Spill baby spill, slippery politics

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 02:56 pm
@rosborne979,
I heard on NPR today that the oil companies "self-insure" which means they are not insured by an outside entity. You are correct in stating that the industry has, until now, been successful in getting limits placed on liability. Now, of course, there is a lot of support for raising the limits raised exponentially.
Opponents say that would drive out the small drilling companies.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
Now the Feds are consulting.............James Cameron.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Now the Feds are consulting.............James Cameron.

He does have quite a bit of experience filming at depth...

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Definitely makes him the go-to-guy, then.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:01 pm
@rosborne979,
I think you're wrong here.

All it will take is a rise in gas prices for people to forget all about this oil-rig clusterfuck and keep asking the oil companies and the government to make gas prices cheap again.

I've never seen people get as upset and obnoxious as they do when gas prices go up 1-3%. People drive across town to save a few cents per gallon. I know someone who will drive 20 minutes out of his way for 4 cents/gallon cheaper gas. He has a 20 gallon tank, so he saves about 80 cents/week on gas by doing this. I tell him he's an idiot, he doesn't disagree, but doesn't change either.

If gas prices went up 10% because we stopped drilling in the gulf, the country would riot.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:48 pm
@plainoldme,
Well about 55 years ago the U.S. were induced by the British to take over and finance a network of spys and operatives they had created in Iran to engineer a coup that would overthrow the elected prime minister Mohammed Mossadech. The dispute with the UK involved Iran's desire to sign a deal with the British Iranian Oil Co. (a forerunner of BP) giving Iran a 50-50 split of the petroleum profits - just like the deal American companies had recently concluded with Saudi Arabia in the creation of ARAMCO. The Labor government of Britain insisted that they needed to maintain the 90-10 split they were then getting in order to provide welfare and social benefits to Britons. Mossadech threatened a strike at the island refinery at Abadan and refused to accept less than 50 - 50. The then new president Dwight Eisenhower agreed to help the British, but apparently felt badly used by the deal, and less than 2 years later when the British, French and Israelis invaded Suez he gave then five days to get out of Egypt.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:53 pm
@georgeob1,
That isn't what I was thinking of. BP was involved in a process of land grabbing. A particular term was used to describe the process. It was not eminent domain.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:46 am

Why doesn't Obama request help from James Cameron and all of his Hollywood buddies?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:55 am
more tweets from the twitter account BP loves to hate

@BPGlobalPR

Just got 100k followers and our oil is headed to Florida. You know what this means... WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD! #bpcares

If we're being accused of being criminals, we want to be tried by a jury of our peers- wealthy execs who don't give a damn. #fairisfair

We've hired Dick Cheney's former publicist to head up our PR dept. Hopefully she can make us as lovable as Dick Cheney.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:05 pm
Quote:
HOUMA, La. " BP officials were casting about for another way to slice through a leaking riser pipe located a mile underwater after a diamond-studded wire saw operated by a robot got stuck and was later found to be ineffective
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/us/03spill.html?hp

we are all surprised that a BP plan does not work right? Thought so.....
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
I heard that it got stuck but not about "ineffective."
Did yall know that BP stock accounts for 6% of the total value of the London stock exchange and BP dividends account for 6% of the dividend income to UK pension funds etc.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
and this was just the riser pipe....there is still the pole inside of the riser that the drill bit is on that needs to be cut. Well over a week ago I heard an engineer say that this might be difficult to do, pretty thick and made of high quality metal.

Stay tuned, this next couple of days may make for a great show. Perhaps it will be of the keystone cops variety.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:33 pm
from Newsweek
What Not to Say When Your Company Is Ruining the World
BP CEO Tony Hayward has made gaffe after gaffe defending his company's response to the gulf oil spill. Here are some of his many unfortunate remarks.
http://www.newsweek.com/content/newsweek/2010/06/02/what-not-to-say-when-your-company-is-ruining-the-world-/_jcr_content/body/mainimage.img.jpg/1275506501104.jpg
On May 28, Hayward points to the site of the gulf oil spill.

There is a long and awkward history of corporate leaders saying the wrong thing when their companies are facing criticism. Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein responded to his company's role in contributing to the recent financial crisis by suggesting he was doing "God's work." But BP CEO Tony Hayward, whose company just hired a former spokeswoman for Vice President Dick Cheney to help handle the media, has outdone even Blankfein in his unfortunate comments since the company's Deepwater Horizon oil rig blew up on April 20. The blast killed 11 people and sent thick, rust-colored oil billowing into the Gulf of Mexico, destroying natural habitats and devastating the coastal economy.

BP initially estimated that between 1,000 and 5,000 barrels of oil were gushing into the gulf each day. The current consensus pegs the figure at between 12,000 and 19,000 barrels. At 44 days in, it is already the biggest spill in U.S. history, and with no signs of a quick solution to halt the flow of crude, it's dwarfing the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska.

Among Hayward's bizarre statements since the accident:

On April 29, The New York Times reported that Hayward, apparently exasperated, turned to fellow executives in his London office and asked, “What the hell did we do to deserve this?" (A possible answer might be the company's 760 safety violations over the last three years. ExxonMobil, in contrast, has had just one.)

On May 14, Hayward attempted to persuade The Guardian that "the Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume."

Only a few days later, he told Sky News that "the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to be very, very modest." That might surprise the many scientists who see the spill as a true environmental calamity, the full extent of which remains unclear.

On May 30, Hayward was less bullish and decided to play the sympathy card. He told the Today show that "there’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back." (He has since apologized for those remarks.)

On May 31, he told the world that ecosystem-threatening underwater oil plumes"consisting of droplets of partially dissolved oil suspended in water that many scientists have observed"do not exist. He said simply, "There aren't any plumes."

On June 1, Hayward responded to claims that cleanup workers were being sickened by the fumes from the oil they were exposed to by suggesting another possible, non-oil-spill cause. When nine workers fell ill, according to Yahoo News, he told CNN that "food poisoning is clearly a big issue."

But Hayward is not alone in his manful struggle to spin the news in the face of daunting factual evidence. His colleague Bob Dudley, managing director of BP, told NBC's Meet the Press on May 30 that "I think Tony's doing a fantastic job." To paraphrase President George W. Bush during another poorly managed Gulf Coast disaster: heckuva job, Tony.

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
@djjd62,
nasty news , courtesy of BBC NEWS :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/10230252.stm

Quote:
Meanwhile, a detailed computer modelling study indicated that oil from the spill might extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer.

The National Center for Atmospheric Research said once oil entered the "Loop Current", part of the Gulf Stream which sweeps around the Florida panhandle, it would be only weeks before it reached Florida's Atlantic shores.

and BP still maintains that they think that a solution might be near - never mind the damage that has already been done .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:25 pm
From The Big Picture

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/oil_06_03/o01_23681845.jpg

more
Below viewing threshold (view)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
@JPB,
I hope someone cleaned up that bird.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PsxUTIl4C5U[/youtube]

I think this guy's suggestion is basically what they are currently trying.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:28 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

From The Big Picture

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/oil_06_03/o01_23681845.jpg

more

That photo is whipping around the internet.
NPR spoke to a director of a bird recovery program who has the bird. They got it before hypothermia set in.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:48 am

Gulf Lawmakers Plead With Obama to Ease Drilling Ban, Warn of Economic Blow

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Politics/rig_gulf_053110_monster_397x224.jpg

The White House on Thursday acknowledged there will be job losses from the moratorium.

"I don't think there's any doubt," Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said.
0 Replies