Need help w/vegetable garden.

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:13 pm
I have two questions for anyone who is knowledgable. I live in Indiana and my garden which I let lay fallow for two years did really poorly this year despite a lot of money invested in planting. It has good drainage, good soil that I bought--it's 30'x40' and I planted quite a variety and almost NOTHING did well. Winter is almost here and I'd like to know what to do to prep it for next year. Should I lime it? Do a PH test? We got overrun with weeds last year--is the solution preen? HELP!!!
Also--do you prune roses before winter? We have a rose garden that did very well--how do Iprotect it this winter? They are quite big. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 952 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:54 pm
I don't know if you have a university or any place to get soil tested but if you can, take several sample from differing spots in the garden and have them tested.
If it's lacking some nutirents you might need some manure or compost.
The soil might be too rich and you may need to add some lime or sand.
Ask local gardeners for some tips, they will know the area and may be able to direct you to appropriate plants that will grow well in your area.
Farmers markets are a boon of information.
Roses - Cut back the stems in the spring, cover root base well with straw or leaves.
Ceili
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:17 am
you should get your soil tested and guide on that. Fertilizers can be overapplied. Especially nitrogen,the symptom of its overuse is great verdent leafy plants but no veggies.
Since its almost groundfreeze time, quickly go out and buy some winter rye seed. about 25 lb bag. Spread it over your garden and rake the seed in. IT WILL GROW even this late. I just planted a 20 acre field with it yesterday.
if youve too much N, you will have the rye take it up and sequester it and provide tilth to the soil for spring plowing. Always, fertilize according to need, never more. indiana is a big limestone soil state, so chances are you dont have a pH problem unless youve been adding Sulfur.
Also, what veggies were you trying to grow? if tomatoes, add some epsom salt in the planting hole next year cause they are heavy feeders of magnesium.

test your soil, your county extension office has the packages all made up and theyll be sent to the nearest land grant college lab.

Dont know a damn thing about roses. weve got japanese beetles as big as box turtles and they chow down on roses. Roses are too high maintenance for me.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:42 am
Does it get enough sun? We cut down a few trees around our garden and had much better yield this year than previously.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:52 am
baltindycolt, I just came across your post.
As far as roses go the main thing to do is cut off spent flowers down to the first leaf with 5 leaves. Never cut more than a third of the bush at one time. Don't trim roses too close to winter. They like deep drip watering. But you said your roses went well, perhaps leaving them alone is best. First year I had roses I trimmed too much out. If you trim it is best to trim old wood.
I am thinking about spring also. New ideas and such.

I am having growing beans, believe it or not. Everyone says beans are easy. I am having no luck. I have picked a new place to try in the spring.

I compost all year to add to the dirt in the garden. Compost is the best.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:59 am
I just got my Rohrers seed catalog. You can write to Roheres Seed Company , SMoketown Pa. (dont know the zip) Smoketown aint Manhattan , so itlle get there no trouble. They have a very good catalog with lots of old fashioned veggies. (Carrots that taste like sweet carrots not red styrofoam< Tomatoes that must be left on the bush otherwise they scream if you pick too early) Its not too early to get seed catalogs. I got my wife a pack of luffa seeds so she could have bath sponges (Im so special)
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:39 pm
luffa seeds, that is impressive.
0 Replies