but what a boon it is. I'm saddened when some of my favorite pieces disappear but, for the most part, if I am trying to remember a piece of music, I can generally find it. Look how youtube has enriched us on a2k.
0 Replies